Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Running Production Changes

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rsimkins, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

If it were my car I would have done exactly the same thing. It is my personal opinion that correcting a assemblyline mistake does not diminish the historical accuracy of the way the cars were meant to be. It is when things are overdone or things added that were not in the original specifications that it becomes a problem .

2. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a picture showing the tower in question? Maybe a picture showing both? Attached is a pic of #3000 tower area. I think its enforced?

Jim

Attached Files:

3. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Jim,

The reinforcement you are talking about is the extra bead of weld running around the inner portion of the shock tower. It looks like your car has that.

The reinforced shock tower bracket we are referring to is the one that the top of the shock bolts to. I'm sure someone has some pictures handy.

4. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

In respect to Bob's opinion, I personaly would have NOT changed any assembly line mistakes, but would rather document the mistake. Assembly line mistakes show the real human side of just what went on back then. In not doing so, we only end up trying to correct the real history and push more to the cookie cutter persona [yes,..that was the INTENT back then] but the true personality of the car, flaws and all, was the reality. A true survior car is the ultimate in how these cars were made, any alterations only take away, not add. [JMO].

5. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Agreed - but the challenge is often what was done at the assembly line and what was done by a prior owner (so many of these cars have been played with over the years and have already lost that "feel" and character IMHO.

If the car is a great untouched example - other owners and judges will appreciate the "odd detail" if the car becomes a restored car ... document, and get people to see those oddities before the restoration.

Just another look at the same thing ;)

6. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi and I think we have become a little side tracked.To get back to the base,Im wondering if we know when the nose panel started being riveted to the crossmember with large aluminium rivets (most cars use 4 rivets) some also rivet to the license bracket. P.D.

7. hamiltoncox

hamiltoncox Member

More questions...I was looking at tail-light bezels and note that some have interior fins and some do not. What is up with that?

8. patty.dilabio

Hi to hamilton and all:The taillamp frame changed a few times during production.The first stlye used studs,and had no shelf or fin as you are describing.This allowed the frame to move around and it was time/labor intensive to assemble with 12 studs in the 2 frames.The panels also were stud mounted with 4 studs bonded into a curved block that matched the concave metal panel.Two were on either side of the gas filler pipe,and the other two were near the outside edges of the panel.Most cars you see with this type have some warping evident-the cougar taillamps are heavy,and the fiberglass eventually felt the strain.The panel was changed by adding a lip along the top edge and riveting it in place,the bezels also gained a lip,and a casting number.Another change allowed the bezels to be assembeled much quicker by drilling holes through the trim-creating a new problem-fractures around the bore.The other problem was sealing out the exhaust fumes-a frequent customer complaint.It is a very important step when assembeling this section of the car to insure no leaks.Hard to imagine Shelby employees doing this,they were going 100mph to get cars completed and shipped.Hope this helps answer your question. P.D.:blink:

9. patty.dilabio

Hi again! Just a quick correction to the last post.There are 8 studs per frame so the number 12 should be for the taillamp body(s) there are 16 studs in total. sorry! they also use an eccentric washer on each stud.Again my apologies...:rolleyes:

10. Bob Gaines

It has been awhile since some of us have read this thread . I would respectfully suggest that everyone read the list as it is posted today . I am reading alot of recent posts in regards to items that are already covered and are already on the list . http://www.s-techent.com/1967_Running_Production_Changes.htm

A couple of FORD production changes I have noticed . The passenger side vent can has a metal crimped end control cable on earlier cars and plastic on later cars. Still a Ford change but on the Shelby GT500 unique big bearing clutch fork the early version has a wire clip and later has a tongue type clip like used in 68 on. The GT350 clutch fork has the same change over. Another change is the plating on the of the windshield washer nozzle on late production Shelby's which changed to the gun bluing look (cadmium black I think)like what is commonly seen on 68's .

I was looking at a old Feb 1967 issue of Car and driver and was reminded of another Ford production change. In the picture of a GT500 engine compartment you can see a zinc silver colored (shows white in the BW pic) battery hold down hooks (j bolts) which were used early in production.The assembly line battery is cool too. The transition to a less expensive zinc Phosphate finish on the bolts were used later on. I have only seen these on very early cars . The picture may be of 67 GT 500 # 100 . I recently purchased a silver j bolt in the Ford box from John Barnes of Shelby literature notoriety so it must have been serviced that way for a while also.

The change over to the dark plating was around 4/4/67 according to the Master parts book . I have seen the gold Zinc dichromate mostly before then.

KH front brake calipers had a change in 67 early production. The bolts holding the calipers to the cast iron spindle bracket change from a regular bolt head (info for another thread) to a style used later in production that had holes in the head so safety wire could be threaded through . Interestingly the assembly manual says a minimum of 5 twists on the safety wire ends. I believe it is 16 gauge . It is sometimes called mechanics wire. Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  11. rsimkins

I've never heard of safety wire coming in gauges. The stuff we use in aviation is MS20995C wire which, according to the specification, comes in .015, .020, .032, .041, .047 and .090 diameters and is made from 304 stainless steel. Other alloys and sizes are also available.

12. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello Bob,

Yes, that is car number 0100 in the Car and Driver article you reference. You stated "may be 67 GT500 #100". I am curious about this, do you think it is not 0100? Let me know about this please.

Thanks,
    Eric

13. Bob Gaines

Eric, you are reading more into the statement then was meant.
    I have assumed for a long time that the car in the picture was #100 but since I have not seen the VIN I can't honestly be 100% sure. Bob

I went to the local auto parts store today and the mechanics wire is in fact sold by gauge size. I use the word Safety wire because that is the purpose of it's use but is a generic term. Like Kleenex is used for all types of tissue paper when in fact it is the name of only one particular brand. The wire in question is used in automotive applications and is not stainless or for aviation so that may be the difference. I would use a galvanized wire which is a available alternative or the corresponding close stainless wire to prevent the flash rust that the bare steel wire will undoubtedly get quickly. Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  14. rsimkins

Interesting. Was the spool in fact marked with a gauge size? I guess I've dwelled in the aviation world way longer than the automotive.

15. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Here is a site that offers 14 ga, 16 ga, and 18 ga. in galvanized wire.

http://www.imperialinc.com/items.asp?item=0714990

However, I would still stay with stainless .

16. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I've used only the stainless steel ( military spec #'s ) safety wire in my 50 plus years of aviation. This is what the FAA requires. I use the aviation safety wire on my Shelby as well as safetying the knock-offs on my friends Cobra's wheels. Why would one want to use an inferior product?

17. Bob Gaines

Sometimes you have to use inferior products if you want to recreate the past. Unfortunately you can tell fairly easy if something is the superior stainless like in brake lines or in the stainless wire. I would always use the stainless for anything but a concours car. Bob

18. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

19. rsimkins

Joe,

Should this be considered a running production change on the part of Shelby? Were these tires sold under a different part number?

My guess is that this is an interesting production variation on the part of Goodyear and not truly a Shelby production change. I'm defining a running production change as a change that was initiated by Shelby or Ford to address a design deficiency, difficulty in the assembly process, appearance, or a parts shortage or availability. There may be other reasons but I think those are the major ones.

20. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

I'll go with the flow on this, Roy. It didn't seem to fit in the anomaly list but for lack of a better place, I wanted to at least capture it in this thread.