Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Edward66GT350, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Re: 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake pix needed

The registry has a pic of it with Magstar wheels. They weren't on the car when I got it. There were 10 spokes on it in the 1967 video. Here is a pic with antenna on right fender.

Attached Files:

2. Charley

Boss302.. I would love to have copies of that stuff . I have been meaning to call Bobby but have not done it yet.

3. 67Bugzaper

67Bugzaper Active Member

Mherman2,

There is no need to post the restoration of a continuation car. What is the point. There is only one true 67 Super Snake and it should be left that way. It's like a piece of art, why would you wanted to copy something so rare. I don't get it.

Paul

4. Boss3025speed

Boss3025speed Member

Hello Charley. Bobby and David Fershtand usually go to our car shows in Feb and March. I dont know where you live now. If you can, maybe you can go to one of the shows in the Dallas area. -Thx. Boss3025speed

5. GT350N4

GT350N4 Active Member

My Classic Car show did a real nice piece on the Super Snake several years ago. I think the owner at the time also owned an original Comp Cobra. That car is quite the beast! I would assume that this show is still available on VHS and DVD. You can check on their website. You're a lucky man Charlie! :thumbsup:

6. 67Bugzaper

67Bugzaper Active Member

7. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Easy Paul. The GT500E cars are obviously not copies of the original Super Snake. I know where you're coming from but there are pleny of people with a difference of opinion. That's why Unique Performance has such a long wait list. I would like to see pictures of the process those cars go through. I've been to their shop as well as seen the "Rides" on The Discovery Channel. But I am interested in seeing any restoration. Anyway, mherman2, just post them in a different thread. I'm sure plenty of people would like to see some of the work that goes into those cars.
    Randall

8. 67Bugzaper

67Bugzaper Active Member

Randall,

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like to go back and change things, like the end to a good movie.

The 1967 Shelby was designed and built that way for a reason. And, there was only one Super Snake for a reason. I wouldn't have an issue if you created a Super Snake out of the New Shelby but to go back and change a car that was designed an built the way it was, in my opinion, just shouldn't happen, even if it is an Eleanor version. Can you imagine if someone took an original Rembrandt and decided to do some touch ups because they thought it would look better. Or worse yet, make 75 copies of the Rembrandt, change the background colors and hair colors and then sell them as Rembrandts.

I understand you are just protecting your interests but I don't think it is right. It can't be right!

Paul

9. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

The argument will always be here as long as these cars exist. on another thread discussing this particular Convertible in the Making, I brought up the point that these are not original SHELBY cars. Rather they are to be looked at as "Continuation Series" Cars built with the full Input, Review and approval of Carroll Shelby himeself. In 1967, He did not assemble these Cars himself. He merely approved designs submitted to him by several engineers he had chosen to work with. Fast forward to today and he is doing it all over again. while some people may Never consider these cars as TRUE Shelby's, I disagree. They are Shelby Cars. They are just not Original 1960's Era Shelby Mustangs. given the choice of which one I would want to take a 1000 mile trip in, Give me one of these new Fangled versions. Mucho Horsepower, Better Braking, Far superior Suspension, and on and on. another point I made before and I will bring it up again. There was a Time when many SHELBY Purists Scoffed at 1968-70 Shelby Mustangs as they were actually produced by FORD at the AO SMITH Plant in Livonia Michigan. But as Time has marched by, some of these particular Cars are amongst the Highest Value Shelby's on the Market today. I understand and respect the Purists view of these "NEW" Shelby Mustangs. But in the same vein, you need to show some Respect to a guy who is all excited about his New Car he has on order. He could have Bought a New Vette or worse! This site is here for us all to help each other get to understand these Cars better. Make some friends along the way. and give support to each other when needed. Have a Merry Christmas.

10. cobra427

cobra427 Well-Known Member

I saw your car in Waco Tx at a car show. I think I have pics of it But I remenber it well. I don't remenber the year maybe late 70's or early 80's.

11. Charley

Owning the Super Snake I have had mixed feelings about the new Unique cars using the Super Snake name. It kinda takes away from my car having others being called the same thing..But then again, how many here had known of my car before these discussions came up ? The new cars by Unique will probably out perform most of the orig cars because of the updates and I personally believe they will become collectable because they look cool, go fast and have the Shelby name attached to them. Our cars are collectable because there are not enough to go around. Now there are more. Some I like and some I don't like..

12. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

Hi Charley

Like the movie of you car for the tire test, I will have to find my magazine
    with your car on the cover for the tire test and check it out .

Mike

13. Charley

I have a copy of Autoweek. I think August 67 and it is on the cover titled "Fast tire test". Is that the one you are thinking of ?

14. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Charley----Do you have this article?
    Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Charley

No I don't have that issue. Now I have something else to look for on Ebay.

16. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Charley----I don't have it either, somebody sent me that scan years ago when I was looking for the car. If I run into it I'll let you know.
    Frank

17. Charley

testing my autoweek scan.

Attached Files:

18. Charley

also a few pics from the day of the tire test.

Attached Files:

19. Charley

more

Attached Files:

20. Kickstand

Kickstand Well-Known Member

Those pictures are great. It must be awesome to have a car with so much history