Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 - 2009 gt500 differences

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by DaveZ, Mar 26, 2010.

1. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

Are there any differences between a 2007 GT500 and a 2009 GT500?
    I had an opportunity to buy an 07 for $29,700 a while back
    I have found a 2009 for under $34,000.
    If there is no real differences between the two I will wait until I find the lowest price for a 07 - 09.
    I know it's newer but I don't see any point in spending the extra 4k for essentially the same car unless they are mechanically better.
    DZ

2. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

options like navigation and ambient lighting are about the only difference. other than that ,,if you put an 07 an 08 and an 09 side by side you would have to look at the tenth digit of the vin number to tell which one it is.

3. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

Did some of the 07's have wheel hop issues or clutch problems that may have been refined later on?
    dz

4. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

wheel hop issues, yes bc its a mustang but it was never refined, the car is pretty much unchanged from 07 to 09

5. springer

springer Well-Known Member

Well the cars are basically the same, the 2009 has the new and improved revised clutch assembly that so many of the 2007-2008 owners have had problems with.

There have been several TSB's (Ford Technical Service Bulletins) on repair/replacement of the clutch. I believe it is in the 4th or 5th revision. The clutch problems can lead to transmission problems if not repaired properly and in a timely manner.

If buying an 07-08, make sure the car has had the clutch repaired. I believe it is about a $2000 to $4000 repair through Ford, depending on how extensive the damage.

6. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

a lot of the 09 shelbys have the clutch /flywheel issue also. There is a cutoff date mentioned in the TSB and there is also an inspection port under the car to look and see if it has the old or new. The clutch/flywheel issue comes about when the car is in stop and go driving daily or all the time. Things cannot cool properly thus the flywheel gets warpped. I would be more concerned with having the engine checked out by a certified mechanic when buying a used shelby. Get a carfax report on it.:thumbup:

7. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

All 07, 08 and 09's have the wheel hop issue. You can fix that in 2 ways. Spend some money on control arms to decrease that problem. Or you can save some money by incorporating a small amount of sanity in your take off from a dead stop and the wheel hop will not happen. This is America,,,you have a choice.:thumbsup:

8. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

Thanks for all the help.
    Is the clutch issue under a warranty? Doesn't sound like it for an 07 but maybe for an 09
    dz

9. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

The clutch issue and warranty??? It just depends on who you are dealing with. The clutch is considered a wear and tear item and is not covered under the 5 year power train warranty,,but,,,there is a TSB issued by Ford for a warpped flywheel due to the clutch overheating in stop and go driving,,,so,,,if you dealing with a Ford place you can ask about it. It does not cost a dealership any money to perform the TSB. That is paid for by Ford Motor Co. so do not let a sales person jerk you around on that point. The $3500.00 more for an 09,,depends on milage, but is about right value wise as long as the price is around 36k up or down a little. Are you dealing with an owner or dealer?

10. springer

springer Well-Known Member

The clutch problem is covered under warranty. Cars produced after 10/1/2008, were outfitted with the new clutch assembly. It shouldn't be an issue with many of the GT 500's manufactured in 2009. The build date of your car is on the Manufactured By Ford sticker on the driver's side door post below the door striker. Look in the upper left hand corner of the tag.

11. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

The build dates for the 09's started in june of 08. There are a lot of 09's out there with the old clutch/flywheel. The clutch is not covered even under the extended warranty.

12. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

Original owner, Under 34k, 3000 miles
    dz

13. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

If this 09 is a color that suits you, pay for a carfax report on it. It sounds like a good deal. Why is the owner selling it? The milage is low enough. Does it have ambient lighting or navigation?

14. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

He is selling it because of the payments. No on the navigation, not sure on the lighting.
    dz

15. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

Let us know what you're gonna do and good luck:thumbsup: Oh do you remember if there was a square button on the center console next to the cup holders? That is the button for the ambient lighting.

16. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

So do I understand this right if you have an 07 but the manufacture date on the door sticker is 06 and you don't think your having any problems should you ask the dealer to tear your car apart to replace the assembly anyway?

I have 12,000 miles on it and an extended Premicare warranty thru Ford they gave me for no charge.

Thanks, Dan.

17. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

The newest TSB out says that the car has to exhibit the problem before any work will be done,

18. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well I just talked to the dealership and explained to him that sometimes in traffic my clutch feels soft like its going to the floor and in traffic it is hard sometimes to shift between gears you kind of have to force it a little each time it's not very smooth at all. I usually just keep pushing it or pulling it until it goes in and out of gear never thought much of it.

Nick at the dealer said that they only had one transmission guy so I would have to leave my car to be looked at and there would be some downtime if the car show the symptoms of the problem and they would check it out. I told him I wasn't worried about the down time more than I was worried about tearing up an expensive car! And he said he understood.

I'm supposed to bring it in and drop it off Wednesday. Does this sound like something I should have done? If I remember correctly my 97 Cobra had to have a clutch done under warranty for something similar.

Thanks, Dan.

19. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well I made an appointment with the dealer yesterday to drop the car off tomorrow morning to be checked. I'm not sure if it is going to do what they say is the "symptoms" or not so I called back today and told him it was warming up the next few days and I wanted to drive it a bit to make sure it is in fact acting up before I waste anyone's time. And the dealer said that was fine.

Now that being said I drove it some today and the only thing I notice is sometimes usually after your driving a while or in traffic a bit...1st and 2nd gear is a little "notchy" go get in out of or a little "clumpy" going in and out sometimes you have to pull it back and try again and its fine...now if you try any of the other gears i.e. 3rd 4th etc...they go in and out smooth.

So honestly I don't know if this is what is occuring. But 1st and 2nd definitely aren't smooth once you've been using the clutch a while but the other gears are.

Any input? Thanks, Dan.

20. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I just talked to the dealer again and explained to them what was going on that after about 10 or 20 minutes of clutch usage 1st and 2nd gear became very difficult to go in and out of but the other gears were fine. That when it is cold it shifts fine in all gears but when it warms up or you use it for consistently for a few minutes you kinda have to force it into 1st and 2nd gears or stop pull it back and try again to get it to go without really forcing it.

The guy I spoke with Monday was Nick and the guy I spoke with Tuesday and today was Mike. Mike said that it sounded like the TSB and was a flywheel and disc issue. He said it should not be hard to get in gear at any time. And he said it sounded exactly like what the problem was and their one transmission guy had been there a long time and was probably the best in the area.

So I'm going to drop it off the first of next week and they are going to put it inside until it's done.

Can anyone tell me if this is what the problem is? The TSB? because shouldn't it be hard to get in ALL gears and not just 1st and 2nd? Please remit...

Thanks all you help is always much appreciated..

Dan