Join Shelby Forums Today

66 GT350 SFM6S389 for sale

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by fnkmstr67, Jul 9, 2006.

1. fnkmstr67

fnkmstr67 Active Member

2. Steve_GT350

Steve_GT350 Active Member

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear that the GT350 is leaving the family. Looks like there is quite a bit of interest so far with the auction, and that you will get a good price. Would be bidding on it myself, but not enough time on my hands to do the resto at this point...imagine that is one of your reasons for selling.

Steve GT350

3. Tout

Tout Well-Known Member

I thought this car went for a reasonable price, did I miss something?steven , your thoughts since you bid on this car to.
    Tout

4. fnkmstr67

fnkmstr67 Active Member

Car is not exactly sold yet........

5. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Hope everything goes OK on this for you. I have to say reading some of the questions you were asked it seem to me there are a LOT of tire kickers out there in Ebay land.
    Good Luck
    Bill

6. stephen_becker

stephen_becker Well-Known Member

I have a cashiers check, right here - I am just waiting for the seller/owner to call me at (770) 900 5532 - I can be on a plane tomorrow...........

SGB

7. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

How is the "after Auction":wacko: ....... "AUCTION" going??:guitar: :eek:

8. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Its a shame there are slime balls on ebay that would phrase questions like that guy that "smells something" . What a jerk. Maybe he'll buy a concours rebody... with a block that's been restamped nice and deep.

Good luck. Hope your car goes to good hands.

9. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

any educated guess on what amount of dollars it would take just to address the rust issues?

Z. Ray
    6s1117

10. daltondavid

as far as the guy saying "Something smells.." the "Seller" of any item on eBay can answer any question and not have it appear on their listing!!
    as for the Rust issues, the pictures of the damage are not clear enough to truly reveal what lurks under the 1980's Repaint or the shadowy areas in the photos. this just like ANY other car on eBay is a "MUST SEE" before you shell out the Big BUCKS!! it definitely was in need of a Rear Frame rail. to make the car "Concours" perfect you are looking at $50-70,000 Dollars. if you do the Math, that is about what an Automatic 66 GT350 in top condition is going for these days. the owner seemed like a nice guy when I spoke with him via PM's and after the auction he called me and we talked some more. apparently the High Bidder just so happened to Be a "Dealer" from his town! :doh: he claimed he wanted to see the Car go to a good home....:noway: I am glad we all got to see the car and hear the story. :dance: it is the "Rest of the Story" I am now real interested in hearing......:phones:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  11. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Since buying my car in 1979, I have had quite a few attempts to extract it from me. Some of the better stories I have posted elsewhere on this group. Years ago BI and BE (that's "Before Internet" and "Before EBay") I had one guy contact me, gave me a sob story about how he always wanted a 65 and would I consider selling him mine. He recently came into some money and wanted to meet. I told him the car wasn't for sale, but he came back with an offer that for the first time gave me pause. I hadn't kept up with the value of these cars at the time. I got another call from the guy I got the car from. He asked me if I had been contacted by this guy, knew his name. I said yes, he sounds like a good guy. He said "Yea, he works real hard to come across that way. Fact is, he is a dealer and thinks since you live in PoDunk Washington, you'll be an easy mark. Most likely, he has the car already sold. By the way, the current value of these cars is X." It seems that the offer was about 25K under what X was. This "nice guy, just want a Shelby-never-think-of-reselling-it who was really a dealer was making an end around attempt to buy a Sheby on the cheap. The next conversation we had was short and curt. Went something like "Car isn't for sale. Please do not call me again" and hung up.

12. fnkmstr67

fnkmstr67 Active Member

Car is still for sale, I was away this weekend....away from the nonstop emails from people wanting to know about the car and if it is still for sale. It's nice that it stirred up a lot of interest on Ebay. Obviously I want to get the most I can for my Shelby, who wouldn't? Ebay assures that a lot of people will see it. Some who are tire kickers and some who are hoping to pick up a cheap Shelby so they can make a quick buck. And unfortunatley there are those who bid on the car when they don't have the money in hopes that they can still strike a deal...Sorry not interested.

Car is still for sale....$80,000 OBO

13. daltondavid

are you on the plane yet Stephen?? I put a COPO Camaro on eBay and got my Buyer who eventually took the car from the exposure. and yes there are many shady dealers on there who always make people have to scrutinize each and every deal as they go down. it is the Bidder's loss and your temporary delay that the deal was not completed yet. I am sure a deal will be closed very soon and you can get on with the plans you have with your Family. Best of Luck!:thumbsup:

14. stephen_becker

I have tried, in very good faith and with cash buyer intentions to deal with this guy - His head is stuck in the clouds! He has not sold the car and he has some guy who is telling him he will pay 77k for the car BUT seller has NO MONEY (READ: TIRE-KICKER) from this buyer. No deposit, nothing!!!

Note to seller - all buyers are liars!!

I offered to get on a plane tomorrow to come and view and buy the car but my money is at 50k - It will take AT LEAST 65k just to get the car to a nice driver status. The car has almost 200,000 miles on it!!!

Seller has "shopped" the car to dozens of people (even ran it on e bay) and has run off any potential serious buyers by pricing in the clouds and being vague and ambigous about "ready to sell" positioning. Today, he tells me he really does not need to sell the car.............:confused:

huh??? :thumbdown :blink:

SGB

15. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

seems kinda rough to post this publically don't you think?

If I were the seller I would let the 77k buyer have a little room. $27,000 is enough to hold out for a little while.

16. stephen_becker

You missed the point - he lost me as a buyer because he is holding out on a dream.

Do you hold your breath because you look good in blue?? No.

Let's say Mr. 77k gets hit by a bus next week and is a "no-show" for the settlement - Then what is Mr. Seller to do?? Call me back and eat crow? I think not.

You don’t know me but if you ask around folks will tell you I am BRUTELY HONEST about how I do business and I do not mince words. You either love me or hate me but you know EXACTLY where I stand.

Everything I wrote is 100% correct so the seller should have no problem with my post. It is nothing against him it - He just lost me as a buyer

SGB

17. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

I know and understand your point. Maybe if Mr. 77k backs out the underbidders will step up.

Looks like you were in at $70,000 on Ebay but only willing to pony up $50k now. What's the honest truth about that? What if all the bidders above you back out, are you going to honor your $70k bid?

18. stephen_becker

That is a GREAT question. I would have "stepped up" and paid my bid amount had the seller represented ALL the rust issues as they REALLY were. However, after speaking with the seller, at length, I learned that not only did the car have the vagely described rust problems it ALSO had door patches, rear frame rail rust thru/patchs and, according to the seller, the car has "very soft floors"

So what do you think, should I honor my "not accepted" bid after learning of this additional 25k in rust repairs that need to be done to the car??

SGB

19. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I inquired when he first put the car up for sale. My impression is that he is a good guy...answered all my questions and responded quickly. From my limited interaction, I think he is honest. I did not get the impression he was in any need to sell. I think he just decided to test the market, only intending to sell if the price/offer was right. It seems he wants $80,000 which I just don't think is in the right ballpark considering the condition. But there's nothing wrong with him asking $80,000 or $100,000 or whatever he wants. I can ask $50,000 for my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder but I doubt anyone is going to cut me a check tomorrow.

By the way, anyone in need of a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder??? I'm placing an ad very soon. $4000. :thumbsup:
    Randall

20. fnkmstr67

fnkmstr67 Active Member

SGB is quite the arrogant exagerator to say the least. I guess it's the car saleman mentallity. Close to 200000 miles!!!! At least 65 K to make it a nice driver. His head is in the clouds!!!!! He's just mad that I won't sell it to him...at any price!!! He lost me the first time I talked to him on the phone. Bla bla bla!!!!.....$ talks BS walks! Millions dollar man!!! Pffft!!! Bad mouth me all you want SGB. The car is sold, If the guy's plane crashes before he pays me, I have 2 other people standing in line to pay at least 20 grand more that you (MR deep pockets?) are willing to cough up.