Join Shelby Forums Today

67 GT 350 Original Paperwork

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rcgt350, Oct 21, 2007.

1. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Just some interesting info to pass along. I received orginal paperwork on my 67 GT350 about a year ago. There is a hand written invoice that came from Ford Of Canada and then an official typed one to follow at a later date from Oakville Ont, Canada. There are some corresponding numbers that match on each paper and the type written one lists the car as Red, when it is actually a white car. Car is 67200F40031 Randy

2. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

That is a real early car.

Does it still have its running lights and is the Shelby tag hand written?

Maybe a mixup at the factory with the hand written notes on it being a red car. Definately white.

Rohan

3. rcgt350

Yes, it has the Shelby hand lettered VIN tag. I've noticed a pattern in these cars that were built up to the end of Oct/66, that they have the hand lettered tag. The official typed invoice from Ford is the one that states it as being Red. Still has the upper scoop lights which I'm still not sure if they should be marker lights or as a brake and signal light. Right now mine are the brake and signal light, but I've heard some people say they could be just a marker light. Randy

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Don't asume all the early Shelby vin tags were hand engraved . #1 and #8 were hand stamped. I used to own #8 and #1 is in the Bat Cave with the rest of my babies. The scoop lights were running lights only. If they were brake or turn signals that would have been very innovative for the day. I believe the 67 Shelby was the first shoulder harness as standard equipment car. Now that was innovative.

5. rcgt350

Thanks for the info there Bob. I figured my lights may have been hooked up wrong after the restoration(previous to me). Just a matter of moving the wire over to the tail lite side now. Randy

6. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

#0036 has the stamped vin plate, so, there is another piece of 67 production abnomality.

Bob and I disagree about the scoop lights. Shelby American literature from the day disagrees too. You can read it where it is either a "safety light" or read it as "eye level brake light".

Just for further support of it being a brake light, a year or so ago some original owner (or two) posted about their early cars scoop light being wired as a brake light. Might have been car #10. And possibly, maybe it depended on who was working on that installation that day at Shelby American in L.A.

7. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Rod ,All the times we have talked over the years and all the times I have helped you correct little things on your car over the years most recently at the Indiana SAAC spring fling show were I helped you find the correct air cleaner base for your car which you were unaware of,you have never mentioned any "documented" proof on the running light question.Would you please tell me now after all this time which piece of vintage Shelby American literature that reads "eye level brake light" in regards to a 1967 Shelby. I have quite a large archive and I have never seen that phrase. As the SAAC 67 Shelby head concours judge I am expected to help others in the correct restoration of their cars . It is to EVERYONES benefit to prove the provenence of your claim.

8. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Now that this has turned into a literature arguement!
    I know my way around the factory literature.
    Just read the spec sheet, brochure, postcard, and THE ENTIRE OWNERS MANUAL.
    The lights are called 'advanced engineering safety lights' (this does nothing to designate them as brake lights) in the brochure and that is the only piece of literature in which they are mentioned to my knowledge.
    These lights arent even mentioned in the owners manual.
    If they arent mentioned as braking lights in the above pieces of literature, then what literature would they be mentioned in?
    There really isnt a whole lot of original factory literature from this year.
    Furthermore, all my literature is original so there is no dispute as to what my stuff says.
    Also, it is not even valid to base an assumption off of what the factory literature says as there happen to be alot of mistakes in the factory literature. All the 68 literature states that the 427 was a factory option (it wasnt, lets not even get into that obvious arguement)!
    The lights were running lights and they have always been known as running lights. Why should that change now.

Ya know, if the excuses 'these cars were hand built' or 'someone different worked that day' were ever valid, we would have thousands of incorrect details on all years of cars. The cars were built a certain way and we have to accept that instead of making reasons why something 'could' be correct. I doubt a worker at the factory just didnt know how to do something or simply got something wrong.

Best Regards,
    Vern

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  9. markboss

markboss Well-Known Member

My car was pretty much unmodified, when I purchased it in 1982, 1 owner..etc..
    The side marker lights function with the turn signals, and brake lights.....
    appear to have not been tampered with...

Mark

10. vernonestes

They dont light up when the light green gt350 car slows down in front of the dark green gt500 in this original 1967 commercial.
    Not very good quality but you can see that they are obviously on this lime car when it drives away at the end.
    Enjoy!
    Ford Mustang Shelby 1967 Commercial
    Vern

11. markboss

Cool Video!!
    I could not tell, and I respect Bob's and yours opinion, but I cannot argue with facts, and I know how my car was done.....How many times over the years have we seen different things done....rust oxide, slop grey....These were production cars built in the 60's when Quality control was not that great....the scoop molds were taken from a wrecked car....DUH!!!
    No to mention the gas tank is the trunk floor!!

Can we say DRAG PACK on this forum...
    Mark

12. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

The upper scoop lights on car number 100, the first production GT 500 fastback, are also wired to come on with the brake lights and turn signals. I think there was a thread started earlier this year about this subject; and if I recall correctly, a lot (but not all) of the people that responded stated the upper scoop lights on their cars came on with the brake lights and turn signals.

Bob and Vern, here is some great information to justify/support the upper scoop lights being tied into the brake lights and turn signals. My car was featured in a road test article in the March 1967 issue of Sports Car Graphic magazine. As quoted directly from the article, "a small red 'safety' light is included in the aft opening of each, readily visible from behind and wired to actuate with the brake and turn-indicator lights".

My car was also featured in a road test article in the February 1967 issue of Car and Driver. Quoting directly from that article, "That light behind the scoop flashes when the turn signals are on and glows steadily when the brakes are on".

I think this is enough "period" documentation to support the upper scoop lights being correctly wired into the brake lights and turn signals - at least for my car.

Thanks,
    Eric

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  13. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Hey Bob, I'm looking. I do realize that the Shelby American "Guide" is not a very good reference point for restoration information. And, on my car, the 2nd owner tore out the wiring to the lights so I have no reference to give on my car. But, didn't we have some conversation about this (wired either way)while you and the crew were judging it at SAAC 29?

ELJ1st: This is the posting I was refering to about a couple of original owners stating how there early cars were wired to be brake/turn signals.

All: sorry about hi-jacking the post. This was supposed to be about original paper work.

14. vernonestes

All i would like to know is what factory literature states that they are brake lights.
    Read through all of mine and there is no mention of the lights other than the fact that they are advanced engineering lights.
    Vern

15. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Here is an original ad stating "eye level turn indicator and brake light" in the third paragraph. I know the ads were not alway 100% accurate so take it for what it is worth. I believe this is ELJ1st500's car in the ad.

[​IMG]

16. vernonestes

Oh..an ad!
    Never thought to look in the ads!:doh:
    Vern

17. markboss

I thought I had read that somewhere also...great detective work!!!
    Eric, the road test article is hard to dispute!!!

Mark

18. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Mark,

Thanks. I believe that with the "period" ads and road test articles being in agreement on the function of the upper scoop lights; this issue can now be put to rest........

Eric