Join Shelby Forums Today

66 shelby rear end setup...

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by jbarela, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jbarela

jbarela Well-Known Member

Ok can someone help me understand what is a open rear end, traction lock, posie, detroit locker...dont know the difference....what should a non hertz 66 shelby have in it?

2. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Open rear end - torque is delivered to one axle and consequently one rear wheel. When one tire breaks loose, the other one will not be engaged (one burn out mark on the pavement). Not well suited to performance applications.

Posi - actually a GM term commonly used to describe limited slip rear ends. It comes from GM's Positive something-er-another rear end. Same as a traction lock.

Traction Lock - Ford's version of posi. Before Traction Lock there was Equa Lock, which I believe was actually the only one around when the '65's and '66's were around, although I may be wrong. I don't think the actual Traction Lock came around until late '60's. Either way, Equa Lock and Traction Lock do the some thing. There are a series of clutches that engage when one wheel spins which apply torque to the non-spinning wheel. It basically behaves like an open rear end until you need both wheels (two burn out marks... possibly one a little shorter than the other).

Detroit Locker - The performance rear end. 100% torque to both wheels equally at all times with the ability to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds (tight turns). As far as I know this is what you should have unless there was some change in '66... best to let the Shelby experts chime in on that regard. Two burn out marks, equal length.

Hope this helps,
    Josh

3. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Jimmy,
    A 66 Hertz would have an open rear axle.
    /Bo

4. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

He was asking about a non-Hertz, though.

5. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Most 66's after car#252 (last carry-over car) would have an open rear end from Shelby American regardless of whether it was a Hertz or not. Jimmy, do you have the original rear end tag? The code on that will tell you which style you have. As a reference point 6S1757 originally had an open rear, currently has an Auburn pro-locker.

Dave

6. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Sorry guys,
    Didn't observe the non in front of Hertz. Don't
    think it makes any difference though as Dave
    said in his post.
    /Texas Swede

7. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

6s1117 came with the open rear end also. I don't know if there was a Shelby factory-installed option of the traction lock. Maybe the Detroit locker was however. Many of the so called Shelby options were to be installed by the dealer.

Z. Ray

8. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Dave is right on the Money. The Detroit locker was phased out and the Equa-Lock was for the most part a dealer installed option after 6S252if your rear end tag reads 3L89 it had a Detroit locker before 6S252 and a Equa-Lock after. If it reads 3.89 or 3.50 depending on how it is equipped it is a open. If you don't have a tag check with Howard to see if it you had the optional rear or the standard.

9. jbarela

jbarela Well-Known Member

thanks guys...looks like our rear end is going to come together just right!!

Jimmy