Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Running Production Changes

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rsimkins, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

There appears to be an early GT500 air cleaner assembly on Ebay, item 180344811344. Some interesting pictures to go along with it.

Bob, you looked at this, what are your conclusions?

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Roy, this is what I wrote on the SAAC site.- Because of 3 things I don't believe it was used on a car from the factory. #1 no PCV provision which would had to be on all early aircleaner base's . All of the die cast bases still had the pcv elbow so a earlier version would have it too. From the early photogaphs #0100 had the PCV hose run to the base so i don't think it would be engineered to be eliminated and then re introduced for the die cast version which most certainly had it. On the much later VIN cars that routed the PCV to the intake - I have seen the elbow plugged with a rubber cap or a steel plug like a freeze plug where the elbow would be. #2 The ribs in a sand cast base. No ribs were needed in the thicker sand cast base otherwise this production method would have been used on the multitude of duel four intakes on various big car applications from 63 to 67. The ribs were used on the thinner die cast base for strength reinforcement. #3 The engineering number stamping seemed a little strange . It would seem that the number would have been incorporated in the mold if needed. It is strange that the engineering number was not used on any of the multitude of non ribbed sand cast bases duel four used in prior years. It was pointed out to me by a observant Kenny B. that the stamped numbers appear individually number stamped and a single unit stamped would have made more production sense. Any one of these items would make me leary of it ever being a base used in assemblyline production. All three discussed issues lead me to the opinion that the base, wether genuine prototype or early repro was not used in assemblyline production. Bob

3. Josburke

Josburke New Member

For what it's worth I have 67 GT 350 serial #1786 and although a previous owner started (briefly) a restoration many years ago it still has the majority of it's original configuration.....i.e.. it still has it's original exhaust intact....interior is intact but exterior primed (has been for at least 10 years)...has 41K miles on it....rode hard and put up wet and poorly maintained...(meaning the original exhaust)... It no longer has it's original 289 K.......but yet retains the vast majority (if not all less the hi-po block and heads) of the Shelby specific parts including the Shelby intake, 715 carb, air cleaner, the factory a/c stuff.and has a Cobra T-Pan (I assume not original to this car). What I do know other than the Vin info identifying it as a 1967 GT 350, 4 speed, Wimb. White, factory air car is that it has the curved gas cap as expected, inboard lights with chrome rings, the steering wheel has the curved black areas, it has functional brake scoops, ...the underdash gauge pod is still there too......BTW it was a hubcap car but now sports repro 10 spokes.... and, yes, it gets driven as often as possible.....I have been somewhat out of the car loop for some time.....kids, etc..... but I'm enjoying my cars again.......The 67 GT 350 and my 70 Boss 302

thanks for all this terrific information..
    Joe Burke

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to all,
    Just remembered another change and it should be added.The exhaust tips were welded (2 piece)on some cars,and 1 piece on other cars.No idea if there is any pattern,and if memory serves some even had a shelby part number stamped in them...still trying to confirm this and put it in some type of time frame if possible.
    Regards P.D.:thumbup:

5. Bob Gaines

We already got that one earlier in the list. To reply on the part number question I have both kinds and have seen numerous in the field and have not seen any engineering numbers. You might be thinking of 68 GT500 and GT350 exhaust tips with the engineering number stamped in. Bob

6. Bob Gaines

Here is a early late Ford production change. The seat tracks . The early cars had a slide in plate that fit around the stud and under the track. this was seen on 65 and 66 Shelby's/Mustangs as well. The later cars had a plate made into the track which eliminated the slid in piece. Bob

7. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

The 2 piece ( welded ) exhaust tip part number is: S7MS5232AD

It is stamped on the small piece of pipe.

Seems the y were used at least thru half of the production run. Both
    of my '67 GT 350's, #1111 and #1688 had them.

8. Bob Gaines

A Shelby production change on the head light buckets . The inboard cars got the large rubber grommet on all four buckets but the outboard cars it seems got the large rubber grommet on the fender buckets but the high beam buckets on a outboard car used the small hole already there and used the same smaller rubber grommet that was used in the firewall for the oil tube and amp gauge harness. Bob

9. Bob Gaines

That got by me. Can you post a picture? I would like to see exactly were that is on the smaller pipe. Thanks . Bob

10. patty.dilabio

Hi again,
    the car that had the part number in the small pipe section of the tip that I judged was 2621 which had some history behind it....yet had what appeared to be the original exhaust system.The owner was Mike Dodge and he was in Colorado last I heard...maybe someone can post a picture..I have never been a total 68 fan,and depend on P.D. to answer all the questions on their behalf.
    Maybe this opens up another ???
    Regards P.D.

11. Mack Darr

Mack Darr New Member

I am the third owner of 3062( i know first two very well ,second owner bought car sept 1968) car has A code in ford vin. marti report shows it should be a K but in the ford code numbers marti uses states A. Dave Mathews states that for three days at the ford plant an A was used instead of the K. There is several 500,s stamped with a K. My taillight panel ribit type and the alum trim does not have the screws showing (it is the early type) Car was ordered with ten spokes and it came with five(spare, which still has the speedway 350 tire and has only been used onces.) The top loader has the last four digets of the ford vin stamped on it. All glass hood and trunk, now has 83000 miles.

12. Bob Gaines

FYI I have been working with Scott Fuller to make both early and late versions of the 67 Shelby exhaust tips. I sent him a early 2 piece example with the S7MS stamp and a later one piece version. He should have both styles for sale in the next few months. Bob

13. 2dragpac500converts

2dragpac500converts Well-Known Member

Thats great.

I just spent a couple of hours last week with my exhaust guy cutting up a branada set , shrinking down and adding another piece of pipe to fit the 1 3/4 inch tailpipe. Oh well maybe i can take the others off when his become available and sell to a kid with a honda.

14. rsimkins

Just a reminder to all who are interested in this thread, Randy has set aside a gallery just for us at http://www.shelbyforums.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=523. Please feel free to post your pictures of the fine details regarding production change differences here. Right now there is just one photo. Let's see what we can do to add to it. Thanks.

15. 2dragpac500converts

I decided to take tonight and read this entire thread. It is very informative. I was curious about something. The door brushed alum. Did the early cars just have a cut leading edge? What about trunk filler board? I have seen 67's with the style that were held down with 2 screwsand washers aswell as the kind that just laid there with part of the filler board folded down holding it in place.

chris

16. 2dragpac500converts

In addition to my previous post on the trunk filler board. After installing fender emblems today. I think the early cars had different style emblems. They are not raised. They are smooth.

What do you guys think?

chris

17. Bob Gaines

I believe we touched on the emblem subject before early inn this thread but in we didn't . The early car emblems have a smooth surface and different artwork when compared to the later car embossed emblems and artwork. Bob

18. patty.dilabio

Hi all,
    In addition to what Bob just added,it looks like the registry shows several cars were shipped without emblems,and I noticed in the Shelby buyers guide there is a picture of a car with the emblem in a different than the accepted "normal" location--it appears more centered and higher up.We are currently working on the source/date of this to try and figure out which car it is.To answer your original question,the emblems are different.they lack the embossing and have slightly different artwork.There was a set pictured on the saac forum within the last year,and it showed them side by side.One more of the many running changes that occured in 67 production.
    Are you going to the convention with 0018?
    looks like you are in the final stages of completion WOW!!
    Looking great!
    :cool: P.D.

19. 2dragpac500converts

Just to add to what was already touched on. The emblems artwork is not only different ,but the actual size is noticeably smaller on the early cars.
    On my dash emblem there are no studs it appeared to be glued to dash alum.

chris

Attached Files:

20. rsimkins

Chris,

Why don't you drop that photo into http://www.shelbyforums.com/gallery/...ages.php?c=523? Let's start adding to the 1967 Running Production Changes photo gallery! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010