Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Power Steering pulley's

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Dave Kelly, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly Active Member

Wondering if someone coulkd help on 67 GT-500 pwer steering pulleys. I know the correct one is the C7AZ-3A733-B "7AB" but I see alot more of C5AZ-3A733-G "AG" pulleys for sale on e-bay. Ford MPC say's that they are both 4 5/8" diameter by 7/16 sheeve width. Is this correct and could an AG pulley work for all intents and purposes? What are the differences?

2. Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly Active Member

Re: 67 Power Steering pulley's

Anyone??

3. Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly Active Member

Re: 67 Power Steering pulley's

Ok....could maybe someone please measure the diameter of their "7AB" power steering pump pulley. My 1975 version of the MPC says it should be 4 5/8".

4. Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly Active Member

I just compared the "AG" and the "7AB" pulleys and the "7AB" is larger and measures 5 7/16" diameter. This pulley has and engineering number C7AR-3D673-B and crosses to part number C7AZ-3A733-B. The Ford Parts book then identify it with a casting of "7AB". The smaller "AG" pulley was used on the C7OR-3A674-A PS pump commonly found on the 390 engine and as far as I can determine would probably work OK but would be incorrect technically for 67 GT-500's. Do we have consensus from the judges?

5. 67GT500 427 SO

67GT500 427 SO Member

I have a very early 1967 GT500. An "expert" Shelby judge tells me that ALL 1967 500's without AC came with the 7AB power steering pulley. I have been attempting to locate a 7AB. Once again, the experts are wrong. I bought my car in 1981 from the orginal owner. The car hasn't been registered since 1978. The pulley which resides on my 500 is an AD. The original owner says it was never serviced by Ford post him taking delivery new. It's 5 7/16" in diameter with a 7/16 Sheeve. C5AZ-3A733-D. Just a heads up for those of you struggling with finding a 7AB. I have seen one offered for sale from a Shelby parts dealer in NC for 595.00 on Ebay. It's not an orginal. The dish isn't correct for a Ford pulley. It's stamped 7AB as well. It might be a reproduction, however the Ebay listing states it's "remanufactured".
    Any input is more than welcome.

6. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I am not sure who gave you the 7AB pulley information but I agree with them. I posted a Shelby add and delete sheet that was used by Ford to document the changes from a regular Mustang to a Shelby unit on the Ford line. It is similar to a build sheet . It is found in many 67 Shelby's under the carpet. The engineering number specified in the Ford document crosses over to the Ford Master Parts Catalog part number . That part number cross over to the identification marking on the pulley as 7AB for a non A/C application. Now with that proof who has MORE credability? Your original owners possible faulty memory or Ford Factory documents and the observations of numerous 67 GT500 owners some of which are Shelby judges:rolleyes: That number is not just on one add+delete sheet but many. I agree that the price Bill Herendon is asking for the pulley seems like a lot but find another one? If you can't don't begrudge him for trying to get all he can out of his. It is a business for him and not charity. It sounds like just because you are finding it hard to find the correct pulley you want to justify your substitution of the other to the world :laf: . and then making some kind of sarcastic remark about Concours judges being once again wrong (which they can be) . I take that as a little insulting because I am a concours judge as well. Just so you know it is volunteer work. I would do a little more research next time before condemning the people just because they don't say what you want to hear. They may be wrong sometimes but how often are they right;)

Attached Files:

7. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Its a wonderful relief to start the day knowing I could be wrong. That way I don't have to face the pressure of going through the day perfect. +1 to Bob's comments. :thumbup:

8. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

I bought my late '67 Shelby GT 500 Non A/C car in 1976 from the third owner who was also the mechanic for the cars second owner. I called him and he told me he was sure the power steering pump was never touched. I know I never changed it. It's marked 7AB.

9. 67GT500 427 SO

67GT500 427 SO Member

Bob:
    The question was never about if they were used, it's about what some may have slid through with. The AD is what the car was delivered with. I purchased the car from my neighbor. He is sharp as a tack, a former military officer like me. He was adamant post our conversation last week. I have no doubt it was delivered with the AD. The personal attacks weren't particularly professional, so I won't address them here. I find it odd that you brough up Herndon though.
    The pulley that is being sold on Ebay is a FAKE. I confirmed this via the Registrar and a Shelby Restoration shop that has been doing them for over 30 years. I sent them pictures from the listing and from an original 7AB I am in posession of. I don't deal in delusion, I'm not a liberal. I look at hard fact. This time it doesn't match the opinion of the judge(s), so be it.

10. Bob Gaines

It is ironic that you complain about a dishonorable seller and then turn around and will change and twist statements to fit your purpose in a dishonorable way. You are as bad as the person you protest about but in a different way. The question you posed is what is supposed to be on the cars I posted Ford proof and YOU posted past owner here say. As far as the authenticity aspect is concern I did not address that in the post. WHO DO YOU THINK THE REGISTRAR EMAILED TO VERIFY THE PULLEY PICTURE COMPARISON YOU SENT HIM. You twisted the words again . This time Dave Mathews. He cc'd a copy of his reply to you, so I know what he said . I will not post the copy of his Email since it is not mine to post however I challenge you to post what Dave Mathews sent you :whistle: . In short he said he read the posts here (which I copied the address for him) and can see that I was not addressing the authenticity as you said but the application instead. As far as Billy Herndon is concerned I was making general statements that apply to all retail sellers. I do not condone misrepresentation of descriptions as my opinions on this very subject (and seller it seems) indicate many times as posted on the SAAC forum . As far as personal attack I will give it back the way it is given . If you don't like it don't invoke it.

11. Bob Gaines

A quote from reply #5 - " I have a very early 1967 GT500. An "expert" Shelby judge tells me that ALL 1967 500's without AC came with the 7AB power steering pulley. I have been attempting to locate a 7AB. Once again, the experts are wrong. I bought my car in 1981 from the orginal owner. The car hasn't been registered since 1978. The pulley which resides on my 500 is an AD. The original owner says it was never serviced by Ford post him taking delivery new." - That reads like some one wanting to know about correct application to me .

12. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Dear gt500 427 SO: Bob G is one of the top SAAC judges, and a gold card MCA judge, and, probably the only other person who knows more about 67 Shelbys is GOD. You might want to stand down........

13. 67GT500 427 SO

67GT500 427 SO Member

Bob:
    My intentions were never dishonorable,nor were any of my actions. However I grow tired of the never ending line of unscrupulous sellers who prey on anyone that is working with a Shelby. The price triples when you tell them the application. I didn't twist anything, however the Registrar was sent what I did with the intention of protecting others who may be restoring a vehicle and lack the knowledge of a vehicle and certain items. I already knew the pulley didn't match any of the 300+ vehicles I have seen over the years, however I decided to let the Registrar confirm what I knew from observation. I also didn't mention who the seller was. I bought the 7AB long ago based on the information at provided me at the Ford show at Knott's Berry Farm. I will not post either of the emails from Mr. Matthews. It's a breech of professional etiquette to do so without given permission, as are your personal attacks. This forum should be about helping others and protecting the community from those who attempt to defraud others. As usual, I see no good deed goes unpunished.

14. 67GT500 427 SO

67GT500 427 SO Member

Rodster:
    I know your intentions were well, but ol' Bob here has no issue berating anyone he is in disagreement with. Let him have his moment. It makes those with a Napoleon complex feel better. I didn't come here to stir the pot. I need help too, hence my reason for joining to start with. Perhaps my fault here is combining issues.
    On a positive note, thank you for the response on my white interior question. It seems the white supplied by TMI is more on the yellow antique side. It doesn't seem to be the same white. It's not parchment either. The white looks more on the white-white side under the lower fiberglass trim.

15. Bob Gaines

I too am tired of the unscrupulous sellers. Unlike your Jan 2012 sign up date and this being only one of 6 total posts that you have, I have been on this and other forums for a number of years helping with information with the intent to help others to make informed decisions. As many of us know who have been working with these cars for years have learned, It is not best to divulge the Shelby application when asking about a price. The perceived value of a part for a 6cyl Mustang is less then that of a part for a 100,000.00 Shelby even if it is the same part. If you say it is for a Shelby there is a good chance the part will be marked up if not premarked. That is the retail mentality. It seems you are frustrated with this concept but "that's just the way it is" (you can ask around who's quote that is) .I post my name as a forum avatar because I want to take responsibility for my comments which are sometimes considered controversial but what I believe. Now you are all about etiquette and protocol when I challenge you to back up your statements but it was all too easy before to disrespect concours judges in your first post with no basis in fact as I proved with paperwork. If your intentions are honorable then why don't you post your name after your especially provocative posts on this thread? Since I don't get paid and volunteer my forum activity(not asking:laf: ) and my concours judging duties for SAAC,MCA, or Team Shelby I guess technically I am not a professional in that capacity so that will allow me the continued freedom to defend myself in your eyes ;). As far as personal attack I will give it back the way it is given . If you don't like it don't invoke it.