Join Shelby Forums Today

68 Side scoops whats the scoop

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by ghost, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

I have read a lot about 67 and 68 side scoops on the gt 350's. The side scoop on my 68 is a dummy ( non functional ) scoop.
    Some literature says all the 67' had functional scoops, and the 68's had dummy scoops. Other books say the 68 side scoops were functional.

Heres the questions I have.

1. Were any 68 side scoops functional ?

2. I have been thinking about making my scoops functional. If I do will it hurt the value of my car? Will side scoops that function have any negetive impact or untoward consequences?

3. Has anyone out there made their side scoops functional?

4. If you did make your side scoops functional: did it work, what tips do you have? Would you do it again?

I like the idea of cooling the inside tire and the drum brakes on the rear wheels. I plan on driving this car , but I don't want to muck it up.
    :guitar: :cigar:

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Good questions...I'm curious to see what people think. I would suspect that the value could be affected negatively but that is pure speculation.
    Randall

3. Tout

Tout Well-Known Member

Unless your racing,what's the point?
    Tout

4. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

68's and most 67's are non functional. Early 67's had working scoops.
    I think it would affect value especially when you consider there is no real gain unless as mentioned you are racing it.

5. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

1: No

2: Yes, It will hurt value. I have heard that Shelby quit making then functional in early 67, because of rust concerns. Personaly I think it was a cost savings since it didn't really cool the brakes it just cooled the tire tread.

3: I didn't on my 67 and wouldn't on any car I owned.

4: If you just have to do it and want cooler brakes, you will have to cut holes in the brake backing plates and install a duct from the wheel well to the backing plate. Then not only will your brakes be cooler but will get wet in the rain. Rear disk might be a better option. For me I would just leave well enough alone.

Just my opinon

6. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

The upper scoops draw air into the interior. Lower ones are just for show.
    It is your car so the value part it up to you. If you want them to work then put the duct work on. Next guy might not think it was a good idea, but it is not the next guys car.
    I made mine functional. If its a scoop on the car I wanted it to work. Simple to do. It is only driven in good weather so I don't worry about rust or rain.
    Does the car need them to work? No. I just like the fact that they do.

7. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

The early 67's had operative scoops. It made for a lot of good automotive press, especially when paired with a photo of a GT 40. They looked quite alike side by side.
    The inside ducting was a little better than dryer flex duct, and, likely, as mentioned, blew a little air behind the wheel to cool the brakes (maybe). And if the hose fell off, yep, rust might result.
    The 67's had scoops mounted from inside the car. My early 67 had bolts molded in to do this. The 68's had 2 screws on the front edge of the scoop for mounting, so, you can tell when the 68 scoops are mounted on a 67.

As for the upper scoops, well, the forward facing opening is blocked down to where maybe, just maybe, there might be a venturi effect causing the air to accelerate out of the rear and draw air out of the car, but, they really only let the air out of the fomoco outlets to exit the rear of the scoop. I don't see where they would ram air into the car. I do see where they might cause some aerodynamic clutter, but boy, do they look good.