Join Shelby Forums Today

1969 Shelby GT 500 valuation for original owner

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by pipeliner, Nov 25, 2012.

1. pipeliner

pipeliner New Member

This is my first post. My dad is the original owner of a 1969 Shelby GT 500 automatic with 62k original miles. It is Competition Red with white stripes and a black interior. Everything in this car is original and has been sitting in an enclosed garage, untouched since the mid 80s. We are looking to sell the car, but we first want to get a feel for its valuation and I’m hoping the people on this forum can help. Here is the story below…

My dad bought the car new in Virginia right after he returned from serving in Vietnam. He has never raced the car and it has never been in an accident.

A series of small problems in the mid 80s caused the car to be garage-kept ever since. Initially the water pump went out. At the same time the heater core started leaking anti-freeze into the interior, so the heating line was disconnected and capped off. In an attempt to turn the car over a plastic/teflon coating on either the flywheel or the starter was damaged. The A/C does not work, and the fog lights were stolen. The carburetor and ram air intake have been removed and are sitting in the trunk. Around this time I was born and my dad was just starting his dental practice. So he left the Shelby in the garage where it has been sitting ever since.

Again, everything about this car is original including engine, transmission, paint, interior, wheels, smog components, factory A/C, compressor, radiator, glass, etc. The interior is in excellent condition and wouldn’t need any major work. The exterior is in great condition with no signs of rust.

There is detailed paperwork including all titles back to 1971. My dad had to surrender his Virginia title when he moved. He kept a maintenance log book with dealer garage receipts with dates, mileage and detailed descriptions of all work done on the car.

Any thoughts on valuation?

DSCN1205.jpg IMG_0423.jpg IMG_0420_edit.jpg DSCN1244.jpg DSCN1232.jpg DSCN1231.jpg DSCN1230.jpg DSCN1227.jpg DSCN1225.jpg DSCN1224.jpg DSCN1212.jpg DSCN1211.jpg DSCN1208.jpg DSCN1207.jpg DSCN1201.jpg PB050011_edit.jpg

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

The value may be different then what you get if you sell it. You will beseiged by offers now. The other part of that equation is someone has to be willing to step up and shell out the cash. If you have to sell it now, the value will be less. If you are willing to wait and take endless calls from tire kickers and fifteen year old kids, you may hold out for more.

I would put the value in the 75-80,000 range. If you need to sell it now, considerably less. The best thing you could do is get it running with the original parts. That will help the value. You need a complete inspection to establish the best number.

rshelby likes this.
  3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

4. Grumpy

Grumpy Member

Wow.. You never know whats stashed away someplace :cool:

5. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Goog luck with the sale!