Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Shelby Red Oxide?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Shelby~gt350#3000, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

My Shelby will soon be back home after sandblasting. The question I have is:

What shade of Red Oxide primer does the undercarriage get?

I see two shades of Red Oxide done on Shelbys. One color looks kind of orange in color and the other looks deep red. Anyone know which shade is CORRECT and where to puchase the proper shade by the gallon?

HOPEFULLY THE PICS HELP A BIT.

Thanks,
    JIM

Attached Files:

2. 1175

1175 Well-Known Member

I have often wondered the same question. I think the more red version looks prettier, but not sure which is correct. I'm sure someone here knows which one is correct. I will need to know fairly soon myself for my 67 GT 350 resto.
    Jon

3. 1967GT350

1967GT350 Member

Hi Jim

I have read numerous articles and visited in the past with Drew Alcazar about your primer question. Keeping in mind that in the mid 60's you could have had who knows what on the underside of your car, the most accepted shade of red oxide is DP74 PPG primer. It is a near perfect match for any of the Mustangs I have owned. From my experience you can adjust the "shine" by how much you reduce it.

Hope this helps...Mark

4. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a few pics of the undercarriage of my car in the photo gallery under my user name.The pics are from my GT500,#910 and are the original floors in the car.Hope these help......Greg.

5. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

It varies a little by plant and year but generally the original is a little pinker than DP74
    Tim

6. Shelby~gt350#3000

Mark, thanks a ton on that PPG number. I think with all the pictures i looked at of undercarriage cars, the brighter orangish- redish color like the car on the right will probably be my pick. The odd thing is the original red oxide primer on my shelby is all over the floors on the inside and outside but it looks alot like the color on the underside of the car on the left:blink: I wasnt sure if the color has faded and changed after sitting for 27 years.
    Im going to surf the web for that PPG number and see if anyone shows a color sample.
    Thanks again!
    JIM

Attached Files:

7. Shelby~gt350#3000

Greg:

WOW!!..THOSE ARE SOME AWESOME ORIGINAL FLOORS ON YOUR SHELBY!
    From the looks of your Shelby your floors have the more orangy colored red oxide primer. That's the color I want to go with. Hopefully that PPG number will look like that.
    Jim

8. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to everyone on this thread! The best paint and primer for your car is ppg.It is as close to the factory color as it needs to be,and is very durable.To be concours there should also be some body color on the floor pan,and it should be an exact color match to the exterior .The engine compartment can be primed with DP90 for a very durable base.For the addition of/or change in sheen or gloss there are flattening additives available,or you can add reducer and it will dry with more shine.Hope this helps answer your question. P.D. P.S. Always wear the proper stuff when dealing with any chemicals.See the coralsnake website for some pictures.

9. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

65-66 (except for a couple of months) was pretty consistent (not as many variations when compared to later years or other plants) on the tone and color. IMHO the straight out of the can is not close from any of the San Jose cars but may get you past the judges (depending on who the judges are ;) if you adjust the shine up. Generally I would describe it as browner and with more shine. Last batch I had mixed (before the bases were harder to get around here) took 30+ efforts before we got something that was perfect when compared to the original

Here is a few examples = all the same 67 San Jose car. Just different lighting and prep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures are a computer screen are not the best way to compare colors or match them. This is the reason I started collecting sections of nice floors and use them when helping with restorations. For a couple here they have just taken the sample (from a car built around the same time as their car - if their car has been stripped or played with) to the painters to have matched.

Here are a couple more examples of original 67 San Jose undercarriages. Got plenty of pictures ;) as currently the collection is around 25,000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would suggest you do your homework (as it appears you are) and get the unibody right since redoing anything on it is impossible once assembled. Remember everything else is bolt on after that. ;)

In closing watch out finishing the front and rear wheel wells on a San Jose. Allot of the car you see in magazines and Ebay are finished like Dearborn cars. In other cases you will see undercarriages on 67's to look like what 68 NJ cars look like in magazines (not originally - but in restorations)

Neither are really a surprise considering where they are "restored" as often people away from San Jose cars do not realize the differences

10. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

I recently got through cleaning the original floor pan on my 67 GT350 (#2206). I used old towels and a LOT of Krud Kutter.

Anyway the original color has an orangey-pink tone. My wife calls it "coral" or "salmon". Lest you think that it has faded in spots it is that same color even under 1/4" of grease in the tranny tunnel.

Because of overspray from a previous repaint I had to duplicate this color under the radiator support. I don't have a spray gun so I did it with rattle cans. I got close by spraying a coat of Rustoleum "rusty red" primer followed by a salmon pink and then dusted some more Rustoleum on top of it.

I'm not into the show car thing but I find it ironic that if I did a total restoration of the car and painted the undercarriage that color I would probably get points deducted for it.

11. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

67200F5A02206 What color was the exterior color on your car? (taking the lazy way rather than looking it up ;)

12. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

"5" is Dark Moss Green,
    That's the beauty of 67's - color change cars are easy to spot:rolleyes:

67 200 F 5 ...

Mike