Join Shelby Forums Today

68 shelby antenna placement?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mark a, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mark a

mark a New Member

Hi Im Mark Working on my 68 shelby & I need to know if the 68s had the radio antenna placed on the rear only or were some placed on the right front fender? Any info would help
    Thanks Mark

2. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Should be on the rear. The plastic hood would make AM radio reception impossible if mounted on the front.

3. jcp

jcp Member

hi mark i'm no expert but my 68 shelby kr came with the antenna on driver side in back

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Mark, they came both ways. The antenna was a dealer prep item and I have mostly seen early cars get the antenna in the front but as has been stated in another post the ignition static caused by the non existent shielding of the all fiberglass hood was objectionable enough to have the dealers directed by the factory to install them in the back. I am sure a few clueless dealers installed them in the front on later cars as well. Bob

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Bob is correct, the intention was for all cars to have rear mount antennas. Shelby installed the rear mount antenna cable. The dealers could put the antenna were they (or the customer) wanted.
    :cigar:

6. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

This is the original (it is believed) on a 68 GT500 convertible. As you can see, the car is unrestored.

[​IMG]

7. Coralsnake

Yikes, please tell me that body is not sitting on the ground ?

:noway:

Edited: Oh dear just found the pictures on Glazier's page.

8. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Nothing that touches the ground is salvageable. The floors, rockers, and rear frame rails are completely wasted. The car was found on a homemade rotisserie, in the condition you see. All the parts that were removed were lying in an alley behind the shop, and had been there for years. The shell will be media stripped this week to see what remains. I'm guessing not much. The left side fresh air vent was removed by pulling on it.

The braces in the door openings are just about all that's holding it together.

[​IMG]

9. Coralsnake

I have to admit, I have seen worse

10. S8MS-01904

S8MS-01904 Well-Known Member

OK, I'm starting to feel better after seeing that. WOW, save the snake for us to enjoy.

Tom

11. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Gee, I only posted that photo to show the antenna location. However, I know they'll be posting progress photos of that 68 GT500 convertible as they go. The small parts are being restored before being packed in storage, while the body and rear axle get media stripped and started. Some things have already been done, such as the pedal bracket and power steering. The instrument cluster was never removed from the car until now, and will require extensive work, even the gauge faces were pitted.