Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Exhaust Cut Out Trim

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Texas Swede, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Anybody know when Shelby stopped using the trim around the
    cut outs for the exhaust pipes. My car # 1317 had them when
    I bought the car in 1977. It's another interesting detail about
    the 67 Shelbys. Also, did Shelby use the 65-66 GT trim and
    cut it off?
    Thanks,
    Texas Swede

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Re: 67 Exhaust Cut Out Trim

It has been my observation that the trim was left off, er, ah, the GT valence not requiring the trim was somewhere in the middle 800's. Strange, I saw it this spring where a car in the 860's had the chrome trim, and a car in the 840's did not.
    But, anything can hapen.
    Yes, it is a sawed off 65/66 GT outlet chrome.
    AND; look up a posting about this, seems some cars have some kind of flattened (NOT 65/66 GT outlet chrome) aluminum piece. I don't recall what the consensus was on that style.

3. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I bought #1317 in June of 1977 in Huntington Beach, CA, i.e. the car was 10 years old. No sheetmetal seems to have never been replaced or reworked.
    The car had the cut outs and holes for the trim, but the trim was missing.
    Bought two 65/66 trim rings and cut them off. The treaded pins lined
    up perfectly with the holes. My car was made in Jan.1967
    at Ford and I don't believe it ever had a 67 GT rear valance with it's
    cut outs. Did any Shelby get delivered without any cut outs, i.e. no trim
    type and no GT valance cut outs? If not I am quite sure #1317
    had the trim originally as the rear valance appears to have never been replaced.
    Texas Swede

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Bo,your car must be one of the last ones to use the cut out rear valance. The latest ones I have seen still using the trim have been in the 1200's. The other cut out trim that was used besides the modified mustang GT trim was from a early 67 cougar. I think Jan 67 was when the later style valance became available on the regular Mustang line.

5. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

My car #0031 has the flat aluminum type trim rings. They look just like the ones on the 67 Shelby brochure. Car was completed on Oct 26/66. There is a good shot of the Lime Green car with a girl kneeling beside it.

Randy
    _______
    67 Gt350 #0031
    70 Boss 302 Grabber Green project

6. Bob Gaines

#0001 had the modified mustang piece used for the cut out. I have noticed that the different trim pieces were used haphazardly back and forth during the time they were used on the cars.

7. 69iger

69iger Member

Hi Texas Swede,

my one has the cut outs too (#01323), but trim rings are missing. It looks like that it was original.
    Organized already some from a GT66, will them put on if i have time to do. Looks like they will fit.

69iger

8. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

My car,#910 has the cut outs also.The trim rings are also missing on it but it does have the holes for the pins.My car was built near the end of January at Ford.My car has original paint and still has the tie down sticker on the valance that goes behind the lisence plate so I am almost positive my car came with the rough cut outs.
    I have two NOS 65-66 trim rings I was going to cut and use.Does anyone know if these are suppose to hang down past the rear valance some or are they suppose to be flush?

9. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to 67 fans.The flat trim rings used are from a Gurney cougar.They are not made out of aluminium,they are die cast and were chrome plated.The reason they are often missing is easy,the way they were held on wasn't enough to keep them on.The retainers are just push on style-often reffered to as pal nuts.This was yet another cost saving item that was changed during the production year,that saved both time and money.If there is enough interest in them maybe we should have some made.
    And to answer the question which ever type you use they should be flush with the bottom of the valence.Hope this helps

10. rcgt350

Can someone guide me as to posting some pics here?

Randy
    ________
    67 Gt350 #0031
    70 Boss 302 Grabber Green project

11. cobreen

cobreen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  12. firestanggt

firestanggt Well-Known Member

when you create a post there is a little paperclip icon in the top row of the tool bar, just to the right of the smiley face.
    Just click on that, click the browse box, pic the pictures you want to attach and click upload. Then just submit your post like usual.

ope that helps

13. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

My car is #738 and has the die cast chrome flat rings.

14. rcgt350

These are the cast flat trim rings on my car #0031. Randy

Attached Files:

15. wood27man

wood27man Member

I had a '67 GT500 and it had the cut-out valance. I had heard that you could simply cut the GT exhaust rings also, but on initial fitting, it was clear that the posts on the GT chrome rings did not come close to lining up with the holes in the valance and therefore were not correct. In digging some more in the parts boxes that came with the car, I found the trim, they are cast and I believe very specific to the early GT500s. Who knows what all Shelby did day-to-day on the assembly line, but the GT chrome rings were incorrect for my car.

16. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Woodman, your car problaby has those "Cougar" cast ones which where also used. Stay tuned, we're trying to determine all the production differences in the 67 production year.

17. wood27man

wood27man Member

Randy, sorry for the slow reply, hopefully three pictures will come up of the cast trim ring from my '67 GT500 (#986). Note in the third picture, there is a slight "bow" to the trim piece, it is not flat. Jeff

Attached Files:

18. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Did you guys see this? Looks like a special part to me.

Ebay Item number: 190181794702

19. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to all this thread.Great pictures of the correct cougar trim!! this is the type that belongs on any car built with a plain rear valence.And as we are finding as the production changes are being compiled...most of this changed by date,not by car number.There is an old how to article in the marque on how to cut and modify 65-66 aluminium trim to fit,and this is where they started appearing,the proof of this is the cars that are known original paint cars and the 65-66 trim will not line up with the original holes in the valence.An original valence will also have evidence of the cut edge with a very slight lined pattern from the snips used to do the job.The 3 holes were most likely done with a whitney punch..not a drill.This was quick and simple,but not as cheap as deleting it,which is what they did when the cutout style valence was used.I am still wishing for a digital camera from santa..:) :)

20. Bob Gaines

I respectfully would disagree with you on the rear trim piece.At this point I don't think it was one way or the other. I believe that the modified 66 Mustang GT piece was used first and then SA discovered the other Cougar trim would work at which point there was less labor involved so the Cougar piece was used. I have also observed many original rear valances that have showed evidence that the Mustang GT piece was used be sides the Cougar piece. I would like to think it was only one way but evidence kept poping up to convinced me otherwise. A similar substitution part was the gray junction block used on early cars had to be modified before being installed on a Shelby and then the already existing part C5VE junction block was substituted once it was found it could be used without modification.There are other examples on the 67Shelby of build methods being changed or modified to make the build go faster or to improve the part. I think the point could be argued ether way on the rear valance trim. I think the best thing to do is keep a open mind until more empirical evidence points to the whole story. I would give the benefit of the doubt in the case of a early build car.