Join Shelby Forums Today

66 Shock Tower Survey Help Needed

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by s2ms, Dec 18, 2007.

1. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out some details concerning 66 shock towers and need the help of 66 owners to get to the bottom of this.

It is conventional thinking that all 65-66 GT350's came with the washer reinforced shock towers that were part of the Export package. However, I am fairly certain my car originally came without them. I have observed cars at shows and seen pics of other cars without them as well and have noticed they tend to be near mine in production sequence. This is all very unscientific but would like to determine if there is a real trend or not.

If this is real I have two theories on it. One is a supply issue, why hold up production for a few lousy washers? Another possibily is later (?) cars without original Koni's did not get the reinforced towers.

So........if any 66 owners out there that have original towers without the washers could post your Shelby VIN and whether or not you feel the car originally came with Koni's I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! Dave

6S1757, without original reinforced shock towers, without original Koni's.

2. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Did you add these items on your car when you restored it? I thought the only shelby not to have been export was 65 #003 being first prototype. If your car was reinforced at the firewall I can't understand the lack of those items being left off the car. Unless it was a rebody from early years.

3. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

The original export brace and firewall reinforcement are there, the only thing that wasn't on the car when I bought it in 1987 was the washer reinforced shock towers, I added a set when I restored it. I don't understand it either which is why I'm researching the subject. I've been in contact with all the previous owners and as far as they recall the car never had them. And no, it's not a rebody.

As I mentioned I have seen a number of original cars without them near my VIN which is what peaked my curiosity as to it possibly being a supply issue.

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

All of the 65-70 Shelby's were supposed to get the front shock upper brackets with the reinforcement (washer). The Koni shock vs. Gabriel adjustable Ford shock would not be a reason for deleting the reinforcement. The reinforcement was part of the FOR EXPORT package in which normal Mustangs destined for export received the reinforced shock brackets as well as the shock tower brace and non adjustable but heavy duty Ford shocks because of the rough roads in Europe. I have never come across a 65/66 Shelby that was missing those reinforcements that was a surviver enough to indicate it was missing from the factory(Ford assembly line) . Not to say it couldn't happen but it is highly unlikely.All of the examples seen by myself and others restorers ,concours judges etc. for 1966 haven't indicated a pattern . The owner would have to provide some type of concrete provenece to support not having them. My opinion is it would be much easier to put them in place like they were intended and not have to explain everytime someone questioned it even IF you could document it . Now if you were talking about 67 then there was a huge number that were missing the reinforced upper shock brackets for some reason ,probably for supply reasons. In 1967 it was in the middle of production that this mistake happened. This has been documented by numerous surviver type cars. It was a mistake that didn't enhance the image of the car but took away from the high performance aspect of the car. I don't like to see the cars missing the brkts and incourage the 67 owners to but the brkts on as intended also. Just my opinion. 1968 ,69 and 70 did not see any interruption in supply of the reinforced brackets. The most likely scenario on missing reinforced brackets is replacement because of loss or whatever by previous owner.

5. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Know a number of original owner car that do not have them but none of them can be sure if the shock tower caps/ front upper shock mounts have not been replaced at some point.

Remember this is Ford thing rather than a Shelby thing since many/most export Mustangs received the same washers welded to the mounts.

Plenty of problems verifying a bolt on part as original after over 40 years of use ;)

Its an interesting detail to collect (if a pattern might arise tracking the Ford VIN's) but agree with Bob that its easiest at this point to have them in place.

6. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

This brings up a question. I've never seen a part number listed for the welded cowl reinforcement angle. Is that because it was an export part welded on by Ford? If so would that part number be on the D.S.O. sheets? Thanks.

7. Snakepit

On the Add/Delete sheets believe its listed as

3829431 (a hardware number) with the description

"RPO REINFORCEMENT - DASH PANEL"

The front upper shock mounts are listed as part number 3829698 and the export brace 3829432

And before someone starts asking copies ... can't. Its a permission thing I'm respecting. But can share info :ph34r: Thanks

8. Edward66GT350

Edward66GT350 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Do you have a black gt350? If so, we met about 9-10 yrs ago in Washington at a car show. I have #1761. No shock tower washers. Do not believe it ever did. We discussed this at the show. I was there w/ a Shelby owner, Bob Laughlin(from Tacoma). Our serial #'s are very close. Mine is Ivy green.
    Ed
    ewkmam@aol.com

9. david9295

david9295 Member

my car # 1693 - 66 - gt350 did not have washers when purchased it.

10. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to all on this thread.As mentioned by several already..esp. Bob, I would also very strongly suggest use of the washer/or spacer.It really helps prevent the metal from bending near the bolts,and is a must on a car with H.D. suspension.And just for the record..they are the same as the ones used under the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame rail.Also when they bend,the bolts dont align properly-next thing to happen is damaged threads,which is why many end up being replaced.If you drive this car,it will benefit from this simple addition.We nick named them KONI washers way back when,because all cars with KONI'S all seemed to have them.:)

11. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

I had always though the angle iron bracket under the export brace was a shelby installed piece. All these years I have blamed Shelby's mechanics for that unimaginably bad "weld and cover it with gorp" job

Wow!

12. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed and David for replying, now we are getting somewhere! :thumbsup:

Ed, yes 1757 is a black non-Hertz (white stripe) car, I remember meeting you at that show and talking about 1761 since our cars are so close. In fact I still have a pic of your car I took at the Monterey Historics a few years later.

Thanks Bob and Jeff for your comments. I'm well aware of the fact that most 67's don't have the washers and all 65-66's should and the export brace package installation was done at San Jose and not Shelby American. Jeff, I'd be interested if you know the Shelby VINs of the cars you mentioned.

I find patty.dilabio's comments interesting: "We nick named them KONI washers way back when,because all cars with KONI'S all seemed to have them." since that is one of the theories I've wondered about.

So we have three cars within 70 VIN units that possibly did not have the shock tower washers originally. Can any other 66 owners with cars in the same VIN area please chime in here?

Thanks, Dave

13. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Sorry I totally misunderstood the question all together. You were just talking about the shock towers only. For some dumb reason I thought we were talking about the export brace and all. Makes sense that Koni would need to be upgraded with extra support. Wonder how many may have been returned for warranty repair of shocks breaking and going through those hoods!

14. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Looked at black hertz car a while back and it did not have the washer brackets. It was around 1911 to 1919 sfm range if I remember right. But it was restored once long ago by a "Mustang Shop" who may have snatched the original brackets... Also know of a left over car without them but it was drag raced and popping wheelies probably totaled the original brackets.

15. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Actually, the 65-66 washers were not the same as used under the steering box to the frame rail bolts. Those have a flat edge while the 65-66 washers are totally round. Maybe the 67 and later washers are the same?

16. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I don't want to stir the pot or offend PD who has proven to me on numerious occasions to be very knowledgeable but in this case the steering box washers are too thick to be used for the shock tower brkts. AMK sells the correct thickness to make them up. You just have to call and ask for the ones used for the shock tower brkts and they always know what I want. I center them on the bkt tack weld it like the factory and if for 67-70 then using a cut off saw cut the inside edge flush with the opening then paint and what you have would make the Quality Control Staff (ha ha )at Shelby American back in 1967 proud. I think they look better with this approach but a less hassle free way is to call NPD .I think they sell them ether black or Chrome (yuk).

17. JamesFee

JamesFee Well-Known Member

1801 came with Koni's but did not have the washers welded onto the shock towers. I acquired the vehicle in 69 and have spoken to the original buyer several times. This is one of those differences I have accepted (though I guess judges see things differently :noway: ) My car also had the tie down plates that were supposed to be removed by the dealer. :doh:

The car is still blast to drive :thumbsup:

2021 came with Koni's and did have the welded washers.

j

18. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response James! We now have four cars between 1693 and 1801 that very likely did not originally come with the shock tower washers. The fact that your car did originally come with Koni's supports the supply issue theory. Hopefully we can get some more data from other owners and get an idea of the VIN span involved.

19. Snakepit

James, respectfully, how do you know the Koni installation was done at San Jose? If either/both were dealer installed that would have little to do with the shock supports unless they replaced them with standard Mustang ones.

I also have stories from original owners where they replaced the stock shocks with Koni's with in days or weeks and now do not have the washer welded shock supports. They can not explain why nor can they be sure if their car came that way.

Would suggest that you don't have "the fact" since this is a report or an observation IMHO.

Interesting the claims that 66 cars after the left overs came with Koni's. How are owners (other than recall) supporting it?

Since the 65 cars with Koni's came with them and later with the FOMOCO and AUTOLITE I can't see where the shock has a thing to do with the subject.

And agree the steering washers are way too thick for this application.

20. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Jeff, I agree the shock type probably has nothing to do with the subject. I included it as a possibility in my original inquiry because it was suggested to me in the past by some very knowledgeable people as a possible reason for the missing washers. I didn't believe in that scenario and figured if we find owners who had missing washers and can show their cars had original Koni's then it very strongly points to a supply issue and we can rule out the shocks.