Join Shelby Forums Today

5 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by BillH, Oct 12, 2006.

1. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Hi Jerry,

I think the 5 speed is great for the replica, just with how thorough and precise you've been with everything, I had assumed you were using a 4-speed in it. I thought maybe you were asking about one of your other cars. Since it is for the replica, though, is it safe to assume you want to use the original z-bar clutch linkage? If so, you'll be using a 289/302 scattershield, 28 ounce imbalance flywheel and a 10" clutch. The input shaft for the T-5 is 3/4" longer than that of a T-10 or toploader, so you need a 3/4" spacer behind the bellhousing. You'll also want to use the needle bearing bushing from a mid-80's 5 liter Mustang. The spacer behind the bellhousing means the driveshaft may or may not need to be shortened.

I know they're the same cars with the same tranny's, but they actually had enough variation in how the T-5 shifters line up that some fit, some don't. Mine did. May also have to do with the fact that these conversions are being done to 43 year old cars that have been in accidents, have fatigued, have aftermarket motor mounts, etc. I don't know. You're incredibly skilled at metal work, so if yours doesn't line up, I'm sure you'll be able to massage the tranny and motor mounts to make it line up without hacking the trans tunnel if that's your concern.

I've got a lot of info on the conversion and I can write up a full explanation of flywheel options, clutch options, etc. and PM you, that way I don't have to write the longest post of all time.

Josh

2. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

I may envy your speed limit situation, but I want to make sure you know a '65 Shelby GT-350 (or replica ) is not aerodynamic, even with spoilers or air dams. You will be danger to yourself or others at any speed over 140. But hey, go to race track, first, and prove me wrong.

Z. Ray

3. 1972steve

1972steve Active Member

My 2 cents worth.

I have a 66 Shelby replica restomod.
    351 Windsor motor
    Centerforce clutch
    Keisler Perfect fit 5 speed .64 overdrive
    4.11 gears in 9 inch rear.

Works great for me. Had to do minor mods to the transmiton tunnel. Highly reccommend Keisler. Helped me through everything.

Steve

4. sharpe427

sharpe427 Well-Known Member

I installed a T5 in my '66--best thing I ever did. Saved all the old parts, but the .63 OD (4.11 gears) makes the car a great all arounder. I would suggest you get the M7003Z trans instead of the regular T5; the M7003Z trans has a 2.95 1st gear, the regular T5 a 3.35 and it (the M trans) makes first gear more useful. I used an adapter plate to keep the oe bellhousing, bought the plate and crossmember from Mustangs Unlimited. Did not have to alter anything else; the driveshaft worked and the tunnel opening was perfect. I used the MU chrome handle, so it all looks stock except for the knob (I used one w/ the 5 speed pattern). I have not had any issues at all with the 5 speed.

5. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

@josh

Thanks a lot please send all informations to gt350r@gmx.de
    Very very interesting thank´s! :thumbsup:

@Ray
    You are right but i was going several times 140 with my worn out
    suspension and C4 tranny in my 66 coupe i felt like Neil Armstrong.
    But with this great suspension and set up on the fastback i feel
    very save.
    Or maybe i´m just nuts i don´t know! :doh:

@Steve&sharpe427
    Thank you guys also!

Bye Jerry

6. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

I get it now, you are doing 140 KPH, not 140 MPH.

Z. Ray

7. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

No Ray! I was talking about MPH!
    I friend of mine was also telling me about aerodynamic problems
    with the R Model. But let me tell you this.
    My crazy ol´dad was doing 146MPH with his 33`Ford Hot Rod
    5 window coupe.
    My uncle was behind him in a new Mercedes on the Autobahn.
    And if i compare the rod with the R model. I´m more than
    realistic. That´s one thing i like about germany.
    The speed limit. :guns:

Greeting from germany
    :D

8. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

Run away, run far away from the T5 with a Gforce gearset. I had one built and spend 2 years trying to track down a really, really bad vibration that ended up being the transmission. Gforce would NOT stand behind their product. Modern Driveline doesn't even do business with them any more.

9. MICHAEL O

MICHAEL O New Member

:thumbup: Greetings to all members. I recently purchased a 1965 Shelby GT 350 Fastback Clone. It has the 5 speed conversion with Hurst shifter. It shifts smoothly up and down the pattern and I have yet to miss a gear. At 65 MPH in 5th gear, the tack rests at 2000 RPM. Fourth gear is perfect for slower speeds in the city. At 40 MPH, the tach reads 2000 RPM. No, it is not stuck! I really love the car.