Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 Ford Shelby Cobra GT350 (1965 Carryover) question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by a1000cars, Oct 23, 2009.

1. a1000cars

a1000cars New Member

Hey all,
    This is my first post so bare with me! My grandfather purchased a 1966 Shelby Cobra GT350 back in the '60s. Its a carryover car from 1965. I believe its 57/252 (it might have been 52, i cant remember). It has all original parts, low mileage, and is in excellent to mint condition. I was just wondering, for my own knowledge, what a car like that would be worth. My uncle currently owns the car. I have always wondered what it is worth. Any ideas?

2. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forums!!
    This sort/type of question is often brought up,and it would apply to anything that is considered collectable,the condition and the documentation plus its history help contribute to the current value.An appraisal is the best way to determine this,and there are several people that are involved in vintage Shelbys.To be covered by most insurance companys it is a requirement....it also is subject to change and should be done every few years to stay current,and accurate.On the carry over 66 subject,they are considered 66 cars,and seem to keep pace with 66 values-not 65.Hope this site is helpful,and many of us would like to see the car.Has anyone ever considered entering a show with it?Did your Grandfather by it as a used car,and have any paperwork?Can you post pictures?
    Thanks for sharing P.D.:guitar:

3. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

I agree with PD, can you post some pics? As for the value, from what I have seen the carryovers seem to be listed at a slightly higher value than other comparable condition '66s, but I have no personal knowledge of what they actually sell for. I do know Hagertys Insurance states on their Cars That Matter website, the following

“For fastback: +30% for 1965 carry-over cars up to S/N 252”

As I said I have no personal knowledge on the validity of the above, just passing it along

Jay

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member