Join Shelby Forums Today

'66 Exhaust Placement

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Kingchief, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

HI,

I am having a '66 GT-350 beautifully restored. I know the exhaust should exit out the rear of the car but I like the '65 style...side exit in front of the rear wheels. It is a show quality restoration and will be shown at local events and maybe at a national event. Question: does having the exhaust exit like a '65 effect the value and what impact will it have at shows???

I look forward to your imput especially Mr. Gaines.

Thank you.

2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Concours correct or show car? Also, what number Shelby?

:cool:

3. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Honestly I do not know the difference between show car and concours correct. But, I suspect she will be closer to concours correct and it is a rotisserie restoration.

I just would like to have some advice on exhaust exit. I like the side but I know the rear is correct as I have seen in another thread.

What would anyone else do???

4. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

you might want to check if side exit exhaust is even legal in your state.

since you ask, I wouldn't do it if I were planning to show the car. Even as a driver I wouldn't do it. Too noisy.

Liking it as an idea is going to be different than living with it as a reality.

Z.

rshelby likes this.
  5. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

What are your goals for the car? Will you be driving it much? Or keep it “under glass” and trailer it everywhere? Which kinds of contests do you plan to compete in? MCA, SAAC concours, other?

If you plan on serious SAAC concours (as close to original as possible) competition, then side exhaust will be a big no-no. If you plan on simple local popular vote gatherings then it probably won’t matter. If you will primarily be driving the car, with shows as a sideline activity, then do whatever you want – it’s your car.

As far as value, if you’re going to sell the car soon you’ll probably get a little more by going with the full exhaust system out the back. How much more I wouldn’t know.

And remember; whatever you do now, you can always change your mind later. I’ll bet your restoration shop can swap out the exhaust system in short order… for a fee, of course.

Steve

rshelby likes this.
  6. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The side exhaust will have a negative effect on value of the car. How much is relative to the situation. It might devalue it at just the cost of replacing the exhaust system or it might be the last straw that broke the camels back in someones buying decision after adding up any other short comings. The vast majority of the people buying these cars are concerned about how original it is compared to factory built. It will have a negative effect in any concours event and where ever you go you will have to field questions on why it has side exhaust on a 66. A barrage of questions about a feature like that will get old quick . If this was going to be a driver car it wouldn't matter much until you were prepared to sell. As has been mentioned the side exhaust is not very driver friendly and because of the volume of the exhaust sound will compromise your driving experience I think. Based on what I have read of your situation I think you will regret installing the side exhaust maybe not immediately but most certainly at some point. Been there done that. My Father (Mr Gaines ) didn't like Shelby's much. Myself (Bob) is ate up with them :laf: . These are just my opinions and only voiced because i was asked and because I want you my fellow enthusiast to have the most enjoyable car experience and memories. Bob

rshelby likes this.
  7. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Thanks everyone for you input. I really appreciate the feedback. I will indeed have an original rear exit exhaust installed on her. As to what I will do with her, I will drive her and enjoy! She may be too good to drive but since I have no trailer, she will be my Sonic car! Just to the drive-in and home. There is a monthly Cars and Coffee that I will go to but that is it. She is for my retirement! I have ALWAYS wanted a '66 and now I will have a stunning example.

Thank again! By the way Bob, I am ate up with Shelbys also. The ONLY issue is NOT ENOUGH $$$ to support my WANTS!!!