Join Shelby Forums Today

225/50R15 or 225/60R15

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by kach-64, Feb 14, 2008.

1. kach-64

kach-64 Member

Just purchased a new set of 7in Torque Trust wheels and can't decide which would be the best tire size. I saw an article in Mustang Monthly and they suggest the 50s are a great look on a 65 or 66. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Mike

2. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I have 225/60 R 15 Goodyear gatorbacks on a '65. I personally do not like the look of 50 series tires on an old car, but that's completely personal preference. My torq thrusts are old (i.e. original ones) and I haven't measured the offset, but I believe it's a little different than the new offerings. I had them on my fastback for a long time and it took a lot of trial and error and clearancing of the fender lips before they stopped rubbing constantly. The backs still rubbed on big dips in the road. Now they're mounted on my coupe and I haven't worked the fender lips over at all and they rub A LOT! I would imagine the problem would be less with 50 series tires, but I really only like the look of the 60 series tire on the '65/'66 cars.

You should ask the members to post pic's of their cars if they have either tire size on a '65/'66 and decide which look you like the best. There are plenty of people on here that I'm sure could help you out. I'd post my fastback when it was on the road with the 225/60 15's, but I don't have a picture of it on this computer. I'll scan one tonight and post it for you.

3. crzy4shelbys

Here are some pictures of my car with 15x7 Torq Thrusts (although as I said in my previous post, I believe the offset is slightly different from the modern version) with 225/60 15's. The pictures of the car on the road don't show the tires all too well because they're in the shade, so I included a few of them when they were mounted on it during tear down.

Hope this helps you decide. Hopefully someone running 225/50 15's will post pic's. You might also want to search old threads. I remember seeing tire size discussions come up before and people posting pictures of their cars.

BTW, in the pictures of my car on the road, it's running cut down springs in the front and the a-arms are lowered 1". I don't have an exact number for how much the front springs are lowered because I just did trial and error cutting them down a little at a time until I was happy with the stance. The rear leafs are 1" lowered.

Attached Files:

4. kach-64

kach-64 Member

Thanks for the pictures, the old story a picture is better than words is so true.I hope someone will post a few pictures of a 50 series on 15in rims for me. Anyone out there with this combo? It would help me decide on the tires that I need to finish off my stang. I looking at the BF Goodrich Sport tire. There is a 66 GT350 retso on ebay with these tires and it looks fantastic, I just don't know the size of them.

5. crzy4shelbys