Join Shelby Forums Today

66 Shock Tower Survey Help Needed

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by s2ms, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Just to continue the discussion (always fun) ;)

"if we find owners who had missing washers and can show their cars had original Koni's " Since the 66's all came with Gabriels from Ford I think it might be a problem.

Anyone have an original Add/Delete sheet or note/letter between Shelby and Ford requesting the Koni's during 66?

I think you may be able to tie it to a shift or supply issue at San Jose maybe (like we have with a couple of other details) but IMHO you have to look at the Ford VIN's not the Shelby VIN's to get a pattern that will stick.

Other 65-66 non-typical patterns that have shown up. Dec 65 coupe red headliners (white was substituted for approx 3 weeks) and Jan 65 black undercarriages (looks to be 3-5 weeks)

2. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Hmm, guess I need to get up to speed on the non-carry over 66 GT350 Koni issue. Info from the "1966 GT350 Running Production Changes" section of the last (97) Registry states: Koni Shock Absorbers. Installed on all cars as a general rule. Occasionally standard production Autolite shocks (made by Gabriel) were used instead of Konis. Use followed no discernable pattern." But as far as this discussion IMO the shock thing isn't relevant anyway so possibly we can continue it on a seperate thread as I'd like to hear more on that.

I agree Ford VIN's would be more relevant but for obvious reasons that won't happen without SAAC's involvement and I believe they have bigger fish to fry right now. For the moment the best we can do is gather as much info as possible from the Shelby VINs.

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Gabriel adjustable shocks were used not standard Autolite shocks as it reads. This is misinterpreted information or a typo. This same shock with minor variations was used to the end of Shelby production with the 1970 model. They were all the Autolite adjustable shocks and Gabriel was the OEM manufacturer. Interestingly I have seen the 66 Shelby Gabriel adjustable shock, painted from the factory- Koni orange (probably to mimic the missing Konis)as well as Ford blue like 68 shocks and some were black like 67 shocks . The blue color is by far the most common color for the Autolite adjustable shocks in 1966.

4. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi again! Just a few observations and comments.Bob-no feelings hurt..Im not trying to send out wrong info,thanks for the correction.What has developed now is the real heart of the s2ms question..were there misbuilds? and why?And for Snakepit have you ever seen 6S003 ? It was owned by a guy from the L.A. area and was very well preserved original paint and all..dent in the drivers door..Karl ? bought it from Pete Brocks brother in law if memory serves.All this to say this was a low mileage untouched car,and it would make a nice sample of a carryover car.Also if you look up the mount in the Ford parts catalog there are different part numbers,maybe we could chase it as you suggested like with a build sheet reference?I still cannot imagine not wanting the strength in such a critical area.TRANS AM cars used aluminium plates as stiffeners/spacers under the brackets,and wired the bolts,but that is another subject. And to everyone Merry Christmas!! Have a Great New Year!!:) P.D.

5. Snakepit

No not in person.... but would be willing to travel to get access (for pictures) for any original car. Got to keep the achieves feed ;) About 30,000 pictures and it grows by 500-1000 every week I get a chance to get out.

Which parts catalog? If its one of the master parts catalogs it may be listed by a different part number for a different reason. The Add/delete sheets at least provide the number Ford was using the same week as the cars were build :) If we can get access to the correct engineering page for the part it may provide some insight but only as far as what Ford planned to do ;)

Trans AM cars used aluminum plates??? What Group? Since the cars could only modify the suspension or the engines from production cars in 66 I think they didn't touch those (later owners and classes allowed it though. Interesting I don't see them below

See one of the engine pictures I have of the car listed as #14 in the registry. It has the stamped steel front shock supports with the welded washers - picture taken in 66 when the car arrived in NZ or right after the first race there.

[​IMG]

Bob - Sorry I would have written FoMoCo or AUTOLITE stamped/marked Gabriel adjustables,

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas to all also......

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007
  6. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I plan on putting a pair of rear 66 Shelby Fomoco/Gabriel adjustable shocks on Ebay after Jan 1.

7. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

Snakepit (Jeff)
    Hi,
    My clone is built on top of a Jan 65 San Jose FB. It has a factory black paint underneath.. did any of the real cars come through that way, I have always wondered.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    jimbo

Bob,
    did you get the stuff I sent?

8. JamesFee

JamesFee Well-Known Member

9. tommyleea

tommyleea Well-Known Member

Good morning and Merry Christmas...I have #1732 and it is Ivy Green also. I guess I am trying to figure out what washers we are talking about here. Then I can go out and look at my car to see if I have them. Thanks

10. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Hello Tommy and Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the forum! Your Shelby VIN is an important one for this discussion so please let us know whether you have the washers or not. Here's a pic of an original set of 65-66 shock towers showing the tack welded reinforcement washers. Thanks, Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  11. Snakepit

Looks like that car falls inside the range we have found many others with black undercarriage.

If you find the time could you please email the VIN to me so I can add it to the list - VIns are the only way we're going to document this and other details ;)

Dave, since some may be hesitant to share VIN's (just a thought) and the VIN's only provide a three -six week range of when they were built maybe they can provide a approx date. That is if owners have the Mustang Production guide or can get an indication of when the car was built from the sheet metal dates - since they seem to be the closest on the car to the real build dates - provide them.

From the data I could pull up quickly

With washers
    6R09K120xxx - Restored - Mid Oct 65 (by Mustang production Guide) - Invoiced 11/30, Fender dated 10/29 & 9/12
    6R09K163xxx - Unrestored - Mid Feb 66 (by Mustang production Guide)
    6R09K176xxx - Unrestored - Mid Mar 66 (by Mustang production Guide)
    6R09K177xxx - Unrestored - Late Mar 66 (by Mustang production Guide)
    6R09K178xxx - Restored - Late Mar 66 (by Mustang production Guide)

Without washers
    6R09K181xxx - Not unrestored - Late April 66 (by Mustang production Guide)

Have cars with Shelby VINs before and after the car above with washers - only included cars which I had Ford VIN's for and clear pictures of the front shock mounts

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  12. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Jeff. I think you misunderstood my previous post to Tommy, made some changes so hopefully it's more clear now. Certainly wasn't asking for a Ford VIN :noway:

Approx build dates is a good idea, here's mine:

6S1757 - scheduled build date March 29, 1966. Was able to determine this from two members of the HiPo Forum who have a SJ K-codes with Ford VIN's that surround mine and have the same scheduled build date.

13. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

Date code 01B consecutive number ---182548

I'll put it here my car is a clone. My vin is eternally safe ...besides when I croak they are going to set it on fire with me in it and push it out to sea
    (dead dog in trunk) I'm going to Valhalla in style.. vikings don't care about the trifles of serial numbers..:) :)

14. tommyleea

OK, now I will look tomorrow and report back. Thanks

Tommy:guitar:

15. tommyleea

Checked today, mine doesn't have the washers. 178xxx. I purchased the car in 72 and it sat for 30 years while I was in the service. That's my story for what it is worth. Cheers and Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Tommy

16. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Thanks Tommy, very helpful information! Dave.

17. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who participated in this interesting discussion. I just heard back from Howard Pardee on this subject and here's what he had to say:

Since the issue of original Konis on 66's also came up in this thread I asked him about that too. He gave some very detailed info that I will post in a new thread.

18. Snakepit

Might as well throw another opinion in the pot :)

Look forward to what he's seen

19. jbarela

jbarela Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff..just found this thread...our car 6S1902 late 178XXX does not have the washers either ...had the car since 68...but dont know what our original shocks were

by the way we just had ours stripped to re paint them...no fomoco stamp anywhere..did they come with it or not?
    Jimmy

20. 6S1431

6S1431 Well-Known Member

6S1431 has the washers, and I had 1855 and from the older pictures it appears it also had the washers. Not sure what the orginal shocks were on either car