Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 proto type coupe Little Red

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Coralsnake, Aug 22, 2007.

1. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to all on this post.The best single source for info is from the California Special Registrar Paul Newitt.He was able to interview the main people from Ford that were involved with this car,and Fred Goodell who drove lil red as his demo.His memories are also in an interview in The Shelby American magazine.The car was constantly being modified,and always in need of rear tires.The picture in the last post is one of the best examples of how the car may have influenced the 68 shelby with things like bright trim on the nose,and wheel opening moldings.It was crushed,which is often the normal procedure for a car that was used for engineering-testing-and developement.Other cars escaped the crusher and have recently surfaced-please read the latest Shelby e merican on the saac website.for the most recently found fastback.Paul is currently working on a new book,which should be out this year.Check out the cal special web for all of that info,and sign up for the book.
    I still prefer fastbacks,and tease that coupes are for chickens.
    Now have you ever seen a 67 Shelby de Mexico coupe?

:confused: Regards P.D.

2. 67shelbygt500

67shelbygt500 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone
    Thanks to Everybody that has posted information and pictures on this car.
    Couple more questions however did it i guess have a a 428pi with twin superchargers or a 427 with twin superchargers?
    2. the crome moldings around the grill on the photo what do you thing they where off or where they specially cast(special peices of trime that where made just for that car?)
    3. im guessing it had the 67 deluxe interior and 67 shelby steering wheel.
    was the interior parchment or black?
    4.was it a 4 speed(which im guessing it was) or was it the c6 automatic?
    5. was the exterior colour candy apple red?
    Thanks everyone for your replies
    very intresting car.
    Thanks again
    Dave

3. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Curious about the cars being crushed..After all experiments are thru and the decision is made to crush it ..is any thing salvaged prior to crushing!! Would be a shame to smash a few fiberglass features the motor with whatever goodies and now we know of those little parts bringing big bucks for originality.. Steering wheels tach's wheels and tires etc. etc. Just never thought of what really gets crushed!!! Would be a real crime to smash all that good stuff.

4. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

A couple of more items:
    I've offered to pay for Lil' Reds Marti report to the SAAC registrar. No Go. I don't know why. I even offered to have him blank out the vin's just so I could see what the car came optioned with. A reply 2-3 years ago was "luxury interior". It had an automatic trans. Might I suggest probably upper & lower consoles with the leather interior from a Cougar? That is only my speculation.

As far as those not built on order comments. Ok, you have something, but really, not that many cars got built that far out of order.

Ford started fooling around with the cars styling. That is why the chrome around the grill showed up, along with the "Shelby" lettering on the deck lid.

And finally, a month or two back there was a "Green Hornet" thread over at the SAAC forums. One posting stated that: Lil Red has a technician assigned to convert it with 68 fiberglass.
    So, maybe Lil'red did get away....as a 68, just like the convertible.

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I am not sure where it would have went. I think we can rule out the Green Hornet. It was the only coupe styled as 1968. Plus it has a 1968 build sheet.

6. brbeardm

brbeardm Member

Does anyone know about the article that Charles Fox did on the car in 67?

Shelby tested the car’s appeal to the public by displaying it at the 1967 Los Angeles Auto Show, where it met with enthusiastic reviews. It also saw regular use by friends like Bill Cosby, and the Shelby-friendly automotive press, most notably Charles Fox, who reviewed “Little Red” in the pages of Car and Driver. It was on hand again for the 1968 Shelby & Ford Performance Dealer show at Riverside Raceway.

7. Anton Ólafsson

Anton Ólafsson Member

#433 67 GT-500 was also aused as a supercharger prototype car at Shelby American.

Do anyone have pics of him.

8. gjs14

gjs14 Member

not to jack Little Red's thread but is there any info or pic of the 67/68 shelby
    de mexico cars?

[​IMG]

Thanks

9. roddster

I recall seeing one picture of a 67 Shelby deMexico, I believe it was in the 1997 registry. White car, no stripes, 67 Shelby nose and side scoops. Fastbacks were not allowed to be sold in Mexico.

10. gjs14

gjs14 Member

did the 67 Shelby deMexico cars have the 1967 shelby tail lights?

[​IMG]

11. gjs14

gjs14 Member

also found this pic.

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

12. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I believe that red car is a continuation ( read fake ) Shelby. It was built in 2005 by a company in PA under license from Shelby. The cars are not original Shelbys built between 1965-1970 and carry the CSS side stripes.

13. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

I believe the guy in the picture is Pete Disher :lmao:

14. gjs14

gjs14 Member

I love the look of the 67 mustang coupe shelby De Mexico:wub:

I have a 67 coupe just waiting for me to do somthing in my garage, think I will do a shelby De Mexico clone......but it will have a restomod look, rocking vintage wheel works v50 17x8 and 17x9.5

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup:

any pic's of a 67/68 shelby De Mexico will help

15. roddster

10/20/2010:
    A couple of months ago there was an undate relating to Lil'Red at the SAACforum, in the GT/CS area. Here are some of the details, go read it for more.

1) regular Mustang steering wheel
    2) Ray Geddes, the S/A engineer, was not a big fan of multiple carburetion, so, L/R had a single 4BBL on it. Other then when they where experimenting with engines.
    3) NO rollbar, hence no "Y" shoulder belts

16. gjs14

gjs14 Member

did the shelby De Mexico cars have a rollbar or the Y shoulder belts?

17. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

I have a big high-res monitor, and it's clearly a V belt.