Join Shelby Forums Today

1968 Ignition Switch

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by doc, Jul 18, 2005.

1. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Okay here is the problem. My car had sitting about 6 years (GT-500KR). I replaced battery, battery cables, starter solenoid and voltage regulator. The starter was replaced several years ago with a gear reduction unit due to heat soak issues with Ford starters. My car will not turn over when it has been sitting for a period of time unless I disconnect the s lead off the starter solenoid with the ignition switch on and do the old screwdriver trick. The engine will attempt to crank and once the lead is reconnected, the car will start fine in the normal manner with no problems most of the time. The trouble seems to occur after the cars for sits for awhile. Sometimes it will start after a slight delay of about a second when the key is in the start position but most of the time you just get nothing but the alternator light coming on. The electrical system seems to be charging fine (13.6 volts) and the car starts fine (No Heat Soak !!) even after aggressive driving in the heat especially this past weekend (Northern Va. 90 plus degrees). The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the ignition switch. Before I go there, is there anything else I should look at ? Have any of you experienced this problem. Inquiring minds want to know

Thanks

Doc

2. Bish

Bish Active Member

Could be a faulty starter solenoid.
    From you post I could not tell if you you replaced it recently or 6yrs ago.

3. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Replaced solenoid, battery and cables within the last month. Perhaps the solenoid could be faulty?

Doc

4. Bish

Bish Active Member

I recently purchased a concours correct solenoid, it was faulty. So I put a regular over the counter one on, no problems at a faction of the cost.
    Also a long shot, but the tilt-away wheel has to be fully engaged for the car to start, right?
    Good luck.

5. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Tilt away hasn't worked in years. One of the things I have been meaning to get to when I have time. The steering wheel is locked into the drive position so I don't belive this is the problem. It is puzzling how everything seems to work once you bump the engine over?

Doc

6. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

When you turn the ign. switch to start and only the alt. light comes on, when you turn it to start does the alt. light go dim? I don't think it is your switch. As mentioned above the tilt may be at fault. I have the same car and a few times I have gone to start it with the same problem you've had. Quick touch of the wheel down and starts right away. Must be a sensitive switch. Also the door jamb switch, is it making good contact? Are you still running the factory starter delay?

7. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Uhmm... Come to think of it you might be right. The alternator light does goes dim when you try to start. Never thought of the door switch but how would you check that? I believe the tilt column is vacuum assisted so is there a way to get the steering wheel back into the tilt mode and perhaps try to reset the wheel from there? I am not running the starter delay and the car has been missing this piece since I purchased it 15 years ago. As a side note, I ordered a new switch to at least eliminate this one possibility. Thanks for the feedback on the steering wheel. Is there anybody that has any experience repairing or rebuilding these tilt mechanisms?

Doc

8. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

The wheel is vacuum asst. and it will work a few times till it runs out of vacuum reserve in the can. The door switch makes contact when the door is open. After so many years of working the contacts wear. You can pull the switch out and either use a continuity tester or use a test light. The power is going to the switch so you can unplug the unpower side and put the test light in. If it lights up and goes out with the motion of the switch then odds are it is OK. I believe there is another switch located on the tilt where the colum bends. If the wheel isn't fully engaged then power isn't allowed to flow. Few times I just need to gently touch the wheel down to get it to make contact. Either way they are both simple fixes that are easy to get at. I know I've heard someone does the tilt rebuild, just can't remember off hand.

9. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Thanks, the more I think about it the more I am convinced my problem may be in the tilt mechanism.

Doc

10. cobra427

cobra427 Well-Known Member

At the base of the column there is a black cable that tilts the wheel, you can pull it yourself and the wheel will tilt. I had to do this a few times to get my car started, just pull the cable and the wheel will tilt and pull the wheel into place and it will lock and them repeat, it works the switch.

11. doc

doc Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary, I will try that. I truly appreciate all the feedback guys

Doc :)