Join Shelby Forums Today

715 cfm Holley Carb

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Jerry_Moss, Aug 6, 2007.

1. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

The carb on my car is dated 4B5. The guy I got the engineering sheet from made me promise I would not distribute it. I will check with him.

2. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

check with him twice please! :thumbsup:
    This is very interesting. And don´t worry about me distributing
    it here in germany. I have never met a guy who is more sick about
    Shelby than me.

Bye Jerry
    :guns:

3. Jerry_Moss

Hi guys

Next monday visitors from the states will bring me my 3259 715cfm
    Holley carb! :thumbsup: But,.....
    As i showed the carb to my engine builder he said he don´t believe they
    hat tis carb on a race car because of the vacuum secondarys and the yoke.
    Hmm,.... then i checked on my computers and you could see one that had
    the yoke thing (?) removed on the carb and one had it on.
    But couldn´t find a picture where you could see the right side of the carb.
    He said that for a manual tranny it is better to have it converted to a double
    pumper. All seems logic but why did´nt they do it???

To all you guys with manual tranny,...what are your carbs? Vacuum secondarys??

Bye Jerry

4. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

What yoke are you talking about? The race cars all used vacuum secondary’s. Double pumper carbs are better, but Holley didn't introduce them until the mid to late 1970's. I don't know if anyone modified the carbs for mechanical secondary’s as this opens up another can of worms. Most drivers were particularly sensitive to carb modifications. The relationship between the guy who worked on the carb and the driver was very important.

There was a special engineered carb for the 427 GT-40 that had the secondary’s cammed to open with the primaries and brass bushings in the throttle shafts. The accelerator pump nozzle was located right in the center and squired into all four barrels. This carb didn't have an air horn and was never a production item, no TV views or parts listing. A lot of the design features were later incorporated into the List 4224 drag racing carbs.

5. Jerry_Moss

Hi

i meant Choke sorry. If you look in the Shelby Mustang Book of Tom Cocoran
    you can see that the Choke mechanism is removed on the carb on the R Model.
    Take a close look please. Another R Model on the net hat the choke mechanism.
    Hm,.... With or without what was original on the R?
    How is your car during rapid acceleration Bill? Do you think it gets a bit lean?
    Please discribe how it is.

bye Jerry

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  6. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

I think most of the racers removed the choke assembly, rules permitting. (Can't get away with this in NHRA Stock and Super Stock classes). My car spins right to 7000 with no problems. (non-stock camshaft and LOTS of head work):guns:

7. Jerry_Moss

Hi Bill

Thanks alot can´t wait to get this car finished!
    We will see how the vacuum secondaries will work on mine.

Thanks Jerry
    :guitar:

8. Jerry_Moss

Hi guys

My carb has arrived from the states and it is awesome!
    Nobody replyed on Bo´s doubt that the R Models had
    bigger carbs i sticked to the 715cfm. No electric choke.
    I have to do the fuel lines over again they are bended
    pretty bad. But the rest looks ok. Another piece for my big
    puzzle.

Bye Jerry
    :thumbsup:

9. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Bo was right the R model used the larger 780 cfm carb like the 427 single four carb. The R model cam was referred to as the Le Mans solid lifter cam in the Ford literature.It was the next hotter solid lifter cam available from the factory hipo solid cam.I have seen the R model carbs with and without the manual choke.

10. Jerry_Moss

Hi Bob

Thanks for that information. The only thing i could do now would be this.
    I have an 780cfm 3310 carb on my coupe now. I could convert it and put
    the Le Mans bowls on that one what do you think??
    All this is not as easy as i first thought. :doh:

Bye Jerry
    :thumbup:

11. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Hi Jerry,
    I wouldn't mess with the newly bought 715 Holley.
    Test it first and make sure that you get it sync'ed
    correctly for your engine.
    Texas Swede

12. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I am in agreement with BO. First off only a tiny fraction of 1% is even going to know it is supposed to have a 780cfm on a R model and 2 you couldn't tell that it wasn't unless you looked at the butterflys and or the numbers on the metering blocks which like the butterfly's are very harded to see. Of coarse the list number on the air horn is a give away but I don't think it's a issue.Your engine will probably run better if useing the smaller(715 is still over carburated for most 289's) carb.

13. rr64

rr64 Well-Known Member

Personal Experiences – For What They Are Worth
    I have used the List-3259 and List-3259-1 carburetors of a variety of 1964-67 Shelby HP289 cars with great success from box stock engine to seriously modified engine. Set up properly you can cruise along at low rpm or roar to 8,500 rpm.
    On SFM5S142 with an aggressive camshaft and highly worked O.E. cylinder heads the car was still accelerating at 8,500 rpm red line with a 3.50 rear gear (Calculated ground speed 163 mph with the particular tires in use. 8,500 rpm was my red line for valve train mass reasons.).
    On a 1967 GT350 whose engine was stock O.E.M. specifications the engine ran just as smooth as any passenger car under any conditions.
    I did a lot of testing on a couple of cars (SFM5S142 and CSX2310) over a few year period including open track events at the Hallet road course in Oklahoma. My major observations include:
    1) All the popular performance improvement tips published in magazines, tricks and gadgets to make them mechanical secondaries for one example, made the cars slower. In fact doing anything that defeated or changed the Holley designed self regulating vacuum secondaries was counterproductive with some exceptions, see below.

2) In my area at my altitude (about 590 feet above sea level) the stock power valve, jetting, vacuum secondary opening rate, and float levels worked the best all around with some exceptions, see below.

3) Worn accelerator pump levers, worn accelerator pump cams, and or leaking accelerator pump check valves caused many of the problems people often complained about. If the accelerator pump circuit doesn’t work properly they must be corrected.
    Exceptions
    1) Vacuum secondary opening rate.
    a. On a GT350 with engine modifications, gearing, and tire size to support it can be made a little faster.
    b. On a Cobra can be made a little faster.

2) Float Levels – Using the float levels for a GT350 on a Cobra will lead to all kinds of engine running problems including; hard to start cold, hard to start to near impossible to start hot, sooty black rich stumble on hard cornering, engine stall on hard braking, fuel dripping to running out of booster venturi after the engine is stopped (may run and dribble out throttle shafts – especially if parked at any kind of angle to the horizon), and poor running on uphill or downhill grades. I labored over this a lot with CSX2310 until I noticed that the angle at which the engine sits in a Cobra is much different than what an engine in a GT350 sits. I made a scaled sketch of the carburetor internals and figured out what the difference in angle to the horizon is between the two chassis types. I used trigonometry to determine a base line set of float settings for my Cobra and went from there. I ended up with a great running car under all conditions from slow city traffic to flat out on a hilly bumpy road course. I left the carburetor alone and used it under all conditions without the smallest tweak between 1985 and 2007. Earlier this year the accelerator pump diaphragm started leaking so I did a gaskets only over haul and put it back on. I think they work just fine once you figure out float levels.

14. Jerry_Moss

@Bob

You are right thats also what i thought and told Bo that i will leave it
    like it is. Thanks

@ Dan

WOW!!!! What an article thank you very very much! Today i studied the
    Holley manual to the carb and they also said that it mechanical secondarys
    where better they already would have done it and not waste lots of bucks
    in expensive calibrateing of carbs. :thumbup:
    Very interesting what you wrote about the angle of the engine position.
    Really amazing!
    Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge! :thumbsup:

Bye Jerry

15. Jerry_Moss

Just a question,.....

I was checking in the Holley List and saw that the 3259-1
    a 725cfm carb is? :wacko: Häh,???????
    I thought 715cfm.
    Anyone know more?

Bye Jerry