Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Edward66GT350, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 67st102

67st102 Member

Re: 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake pix needed

Charlie

There are also some pictures and discussion about your car in the Shelby American Magazine #53 - in the Cobrasations article about Fred Goodell who was the chief engineer for Shelby from 1967 through 1969. Fred is pictured with Carrol in the Supersnake photo above. According to this interview, Fred was the guy who actually drove the car all day averaging 142 MPH for 500 miles. Let me know if you need a copy of this article. SAAC might still also have some back issues of this edition available. Check their website.

2. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

My understanding is Carroll drove it at first and then said he had to fly to Washington to testify about something and turned it over to Fred to run the balance of the miles.

3. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Paul, I can respect your view but I think it is a little over the top to be honest. I could have bought 3 or 4 "original" Shelby's for the price I paid for the Continutation Supersnake but I liked this particular Shelby more. I think these cars allow people to further enhance the Shelby name and drive the prices up on all Shelby's including the one you own.

If Carrol himself did not put his name on the car, sign the dash, give it a Shelby VIN, and if it did not go in the Shelby World Registry, I would agree with your view. All of those things I mentioned do happen and that it was drove me to make the deal.

Sorry you feel so strongly I was just trying to share my experience as a collector.

4. mherman2

Thank you for the support. I like original Shelby's as much as the next guy. The 725hp Supersnake and it being only 1 of 7 convertibles got me pretty excited.

I will also buy an original Shelby 500GT, just getting into collecting and figuring out what I want to get.

Thanks for your support.

5. mherman2

Thanks DaltonDavid. Just sharing my experience and thoughts and I can see there are two camps of people which is fine with me. All that these continuation Shelby's do is add to the history and marketability of Shelby cars. I have already been contacted by others wanting to buy the car and I just brokered my deal 2 months ago and my deal was 2nd hand itself.

I respect everyone's views and was just sharing my experience.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  6. Charley

7. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Great pictures Charley! Hopefully they will bring a memory back to those who see them.:thumbup:

8. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

They (Johnny Lightning) made a Red Stripe one with white tires and Blue Stripe one with black tires.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  9. Charley

I spoke to Bobby Pierce the other day. He bought the Super Snake in 1970 for 1800.00 from a kid that needed money. He autocrossed it and showed it for many years. He didn't realize he had anything special till about 1974 or 5 when he sent the info to Rick Kopec at SAAC. I think Bobby owned it for about 20 years. Thanks Bobby for taking good care of it.