Join Shelby Forums Today

bought a motor and think I got a box with shelby gt 350 parts

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by pugh433, Feb 27, 2011.

1. pugh433

pugh433 Member

Can anyone please confirm or help with any info. I have searched the internet and keep getting different stuff.

First the intake is a high rise aluminum cobra intake. It looks like other pics I have come across where the location of Cobra is cast and the firing order looks to be close together and not spaced out like I have read some repop ones are. Casting S1MS 9424A. The bottom is stamped Deco AWL JN. Is this a 65 Shelby GT 350 intake?

Next the carb. He said "there is a carb they ran in the Shelby burried in the crate".
    I found a paxton blower box with what I think is a Shelby 715 cfm Holley carb ( S2MS-9510-A / List-3259-1 / 612 ) Did they all have the lemans bowls? Maybe he took them off to use on the blower? I bought the blower as well, looks to be mid 60's, kind of cool! Could this carb have come with this intake?

Last the block. He said it was a hi po block. It has stock bore and it has the casting numbers C80E-6015A and 302 stamped in the valley. The main caps are stamped C30-E. I know its a long shot but could this be a 68 Shelby block?

It was a nice older guy who sold this stuff to me and said he had a lot of money into it and it is just in the way and he has other hobbys now. The block has a stroker crank, forged alum. pistons and has been sitting ove 10 yrs and was never even fired with the new pistons. I also got 351w heads ported, screw in studs, bigger valves bla bla and the are still oiled in the bag from the shop and were never run. He sold me everything with all the supercharger stuff for $700 so I am pretty sure he was not tryink to scam me with bogus parts or trying to pass of things as something they were not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was just looking for a sbf for my 28 model a pickup. These parts might be better off going to someones restoration instead of my pickup truck! Thanks for any help! pugh433

2. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

3. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Pugh433,
    As Zray said, pics would help, but I'll take a try based on the descriptions-

The intake sounds like it could be the correct one for a '65 or a '66 carryover.
    If it is the correct one for a carryover, I would be interested in it if you are looking to sell it.
    The carb sounds like it is an original 3259 for a 66 GT350. The date code decodes as the second week of January, 1966.
    For the block, I do not believe there was ever a C8 hipo block, but does the one you have say "Hecho in Mexico" in the valley? If so it is a mexican block that has the same size main caps as the original hipos.

Jay

4. pugh433

pugh433 Member

I will get some pics posted up as soon as I get a chance.

Jay, I looked for the Hecho in Mexico and it's not in the valley. I looked for numbers stamped above where the z bar mounts but found S and D one above the other. Not sure what that means? Here is a link I tound that clamis to be a 68 Shelby 302 that looks the same as mine I believe. ( I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet:noway:)

http://www.mustangtek.com/block/C8OE-6015-A.html

Thanks, Pugh433

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Let me help you out with the block. It's not as valuable as you hope. All 1968 302 blocks are the same. Nothing special about a "Shelby block" . IF you can find someone that wants your specific date code or you can match it to a car, you might get a little more. Otherwise it's the same as every other 68 302 block.

6. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

As mentioned good pics will help a lot.

Are all the main caps cast C3OE or just the rear cap? If the rear main cap is cast C3OE-A that is correct for a 289 HiPo. Real HiPo caps are only cast with the cap number, AFAIK only the rear cap is cast with a C3 number. The block could be a 65-67 HiPo 289 service block, there is one on ebay right now with pics for comparison:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230590543368

If all the caps have other stuff cast on them this sounds more like a Mexican block...

7. pugh433

pugh433 Member

Ok, pic dump time. Start from the top.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

main caps are numbered except for the c30 e-a (I accidentally put c30-e in the first post)

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

here are the s d stamp i found

[​IMG][/IMG]

Hope this will help. Thanks, pugh433

8. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

re the carb:

it looks like a 715 cfm carb that came on a '66 GT-350. When the Paxton was installed they must have ditched the LeMans bowls and put the side pivot bowls on so the carb would fit inside the Paxton enclosure.

Too bad the original bowls weren't in the box too.

If you decide you want to sell the carb (or trade) as is, send me an email to the address I posted earlier.

Z.

9. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

love to see a photo of the Paxton as well. It you post it's serial number we can give you an idea when it was sold and who sold it.

Z.

10. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

pugh443,
    I am interested in the intake if you are interested in selling it. I sent you a PM with contact info, or send me your phone number and I will call you.

Thanks,
    Jay

11. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

How about posting a photo of the blower box?

12. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Very interesting block, not Mexican as they have different casting numbers. Those sure look like real HiPo main caps. Orange paint on the caps and rods is further evidence this could well be a C8OE hipo service block. What size are the rod bolts?

AFAIK info is a little shady on C8 service blocks so you may want to post these pics over on the HiPo Forum. Of course this could also be a pieced together motor but I doubt anyone would go so far as to replicate the orange paint on a C8 motor.

13. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

We can definetly rule out a 1968 Shelby block...the date is too late

B)

14. pugh433

pugh433 Member

Ok, I talked to the guy who I bought the motor from today. He assured me that it was a hi po block and it was off a Fairlane. He bought the motor from an engineer that worked at the ford Dearborn plant that was a into drag racing. He also has the 4 11 (8in I think form a fairlane?) gear with locker that he offered to me for $250. Should I jump on that? I could prob get it for $200. He also said that the guys who did the motor were big into the Fairlane stuff and that the guys had a Fairlane that was a record holder at Milan drag in MI and they really knew their stuff. The block is at my dads, I will measure rod bolts tomorrow.

Now for the paxton. I have been taking pics with my phone sending them to my email and loading them to my photobucket. Something is not working right and only received one pic. I will post the rest later. The supercharger is black with a red paxton lable. The pulley says Studebaker and have 156258 on it and the brackets are cast and say mustang. Looks like there is a Thunderbird logo on the tag and stamped on the supercharger body. The number on the supercharger is 1558476. Here is the only pic I got. I think studebaker owned paxton for a short time if not mistaken?

[​IMG][/IMG]

I am in the process of having the carb rebuilt that I got and want to know if it makes a big difference if I buy the repop holley lemans bowls or if I should try to buy the older ones. I would guess the body of the carb is the main concern but want to rebuild it the best way that makes sence. Thanks, pugh433

15. pugh433

pugh433 Member

The block is cast 8k9 ( november 9th 1968) I found that link I shared ( http://www.mustangtek.com/block/C8OE-6015-A.html) then saw this on the hi po forum and is what made me think that

It is possible for the C8OE-6015-A block to be used as a late 1967 289 HiPo. I personally have not see one, but with only 489 1967 Mustang HiPos, it might a while before we hear from a late 1967 Mustang HiPo owner to verify the possibility -- or I might say, the probability. The C8OE-A block was a 302 block. It was essentially identical to the 289 C5AE-6015-E block except the cylinder sleeve castings were slightly longer. Ford allowed the C5AE-E block to deplete in late 1967 production and phased in the C8OE-A block in its place. When 1968 production began, the C8OE-A block was used for 302 production. It is during this brief time in late 1967 production that some 289 HiPos might have used this block. Perhaps within this forum we might hear from someone that can verify such a case.

I have no idea what the hell I have.

16. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

unless the carb is going back on a '66 Shelby, then I wouldn't get hung up on what vintage go on it.

SELF SERVING PLEA: in my opinion, you should trade the main body of the carb it to me for my '67 date coded Holley 715 main body, or sell it as is.

As you said in your first post, "These parts might be better off going to someones restoration instead of my pickup..."

Z.

17. TJinSA

TJinSA Well-Known Member

I'm game for the Paxton!

18. pugh433

pugh433 Member

This is totally going to sound greedy and probably selfish but I was thinking I would be able to make a little more selling the correct year carb together with the correct year intake. If I find that it really won't be in my best interest to do this I will concider swapping you.:thumbup: Unfortunately with my current employment status I feel substancially underpaid and am dropping every dime into the best parts that I can get for my truck. I was very lucky to find the stuff I did and am just trying to help fund my project.

TJinSA- I have been unable to come up with any solid info on this supercharger. I think my dad is going to run it on his 65 mustang but I'm no 100% sure on that.

19. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The odds are against it. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Bob

20. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

not greedy at all.

I'm not sure you wouldn't do better selling the parts separately on ebay. in any case, us know when & where you have them up for sale.

since you will be selling them, I wouldn't bother having the carb restored (or even buying new bowls). I don't think you would be able to recoup the price of the restoration over and above what the carb would bring as it is.

best of luck,

Z.