Join Shelby Forums Today

66 GT350 SFM6S389 for sale

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by fnkmstr67, Jul 9, 2006.

1. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

if you were the high bidder and won at 70k yes you should have to buy the car. YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING NOT AFTER. As much as you know these cars you have made some serious mistakes.

To the owner:

Please let us know when the deal is finished so we can have the facts.

thanks

2. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

NOTE TO JBSTEVEN

Get your facts straight before you post - I was NOT the high bidder on the auction and my ONE BID was placed and reserve was NOT MET -

Soooooooooo

No serious (or otherwise) mistakes was made by me (except maybe believing the text of his auction) that I have now show to be incorrect, inacurate and full of holes (just like his car)

SGB

3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Easy fellas....take a deep breath, or I'll have to remove this thread. :noway: Which is not a big deal but I don't want to have to do that but I also don't want a bunch of bickering back and fourth. Just let it go, wish him good luck with his sale and drop it. Somebody seems to be interested in the car so that's good for fnkmstr67 and Stephen, I know you'll get over it and move on to the next potential purchase so it's really not a big deal. Anyway, that's all.
    Randall

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  4. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

here is a quote of what I stated...........

I only stated IF you were the high bidder (which you weren't) and you won it (which you didn't) then you would have to purchase it.

Just for the record you bid $70k on the car so you were willing to pay $70k for it before getting all the info on the car. This is my point, nothing more.

I made my point and am done with this discussion. (wanted to add that tone of voice cannot be heard on the internet, my tone is not confrontational but rather just stating facts).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  5. d_ford

d_ford Well-Known Member

Note to seller - all buyers are liars!!

Stephen, I take exception to this statement. I've been a buyer several times over the years and have always been completely honest in my approach to buying a collectible car. I could say more but I don't want Randall to have to remove this thread so I'll just leave it at that.

Doug

6. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Come on Randall, this is the most action I've seen on a thread since the 07 Shelby news has cooled down.

7. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

I have been censored :doh: by the moderators!!!!

SGB

8. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Just don't personally attack each other and there's no worries. :D
    Randall

9. fnkmstr67

fnkmstr67 Active Member

Well, my buyer's plane didn't crash and he didn't get hit by a bus. :thumbsup: The car has been sold and I have the money in my hand. The car is going to it's new home in Southern California. I'm happy that the new owner is keeping it for himself and will restore the car the way I always wanted to. If anyone knows of any 14 x 6 plain steel wheels (Kelsey Hayes) that are for sale let me know as the buyer would like to have them in his efforts to make this car a thoroughbread. Thanks for all of the advice, tips and general interest in my Shelby.

Dan

10. Sandy Galbraith

Sandy Galbraith Well-Known Member

WOW!!!! Very interesting thread for sure...loved reading all about it. Randall don't remove this post...there's a ton of good education information here for prospective Ebay users and buyers in general.

I have bought and sold things on Ebay and can say I have had very good luck doing both. I tend to over describe my items so there is no confusion for the buyer. Not all do and thats a shame. I have been a bit disappointed in a few things but not so much that I left negative feedback. I have only refunded a purchase price one time...and that was because the buyer wanted a perfect item...mine had shelf wear even though it was brand new. I wanted him to be happy so I refunded his money. All it cost him to look at it was shipping. It all ended well.

Now I know with a car its totally different. Its a big expensive item...not easily transported to a distant buyer. Most of my friends that sell cars on Ebay THINK of it as a paid advertisement....exposure. They don't really expect to get a satisfactory end to the auction. Many times the buyer comes from the bidders but that can happen quite a while after the auction ends. Also many times the buyer comes from someone that has just watched the auction and contacted the seller afterwards. If anyone actually buys a car of this value WITHOUT personally inspecting it OR having someone that knows a lot more about the cars than they do inspect it deserves to get whatever is in store for them...because they didn't come from the upper end of the gene pool. It's kinda like spinning the cylinder on an old six shooter...and hoping the round misses the hammer.

I'm not a dealer as Stephen is so mostly my motivations would be a bit different. But in his defense I can say that he does speak pretty much the truth. He knows the cars and the costs involved in restoring them...it is not cheap...I know. He does have real money and can follow through on his offers. He is abrasive...no argument on that issue...and some won't deal with him...thats just the way of it...everyone is different. I'm a bit surprised that he didn't go look at the car if he wanted to seriously persue it.

And now to the really interesting stuff. A friend of mine did end up the buyer for the car. I am actually going to get the opportunity to see it in detail. Will be in another friends shop when it gets here. Once I have seen it I'll get back on here and give you all a report. Just seeing the pics on Ebay and knowing that rust is kinda like an iceberg I kinda agree with SB on whats going to need to be done....kinda gets back to... "its going to cost twice as much and take twice as long" to git er done.;)

11. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I personally had the good fortune ( ? ) to see this 66 Shelby, #389 this past week. I actually drove it off and back on to the hauler that my Shelby was on. It was in the way... on last and mine was in the upper forward position.

We got to take a very good look at this one. And it ain't pretty. Its going to need just about everything. Lots of rust issues...probably a full floor pan for starters. Lots of bondo. Both doors have blisters lower forward corners. Drivers side door also has bondo. And he isn't kidding when he said it had rust on the bottom. Also, the Moron who used an 1/8 inch drill bit to drill out the
    aft rivet on the Shelby tag should be castrated.

It's ugly, but someone will throw enough money at it to make a car out of it again. Probably will take as much money if not more that what it was bought
    for to do this one. Must be a real happy owner in California by now.
    Regards,
    shlby66

12. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

This thread has been one of the most important topics I have ever followed here. much to be learned by all who participated as well as observed. in the end the best part of this car is probably it's heritage and original drivetrain (I hope) by the time it is restored it will be worth what it cost to do so. (at least the new owner hopes) Best of luck to the Former Owner and New Owner!! :thumbup:

13. Sandy Galbraith

Well hopefully I'll get a chance to see this car soon. I think its supposed to be in the area today...hopefully at a friend of mine's shop.

The guy delivering it, Bill, is also a friend. Pretty nice setup he has for hauling these cars around. He took another friend's car to the convention and back.

I'll post my thoughts on the car once I see it.

14. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I have followed this with some interest as I personally know all of the involved
    parties ( except the seller ) that are involved with this car. Probably the most positive thing is that it is a real Shelby. And its all there. Thankfully.

The new owner is going to have to make some very hard decisions as how he
    approaches the restoration of this car. And nothing is going to be easy. But
    he has some heavyweight, skilled, knowledgeable Shelby people to help out.

As daviddalton mentioned previously, its great someone is going to bring it back to life and save another Shelby. I wish the best of luck to the new owner on this really large project.
    shlby66

15. Sandy Galbraith

Well I have had the chance to see the car now and would have to agree with shlby66 on its condition. It's going to take some time and quite a bit of money to bring this one back to anything near original condition.

It seems to me that the car's condition as originally listed on Ebay was understated. It was more accurately described in the days following as the auction progressed....and those descriptions should have set off red lights in any prospective buyers minds that IF they were still interested in buying the car that a trip to ACTUALLY see the car in person was the order of the day. Buying a car with all these red light statements surrounding it was certainly a big risk.

So where does the owner go from here?? I don't know the answer to that question yet and I don't think he does either. They are still evaluating it and the possible ways to deal with the car.

The biggest lesson to learn from this is that if you buy a car sight unseen that you run a huge risk of it not being as represented. Most sellers are just that ....SELLERS...and they want to sell their items. Not all but some are understated as to the overall condition in my opinion. Thats why the car should be personally inspected by someone who knows the cars VERY well....consider it an insurance policy....cheap protection. Now weather someone OTHER than a good bodyman would have been able to see all the areas of concern is a bit questionable in my opinion but never the less you need the inspection done.

Thats it....my 2 cents is in the mix. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.:noway:

16. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Not for the new owner!!

17. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Where is the market for 66's today. It seems even at $70,000 you could throw alot of money at this thing and still be O.K. At the end of the process one more Shelby will have been saved. Maybe it is because I live in Michigan that rust does not scare me. I would rathter replace every panel on this car than buy one of the rebodies that have been on e-bay recently.

18. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

down under the price for a descent '66 seems to be around the $250k Australian dollars - check out www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au (clik on US muscle) for a couple for sale in Australia. in nz the only two Shelby's on the open market at the moment are http://www.nzmustang.com/Buysell/CarsforSale1.htm car number 385
    and on Trade me (a nz auction site)
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Ford/auction-69611809.htm
    has anybody seen any of those new shelby models in K-Mart for $2.99 yet??
    cheers Graeme.

19. dan

dan Active Member

this guy makes no since at all .i get an email saying that the person who purchased this car wants to sell it and they give the email address too me so i can contact him, so i do Its the same guy who was selling it on ebay in july look at item number 290004962481 he sends me an email with his email from fnkmstr67 and the emails said the person who won the auction wants to sell the car here is his email address witch is the person who was selling the car the first time why email me and lie and now the car is here for sale from the same person who was selling it in july with the same name here as on ebay i dont understand this guy at all all i can say is use caution

The buyer of my car, is considering selling the car already.
    Apparentley he already has a 1965 GT 350, and his wife says he doesn't
    need to have 2 GT 350's. One has to go. He contacted me asking about
    other parties that were interested in the car. If you are you can
    contact him directly at markpaloian@sbcglobal.net.
    Marks Phone numbers are....

THIS IS THE EMAIL THAT WAS SENT TO ME FROM MARK I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY NOT TELL THE TRUTH

20. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

Geez if you read the register about the green one, it certainly has a history! Claim of factory supercharger is a little of the mark.