Join Shelby Forums Today

California registration UXR 323

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by skidado, Jan 9, 2007.

1. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

I've been looking through some old documentation that came with my car ('67 GT350 #2751), and I found the Import Declaration documents from 1974 when the car came in to England.

Judging by the exporter's address, and some subsequent info that people on this forum have sent me, I am as sure as I can be that the car spent its early life in California (San Jose / Palo Alto area).

I have now discovered that the car was registered UXR 323. Does anyone know if there is a website or some other means of tracking the original owners through this registration number?

Many thanks

David

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Folks, this number sounds like a California License plate number. Can anyone help with this?

3. Len

Len Well-Known Member

If someone finds access, I have a missing link in ownership history of a red 68 gt350 convertible # 311. I have the original black plate # ZCN 509.:thumbup:
    Many Thanks,
    Len

4. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

10 years ago California answered our inquire that records generally go back 3 years. Any older records, if they exist, would have to be subpoenaed.

Not sure if old records even exist in CA. A "data rentention and access company" sold some states a new data system in the 1990's so that everything could go on computer and all those old records that took up too much space could be destroyed as that old information "was out of date". Some states wiped out decades of old records, gone forever.

With that said, you might research what records were available back in the day on the county level or city level. Its possible some old microfiche exist that is indexed by tag number or owner name. Some states produced these sets and sold them to local governments with monthly or quarterly updates. But that can be like a holy grail search too... 40 years later.

5. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to one of the few uk shelby owners!
    UXR 323 Seems like a possible california license plate.They are assigned to
    the car when it is bought new and stay with that car for life,in the state of California.The Department of Motor Vehicles is located in the State capital,Sacramento.Iwould suggest writing them and inquireing about the information you seek,and if the arcives
    department has records of this vintage,they may provide you with copies for a price.Have you posted an ad in the shelby club newsletter?
    best wishes and dont give up..

6. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty odd lic plate number for a 68. Wonder if they had difficulty selling it or if it went to Calif after it was sold.

7. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Great observation and Thanks for your reply.(ZCN 509).Car was transferred to California from New York. I am thinking in 1969.?
    Len

8. Bobs350

Bobs350 Member

Hi,
    Being a new member and old owner I came across this post. Being Native Californian I can say that cars Registered in Ca during the '60's had the black/yellow Plates with a 3 letter 3 number sequence. My '67 was UYT-366 and my '68 GT-350 is XAR-930. In the early '70's with all the new DOT regs they switched to a Reflective plate with a 3 number 3 letter sequence. a friends '72 Mach 1 is 438LQW.
    Ca did switch to a new Data Base in the '90's at a cost of $40M but was deemed non-compatible with other data-bases in use by the State and it's Police Agencies so it was "scrapped" and a more compatible system installed. (wish I had that kind of $ to throw around) I believe in 92/93.
    I'm having a difficult time with my '68 as I stored it out of State for close to 20 Years while I finished My Military Career. Stopped Registering it in 82 so I'm trying to access the Archives to hold on to my original Plates. Have a friend at DMV that is trying to track the info down for me. He's convinced that the records still exist on Mag-tape somewhere. If I have any luck I'll let you know.
    Try the '68 Registrar at SAAC, He has tons of Warranty Info for these cars.
    Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  9. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd just let you know that I have managed to track down the original owner of my car #2751. I requested copies of some old documents held by Dave Mathews at SAAC and the Dealer Invoice had the original owner's name and address. I googled that name and address and came up with a new address. I wrote to that address and got a very positive response from an astounded original owner! Very satisfying.

David