Join Shelby Forums Today

Cobra in a Toyota ?

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by A1965GT350, Jun 14, 2009.

1. A1965GT350

A1965GT350 Active Member

Every Sat. morning in Southern CA, car guys get to bring out their rides for a parking lot get together at Adams Ave. Donuts. It’s called Donut Derelicts. No rules or classes, just bring what you like. The cars that show up are cool and amazing. Everything from the newest Shelby’s to this 1980 Toyota with a 4.6 4V Cobra engine and running gear swap. The workmanship was great. Kind a makes you wonder why...:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Now thats COOL.

You ask WHY?
    <01> Because it can be done.
    <02> To be different.
    <03> Why Not.
    <04> Because its Cool.
    <05> To make it a Sleeper.
    <06> Just Because.
    <07> Bored.
    <08> One Beer to many.
    <09> It was a Double Dog Dare.
    <10> To piss off the Wife.

3. A1965GT350

A1965GT350 Active Member

:laf:
    Or because you wanted to learn how to weld..Which is one of things that he mentioned to me.
    I wonder what Moe. R. the guy who assembled the engine (and signed it, see decal pic) would say if they saw their work now

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Why not, I guess???
    He certainly created something unique...
    RS

5. Brian K. Green

Brian K. Green Well-Known Member

You have to appreciate anybody who desires Ford and Shelby's Horsepower!:cigar:

6. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Its all in the way you look at it.. I don't see a 1980 Toyota with a cobra motor and running gear ...I see a Cobra Motor and running gear in a 1980 Toyota.. chances are the car was destroyed and finding another original that just needs a motor would be expensive to say the least. Find a cheap car to wrap it up in and hit the streets with low insurance rates.. a sleeper for sure. Who's gonna say they were smoked by a 1980 Toyota???
    I remember having a 64 Austin Healey Sprite in 1973 before the oil embargo and needing a motor and in the area I lived..motors for Austins were extinct. Junkyard trip found a wrecked 340 6pak dodge dart along with the running gear and talk about a conversation piece. Had to take the 6pak off and put on a single 4V carb to put on the hood for state inspection. After it passed off comes the 4v and back to buying fuel!! then it was Sunoco 260... .53 cents per gallon..yep!! it had lead in it. Could not keep rubber on the rear tires for some reason. Way cool car.. The Hillbilly Cobra we called it!!!

7. A1965GT350

A1965GT350 Active Member

WOW, another great engine swap. Hmmm, putting a small thinwall casting multi-carb american V8 into a lightweight 2 seater British sports car. Haven't we seen that before :thumbup: Got any pics :evo:

8. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

I think my brother has all the photos... in another state!! He's not computer oriented as much as I unfortunately.. We painted it purple and flared and shaped the rear fenders so that we could use factory Vega GT rims and tires. They bolted right on to the bolt pattern on the stock Axle...Yeah ..that ratio of small ring gear made for a top speed of 70 mph but the tires were still smokin!!!
    We sold it to a guy who trashed it trying to show off to everyone.. Those were our early days of backyard engineering!!!

9. rumble

rumble New Member

Re: Cobra in a Toyota ? And whats wrong with a V8 toyota?

Attached: My 1978 Toyota Corona with a 1970's Toyota Alloy Hemi Smallblock V8. Whole car weighs under 900KG (under 2000 lbs). Chevy 10 bold diff and BMW running gear ware the only things non toyota. You guys will probably hate this :)

If you dont, just type V8 Corona into youtube to hear her start up (and a bit of build)

Attached Files:

10. david.lee264

david.lee264 Banned

I dont think its a very good option. But it seems working.

11. rumble

rumble New Member

If you mean the knocky sound, it is just the new cams bedding in. Fresh re-con/build and new lumpier cams...Otherwise, it is a 1978, not 2008. ..... but thanks for your oh so kind words :evo:

DSC00794.JPG
    24102009056.jpg