Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 proto type coupe Little Red

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Coralsnake, Aug 22, 2007.

1. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Ah, that 67 Convertible was never labeled a "prototype" until the Volo museum got a hold of it...how is that possible??

The story on that one is simple enough. It was stolen in L.A., and recovered in enough time to be the 68 styling model.

Ford loved the real Lil'red so much, it spent a lot of time in Dearborn, hence the different photo features over the little time it was around.

3. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

I saw the car for sale on ebay about 6 months ago. It was the real deal and the seller had all kinds of docs to prove it. I watched it till the end and it only got up to 80k and didnt meet the reserve. If I recall it was from a private collection.
    Jim

4. 67shelbygt500

67shelbygt500 Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone
    Hope all are well
    I am %100 sure this has been mentioned before however i spent ages searching for information and pictures on this car and just cant find any.:huh:
    I was just woundering if any one can post some photos of this car then i would be very thankful. Also if anyone can give me a little information on this car it would also be very grateful.
    Thank you in advance for reading this thread
    Thanks again
    Dave:D

5. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

6. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

That's it! I have searched for engine pictures and reportedly there is one. Paul Newitt, from the California Special website, has it. he is going to publish it in his new book. As you probably know, the car was a big block supercharger car. I am to the point where I would probably pay for a good picture of this car's engine (or one of the other bb sc cars)

:dance:

7. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I was going to Up Load a Photo of the Engine but it keeps saying "Failed".

8. mherman2

Email it to me at mike.Herman@gmail.com and I will post a link to it. File size may be too big for the site.

9. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

When I get home after Work I will. It is a Black & White (small photo). Just of the Engine Compartment but it does show the tops of the Fenders. It is a Big Block with 2 4V Carbs and Twin Super chargers. I thought it might be of the 1967 Super Snake but the SS is White and the Fenders on this car are Dark.

David.

10. roddster

I'd like to point out that, since Lil' Red was #0131, the rear tail light panel, at first, was likely red, and that it probably was built with the 67 deck lid emblems, not the letters like a 68 had, and finally, very likely had the chrome eye brows over the tail pipe tips.

Also, those "bradbarnett" photos are obviously later photos. Notice the outboard headlights, which where unlikely with an early vin car, and the addition of chrome around the grill. But I see the chrome eyebrows over the tail pipe tips.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  11. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Interesting observation..assuming 0131 was actually assembled early. Just because of the VIN being early does not mean finished early. Unless someone has this info-- Prototypes ---I think is the big word here ..They could be earlier built or later but the VIN may have already been assigned.

12. Coralsnake

Agreed, the car was most likely around for a while and altered several times. The 1967 prototype that is nin the Shelby E-Merican is a good example. The car was disguised as 1968, but was built in late 1966.

13. mherman2

14. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Look at the Cobra Automotive sticker in between the two blowers on the bracket. Bob

15. mherman2

If nothing else it helps Pete on his build of the 68 engineering car he is restoring with twin superchargers.

Mystery solved, see Craig Conley's email below:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  16. Coralsnake

The picture of that motor in mockup is on my website.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/paxton

The car has several features that indicate it's not a vintage picture. The Cobra Automotive badge being the biggest give away.

:noway:

17. wcardoc

wcardoc Member

Actually the car Pete is restoring for me will only have one Paxton supercharger. That is unless Pete finds other engineering documentation showing it was tested with Twins.

Chuck

18. roddster

Ah, "prototype", was the name given to it by the Volo auto museum I believe. Unless I see the vin plate that states that. And, the "Convertible" was #0139. What, 8 cars after Lil'red.....maybe.

19. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Here is another picture. The chrome trim around the grill opening is interesting. It seems to me I had heard that this car had been modified a few time during its stint as a prototype.

[​IMG]