Join Shelby Forums Today

An Evening with Carroll Shelby - Peterson Automotive Museum

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by rshelby, Oct 26, 2007.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

An Evening with Carroll Shelby
    Thursday November 8, 2007 at 6:30pm

Carroll Shelby, the legendary Texan who rose from bankrupt chicken farmer to automotive superstar, speaks of himself today as one who builds “affordable cars that are respected and can beat the competition.” Over the years he’s proven himself as a self-taught, no-nonsense entrepreneur of excellence, seeing the name “Shelby” become an American icon and motorsport legend known throughout the planet, perhaps the automobile world’s most famous, indefatigable name and image of all time. To pay tribute to this man who’s always looked beyond life’s limits, the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles will present “An Evening with Carroll Shelby” on Thursday, November 8, 2007. This extraordinarily distinctive gala will live on forever for all who join Carroll and his celebrated friends, colleagues and many historic and new cars associated with his career spanning six decades—and still counting.

Continuing the Petersen’s annual tradition of honoring motorsport greats, the buffet dinner and Museum’s program of eminent personality interviews and exciting racing footage—including an auction of prized memorabilia—will be hosted again by racing’s acclaimed master of ceremonies, Dave McClelland. Authentic Shelby vehicles will be displayed at the Museum. Invited pals and colleagues of Carroll Shelby, his wife Cleo, and Shelby family and friends including Bill Neale, Allen Grant, Bill Edgar, Bill Krause, Bob Bondurant, Dan Gurney, Dave Friedman, Don Prudhomme, Jim Hall, John Morton, Linda Vaughn, Parnelli Jones, Phil Remington, Amy Boylan, William Edgar, Dave Friedman, Phil Hill, Tom McIntyre, Dick Messer, Bruce Meyer, Margie Petersen, among others.

Previous Petersen Museum tributes have been sell-outs, meaning early ticket purchase is an absolute must for those who don’t want to miss “An Evening with Carroll Shelby” with Carroll and his honored guests. To guarantee your admission at this one-time dinner and full-course of activities, please call The Petersen Automotive Museum at 323-964-6366 for reserved ticket purchase. For advance ticket prices: $125 per person for Non-Checkered Flag 200 members or the general public and $100 for Checkered Flag 200 members. All tickets sold at the door of the event will be $125. Ticket price includes dinner, program, and parking. A cash bar will be available. Tickets are not mailed; your reservations will be held at the door. Tickets are non-refundable.

The Petersen Automotive Museum is located at 6060 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90036-3605, with enclosed parking and Museum entrance just south of Wilshire on Fairfax Avenue.

“An Evening with Carroll Shelby” is sponsored by Ford Motor Company and the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. The evening is brought to you by the Checkered Flag 200 members of the Petersen Automotive Museum.

Peterson Automotive Museum Website

Attached Files:

2. rshelby

Kinda late notice here, I almost forgot to post this but better late than never I suppose. I'll be at this event. Is anyone else planning to go?
    Randall

3. isaak-gt500kr

isaak-gt500kr Well-Known Member

Randall, my wife and I will be there also. I am looking forward to meeting you in person. Do you know how we are supposed to dress for this event? I might need to go buy a suit. :thumbsup:

4. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

An evening with Carroll Shelby

Last night, Thursday Nov 8th, the Petersen Automobile Museum, here in Los Angeles, celebrated the life and achievements of Carroll Hall Shelby. And what a night it was. In attendance were Carroll, his wife Cleo, Dan Gurney, Bill Krause, Bob Bonduraunt, Phil Remington, Allen Grant, Don the snake Prudhomme, Parnelli Jones, Jim Hall, John Morton and many others who's names escape me. It was also the largest employee reunion in years with 60-70 Shelby American employees in attendance.

The evening was full of stories from drivers, owners and fabricators. An auction was held benefiting the museum with signed photographs ranging in price from $3000-$8000 an autographed helmet bearing the names of the above attendees that went for nearly $10K and two new team shirts, each autographed by Carroll sold for nearly $1500 each.

Last night was a night to remember.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  5. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Re: An evening with Carroll Shelby

Sounds like a ball of fun and a great amount of Automotive legends were certainly gathered up to attend! maybe one of those Speed Channel types were on hand to capture footage?? Randall Shelby was also in attendance and hopefully will give us a full report upon his return!! as for the Shelby Workers reuniting, that is nice. SAAC has arranged several of these "Original SAI Employee" reunions in the last few years and started what is called the "Donkey fund" to help these former employees who have ended up upon hard financial times. Good stuff!:thumbsup:

6. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

What a night that musta been!

Hmm, that would have been a prime chance to settle a forum post about the 67 Shelby tag "Z" stamping and what it meant:laf:

7. GT350DAVE

GT350DAVE Well-Known Member

Carrol doesn't know but Fred Godell did. Ask the 67 Registrar, it was a QC mark.

8. isaak-gt500kr

My wife and I were there and had a great evening listening to a lot of great stories. We were hoping to meet our fearless leader Randall Shelby but the crowd was huge and the name tags were small. Hope to do it again. :thumbsup:

9. rshelby

Sorry I missed you Tony..."the crowd was huge and the name tags were small." Well said! My wife and I had a great time and I look forward to giving a full update when I return to Texas. I took bunch of photos and hope at least a few of them turn out ok. Kinda tough lighting in there for a simple point and shoot camera. Truly a great event!!! Details soon! :thumbsup:
    Randall

10. isaak-gt500kr

We will do it again Randall. I am hoping to make the birthday bash in Vegas and hopefully bringing the GT and a few other things. Can't wait for your pics! We took a few as well but I will look at yours first. I'm not much of a photographer. :cigar: