Join Shelby Forums Today

'67 GT500 differences

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by CK7684, Jan 28, 2011.

1. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Hello, newbie here. I am trying to build a scale model of a 1967 GT500 that my dad used to own. I am wondering about a couple details. The model does not have vents in the hood next to the scoop, but my dad's car did. Looking through a couple books revealed that some cars had them, and some didn't. Can anybody explain why this is? Also, the additional guage pod on my dad's car was on top of the dash, but my research shows that it was supposed to go underneath? Why would this be? One last thing, how would a guy find out where this car is, or if it is still around? I have the VIN from his 1971 registration card...

Thanks!!

2. CK7684

CK7684 Member

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Well, I'm guessing you are using AMT's 1/25th scale model. If so, and you "need" to have those louvers, go buy an AMT 68 Shelby. Then you cut the louvers out of the 68's hood, and then cut the same size hole in the 67's hood. Glue it together, putty, paint.

4. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

What are the last 4 digits of the Vin number? Maybe the current owner post on here.

5. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Thanks, I am using AMT's 67. I already got the '68 so I can use the engine out of it...

Here's some pics of dad's car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Cool Pix! 1122 was in CA as of 4-96, present owner unknown (new registry out in a few weeks I am told!) Your Dad is not listed as a prior owner of the car. I am forwarding this link to the 67 registrar.

Mike

7. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

My '97 registry says the car was sold in '96 by Keith Harvie of Agoura,CA and the present owner is unknown.I have not got my new registry yet but it may have new additional info.

8. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I think the vintage pictures provides some insight into the louvered hood question. The fact that the front end had been repainted (painted white strut rod braces ) more then likely indicates a front end collision . The louvered hood was all that was being serviced by Ford shortly after 67 production ceased. It was easier and less expensive to replace a hood then repair a hood back in the day and was the common procedure. The most likely scenario is that the car was in a front end collision early in it's life and the a new replacement louvered hood was used in the repair. Just some of my thoughts and observations on this subject. Bob

9. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Thanks for the info!! I really appreciate it!! My dad bought this car in '69 from the original owner, who was still in the service overseas at the time. It was being stored in the guy's parents garage and they didn't want it there anymore. I think my dad sold it in '76 or '77. I would have to ask him. I also have a registration from 1974. I know I rode in the car a few times, but I was too young at the time to remember it now.
    Regarding the hood, his car did have air conditioning. He mentioned that you couldn't run the air while cruising around town because it would overheat the engine. Judging by the plates in these photos, he hadn't yet gotten new plates for it, since they are 1968. I have no clue as to if it had been in a collision or not before he had it, but it had been in storage for most of it's then fairly young life. Dad's got some interesting stories about this car ;)

Oh, I have a few other pics as well, but I will need to scan them...

Also, He said he sold it spring of '76

10. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Not quite the same, but close. Remember, the front louver on the 67 went up, not down, but not the 68.

11. CK7684

CK7684 Member

I believe they are sized differently also. I considered using the cowl vents and using them as hood vents, but this might all be beyond my modeling skills, so it may get a non-louvered hood on the scale version...

12. roddster

I built a "lil Red" out of a resin 68 Cal Special by lopping off the resin top and bonding it to the 67 AMT Shelby, and made a louvered hood using the 68 hood louvers into the 67's hood. Looks pretty good. It's 1/25th scale anyway......
    I'll see about posting some photos of it.

13. roddster

Photos, well, this forum has the "difficult way" to post photos. Sorry.

And, this is why I always say: If you sell your Shelby, take it upon yourself to report the new owner's name to SAAC. Do not rely on the "new" owner to do this. Too often it does not happen.

14. Bob Gaines

I am not trying to be contrary on purpose but unlike a lot of cars the Shelby VIN number tells a lot of how the car came equipped. The "400" in the Shelby VIN number on the Shelby VIN plate indicates the car came from Shelby as a GT500 ,4 speed with no air conditioning and no thermactor(smog). If the car had air conditioning it must have been added by the owner or possibly by the dealer. In any event the Louvered hood would not be part of a normal hang on air installation. Bob

15. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Very interesting!! I am thoroughly enjoying finding out these tidbits about the car!! (Dad has been very interested as well ;) )Any thoughts on the gauge cluster being mounted on top of the dash instead of underneath? To me it looks like the correct pod, just mounted on top. I have a clear picture of this, just need to scan it...perhaps something to do with the air conditioning being added???

16. Bob Gaines

As you suspect it must have had to do with the fact that the car had add on A/C that you reported the car had. If the normal dealer type add on air was used the evaporator unit would have to be mounted under the dash in the middle right were the amp and oil pressure gauge pod was mounted making it necessary to relocate the gauge pod. Bob

17. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Thanks a bunch for the information!! Really neat to find these things out!! I think that answers all the questions I had. I also have a good excuse not to add the louvered vents to the hood of the scale model ;)

BTW, dad has been kicking himself in the arse for selling that car. I've been kicking his arse because he had planned on saving it for me!! Oh well...I've sold a few that I wish I still had as well...he finally has gotten back into cars, and although a Shelby is out of his price range, he did get this 1998 Mustang GT, which we have tried to make look unique without being a clone of anything, or looking too "aftermarket"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He still gets a thrill when he sees a Shelby tho

I will try to add the other pictures he has of his Shelby if anybody is interested... I've got a bunch of old pics I need to get scanned anyhow...

Thanks again

Oh, BTW, how can we get the Shelby registry?

18. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

Here's where you can find out about the new Registry for the 1965 thru 1967 cars.

http://www.saac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=251&Itemid=2

At the bottom of the article is a "Click here to order" link.

They are hot off the presses and just started shipping a few days ago. A bit expensive at $220 (including shipping). But I think it's well worth it for 1,350 pages of info you can't get anywhere else.

Steve

19. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Thanks!! I might just have to suprise him with that...

20. CK7684

CK7684 Member

Oh, a couple more questions...when my dad got the car, it had a Shelby sticker in the glovebox (not affixed, just in there loose) and I was wondering if these would have came with the car originally? He still has it, and I'm going to scan it..Also, he said there was a plaque either on or inside the glovebox that read something to the effect of "When travelling at over 100mph for more than 1 hour use X type/weight of oil" ...was this standard with the car? If so, does anybody have a picture of this? I haven't seen it in any of my books/magazines...