Join Shelby Forums Today

'65 cragar 5-spokes- will they work on granada brakes?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Sedanman, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Sedanman

Sedanman Member

Okay, these are the coolest looking wheels ever made as far as I'm concerned B) http://www.cobranda.com/GetItemDetail.asp?ItemID=1158&CatID=587&DeptID=1 , and when I can afford them I'd like to put them on my falcon. (I'd paint the spoke windows dark grey or black for a look like the Flat Four wheels you see on old VW's). Does anyone know if they will fit over the caliper and outer bearing cone on the rotor? I've invested a bundle in my dropped granada spindles, so running stock type disc brakes like those from Stainless Steel Brakes is not an option. I know the factory disk brake wheels on my dad's '65 fastback will not work as the center hole is too small and the caliper hits the wheel center.

The other thing I like about these wheels is the backspacing- 6 inches wide with 4 in backspace, exactly the same as the '89 crown victoria wheels I'm running at the moment. Falcons cannot run a 15x7 wheel with 4 or 4.5 in backspace due to the low cut rear wheel (well, not lowered ones like mine :rolleyes: ) and I don't want to radius the openings. I have not been able to find any other wheels with this square-ish spoke that will do the job, and I don't want to run Tork Thrusts or the generic Cragar 5-spokes. I like the Radirs and Intro Vistas (a modern interpretation of the old Hurst 5 spoke) but they don't come in the right width/backspace. Any other brands of wheels with this look that I'm missing? If the '65 Shelby/Cragar 5 spoke does fit the granada brakes, where is the best deal on them?

Sedanman

2. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

I think those are very cool too. I am not sure about your question, but Paradise Wheel sells them for a bit cheaper. Maybe you can get them sooner than you think :dance:

3. Sedanman

Sedanman Member

Yes, and they are the ONLY 15x6 wheel I can find with a 4 inch backspace. I was beginning to think I'd be stuck with my steel Grand Marquis taxi cab wheels forever :lol: Who is Paradise wheel and how do I get ahold of them? I notice price varies a bit- Tony Branda and Mustangs etc. are the only places I've seen them for sale. I'd rather pay more if paying less means getting some cheapo copy.

S-man

4. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Paradise Wheel uses the orginal tooling and Branda probably get his from them.

Here is the link. The are in San Marcos, Ca.

http://www.paradisewheelsinc.com/

I have never inquired with them, but keep me posted on what you find out.

5. Sedanman

Sedanman Member

Thanks, Ken, I'll look into it.

Thor

6. dv67shelby

dv67shelby Well-Known Member

I purchased (5) MagStar rims from Craig at Paradise Wheels for my 67 Shelby and am extremely pleased. Craig is a great guy to deal with and his products are of the highest quality. I highly recommend him and his prices can't be beat! Take care - David :thumbup:

7. Sedanman

Sedanman Member

Thanks, David!

Ken,

Craig Conley at Paradise wheel e-mailed me back- this is what he said.

I HAVE NOT TRIED TO MOUNT A 65 CRAGAR ON A GRANADA DISC BRAKE SET UP. IF YOU WOULD LIKE I CAN SEND YOU A CENTER OF A WHEEL TO TRY OUT. I SELL THEM IN SETS OF 4 @ 350.00 EA. I CAN SELL YOU A COSMETIC BLEM FOR 300.00 EA. I ALSO CAN MAKE THEM IN 15X7 WITH A 5.125 REAR BACK SPACING. THAT WOULD WORK WELL ON THE BACK OF A FALCON.

I'm not sure what the blemish would be, but since I'd like to paint the spoke windows anyhow maybe he has some with that part scratched. I'm not going to have him send me a wheel to try out at the moment as I'm busy with other projects, but will look into it more when I have time.

Thor