Join Shelby Forums Today

66 Shock Tower Survey Help Needed

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by s2ms, Dec 18, 2007.

1. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

As Jeff previously mentioned, it's the Ford VIN that's important in trying to figure this out since the export brace and washer reinforced shock towers were installed at San Jose. If 6S1855's Ford VIN is, or isn't, in the same 178XXX range as Jimmy's car that would be helpful info.

It's unlikely we'll ever prove this but based on cars I have personally seen plus the info gathered in this thread I strongly believe there was a small run of 66 GT350's that did not receive the washer reinforced shock towers due to a supply issue.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Jimmy

What are the markings on the shocks?

Should have an

- arrow or three along with three settlings SOFT - NORMAL - FIRM
    - a large styled "G"
    - code like P6CA
    - and MADE IN USA

3. jbarela

jbarela Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff..our shocks are aftermarket koni ..not original..I was refering to the shock tower caps that the washers are welded to..we stripped ours and found no markings on them..so was trying to figure out whether or not they should have a fomoco logo or partnumber or something?

JImmy

4. Snakepit

Sorry - misunderstood your statement. Nope no markings on the shock supports

5. jbarela

Hey here is an interesting thing also..this is a pic of our shock tower brackets...you can see on the edges its not smooth but rather has..well see the pics..I have not seen tower brackets like this before...

Attached Files:

6. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

My originals are the same as Jimmy's. I would also like to know if there were different OE styles. I've seen other cars with (supposedly) original brackets that have a straight edge and have bought several straight edge sets at swapmeets.

7. 6S1431

6S1431 Well-Known Member

Reading this thread I see a long ways back I see that someone mentioned the tie down brackets. Mine still had them on when I took it apart for restoration. Should I reinstall them? The always were in the way of the exhaust and unless is was aligned perfectly it rubbed and made a noise. Trying to make the restoration "correct" without going too "perfect". Iclluded a shot of the car at the Bonneville salt flats in 1972, I drove it to there from the east coast for three years in 1972-74, I think that may be where it got some of it's rust issues from

Attached Files:

8. Snakepit

Your choice. These are not required for any show and they do produce issues (reason Ford wanted them removed)

IF you trailer the car they can come in handy ;)

9. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I don't even like them for lashing down a trailered car. Jeff, I have found that securing the car by using the factory tie down brackets when transporting in my trailer causes me to have to re tighten the straps ever few hundred miles or sooner if bumpy terrain. By using straps around the rear end housing you keep the body tight. The slight up and down motion that the leaf springs allow when using the tie downs seems to work the straps a little loose. I can drive 2000 miles and not have to re tighten the straps when using the rear end housing (even though I check them at every fueling stop). I also don't think it is a good thing to put the stress on the rear leafs for long periods. Just my observation after doing it both ways for many years. Bob

10. Snakepit

Said "handy" not the best ;)

Did work out quick and fast last weekend when the Boss choose not to run on the way to the show. Didn't have to tow it far

Back to work on that project

11. jbarela

does anyone else want to chime in on there shock tower caps versus the ones I posted a photo of?? we are 99 percent sure these are our originals...

JImmy

12. Snakepit

Jimmy those are fine. Seen them less pronounced but the little waves are often there on other originals

13. jbarela

ahh...I am glad you said that..then for sure ours are original to our car and never came with the washers on them...I am going to have some put on anyways since they are supposed to have them...its great to see the minor variations on these cars..

14. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Jeff, have you seen originals without the "waves"? If so, was it a production plant thing? Seems like I've seen lots of cars without them but really haven't paid attention if they were Shelbys or not.

Thanks,
    Dave

15. Snakepit

Can't recall seeing any perfectly smooth but honestly not a little detail I've spent allot of time focusing on. Some of the waves are very light and could be seen as almost smooth.

Have not seen any match (nor would I expect to) between waves or no waves and washers.

Just one more thing to pay a little attention to ;)