Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 Shelby GT 350 Restoration question ( Ray Brown Seat Belts what color ? )

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Ralphsinc, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Here another question for you guys.....on the 1965 GT350 Were the Ray Brown seat-belts, the leather portion, was it light brown or was it black in color.. Tony Banda sells the new ones in with black leather, but was not sure if the ones that came from Shelby were light brown... Also when installed what side did the leather side of the belt attach to, the door side of the car or to the middle ... I am sure there is some correct pattern on installation... Thanks for your help....Ralph

2. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

Hey Ralph, you're really getting into the details aren't you. I love it! There was a lot of variety in the original GT350 seat belts. A pretty good look at this topic can be found at the CarryoverGT350 site. Here's a link to the Unique Features page of that site: http://carryovergt350.com/index.php/unique-features/ . Scroll down near the bottom of the page for some pretty detailed info about seat belts along with pictures. Although the info there is geared toward the carryovers, it's pretty clear in the text as to which features were found on which of the 1965-66 cars. There were variations in the snap hooks, latch links, pad color, which side the pad attached to, mfr tags, etc.. Quite an interesting topic.

For your car I would recommend chrome hardware with a black pad and Ray Brown tags. The rest of the details won't matter on a clone. Just my opinion.

Steve

3. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Steve ..Thanks so much for the info on the belts...That site is a world of info...Great tip !!!......Yea this car is pretty special...It has all the correct markings and all the correct parts...It has the the original ray brown belts, but they are a little worn looking so I wanted to get new ones or get the less expensive copies and make them look right.....Thanks again Steve for your help.....Ralph

4. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Yes after looking at that site you recommended looks like the 65 GT350 had black color top leather and natural brown under side....What do you guys think ??.