Join Shelby Forums Today

67 GT 500 on eBay K code

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by cougar, Apr 21, 2007.

1. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

This is interesting. A 67 GT 500 with a K code Ford vin.
    Frank

67 Shelby on eBay

2. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

At least it's not an "e" code :blink: eleanor

3. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

So what should it be and I'm asking a serious....

question. I think that my '67 is a "Q' code. Is that correct?

4. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Re: So what should it be and I'm asking a serious....

A "Q" is the correct code for a 428.
    Frank

5. J.Bailey

OK, if a Q code is the correct and only code for....

a 428 Ford engine from the factory and you that to be an absolute fact then that fact screams that the 1967 Shelby G.T.500 on eBay is a fraud. Is that correct?

6. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Re: OK, if a Q code is the correct and only code for....

I have been informed that there were some mistakes made and some were stamped with a K. This car seems to be legit.
    Frank

PS--The 428 cars should have a Q as that is the engine code for a 428.

7. J.Bailey

I thought that this car "looked" legit but for the kind...

of money that these cars bring now I just could not risk it unless SAAC confirmed it as the correct Ford number. Have you ever seen this before on a G.T.500? I have not.

8. 1175

1175 Well-Known Member

Dave Mathews (SAAC 67 Registrar) informed me that it is indeed legit for this particular car. Apparently there were a few mistakes made back in the day.
    Jon

9. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

Does the "star" at the end of the VIN number look different than it should be ?

10. ShelbyLuva

ShelbyLuva Well-Known Member

That was what I was thinking about the star. Also, the VIN is very messy, not straight.

11. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

I'm baffled why someone why show the Ford VIN on the internet for all too see?

Rohan

12. ShelbyLuva

ShelbyLuva Well-Known Member

I have been seeing this move often on eBay, almost always by dealers. They are in it for quick money and want to sell the car as fast as possible for top dollar. Most dealers, especially that are on eBay, don't seem to care about the future of the car, or any clone that would take more time to build than it takes them to sell the car.

13. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Some 67 350's also had a mistake with "A code" Ford Vins along in addition to these "K code" 500 mistakes. SAAC knows which cars were created this way... Those stars do look strange. I always thought all plants had real star shapes with a small circle in the middle... never seen stars that looked like big astericks. ...plus the numbers are crooked.

I'm not trying to tear down this car but wonder if a Ford VIN could actually look that way for future reference...

14. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

For reference - my chassis number. Note different star. I understood all 67s were built at the San Jose plant...?

David

Attached Files:

15. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

The Star in a Star is typical of San Jose during this period. There are a couple of other things that are "different" on original stars but can't really share.

16. eljimb0

I am baffled why anyone could believe that all these serial numbers are "safe" when they are held by a small private group.
    Imagine if only 6 people in the world were capable of determining if a diamond was real or "diamonel" . How much more abuse would there be in the jewelry buisiness..
    jimbo
    I wish every one of those numbers was released to the public. I guarantee that Snakepit here could tell you if a car was real without even looking at the serial number. (car DNA :thumbsup: )
    jimbo

17. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

The SAAC has kept the Ford serial numbers private for many many years for a very good reason. Anyone who owns a genuine car can appreciate why it is important.

Yep lets make the Shelby & Ford VINS public. What a great idea! :confused:

18. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

I think the hobby is lucky that the VIN data was found by SAAC after years of diligent research. ...and that they will verify numbers only. Why would you want all the numbers released? With the difference between a 5RO9T fastback and a 5R09K****** SFM5S*** being about 300k or more do you not think scum bags far and wide will be creating Shelbys. Some scum bags do excellent work for 300k or more.

I once asked a saac concours award winning restorer if he could always tell a fake. He said yes. Then I asked him if he could build a fake that no one else could ever determine, ...he then realized the first answer was probably no because there are dozens of top notch craftmen at his level out there, some are unethical. Why would you trust "the public" over SAAC with all those numbers?

19. eljimb0

Rare and priceless art works, valuable coins, firearms, jewelry, antique furniture, books and many other things whose collective value exceeds the total net worth of all CS's cars thousands of times somehow manage to keep their value in spite of their lack of a secret private data base of serial numbers.. Who is kidding who here?
    jimbo

20. Dave

Dave Member

You are kidding yourself. The value of these cars is directly related to the “secret private data base of serial numbers” to which you refer. They are the identifying marks that can be cross-referenced to authenticate a chassis. Everybody in the hobby has seen the stamps that are available. Make the numbers available and suddenly cars listed in the registry as unknown start becoming barn finds.