Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 or 1966 GT350 with Rear Spoiler

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by markcruise, May 12, 2010.

1. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

I cannnot scan that photo as my scanner is down and out. Its not a very good picture of the spoiler because it does not show the complete back of that car. In fact it would be hard to notice if the car had not had Lemans strips. Photo was taken at the factory production race shop in 1966.

2. g350t

g350t Active Member

Here is a cropped photo of the 1966 GT350 with the spoiler at the factory. This proves at least that at least a couple of 1966 Shelby's had a spoiler installed, including 6S009. When, how and why a spoiler was installed is the big question. Hope this helps, Russ

Attached Files:

3. 65gtfastback

That is probably an early carry over car judjing by the wheels.

4. markcruise

markcruise Member

Thanks for posting this photo! I was fairly sure that Shelby did make one or more GT350's with rear spoilers. Unfortunately, we don't know what # car this is or why it has a spoiler on it. We don't even know why this car is even sitting at the plant in the middle of the Trans Am car...

Hopefully someone might be able to enlighten us and quite possibly there might be some other photos out there showing GT350's with factory spoilers.

I still think that Shelby GT350 is the first US production car to have a rear spoiler on it since I haven't seen any information to the contrary.

5. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Looks like I don't have the one I was referring to scanned and handy but here is a cropped shot with an early lid (from Berry Plastics) on the Mel Burns Shelby

Looking through some of the related stuff I have apparently allot of companies were doing the trunk spoiler thing in 65. Dearborn Steel did a fastback (shortened and sectioned) that toured with the Ford Caravan that sported a spoilered end caps and trunk lid. Then there were the three Grand Americans I mentioned earlier that have a couple of different styles on those cars including a one piece trunk lid and end cap assembly.

Notice that the trunk lid lacks the provision for a regular Mustang style trunk lock as mentioned in the earlier post

[​IMG]

6. markcruise

markcruise Member

Thanks for the photo! What did they do for the trunk locks?

7. markcruise

markcruise Member

Howard Pardee had responded to my spoiler question that was also on the SAAC Forum and he said that the 1965 Shelby GT350 #5S319 was used as a prototype for the 1966 Shelby and there isn't any question that it had a rear spoiler on it that was installed at Shelby American.

He also said that the new SAAC Registry will have a chapter that discusses the prototypes and will include a period photo of that car plus additional information about the other special features that were tried on 5S319.

However, I am still very hopeful that someone else may be able to come up with other photos showing 65 or 66 GT350's with a factory rear spoiler...

Thanks!

Mark

8. markcruise

markcruise Member

Hi Russ,

I would never have spotted the rear spoiler in this photo and even Howard Pardee mentioned that you had a great eye in his SAAC forum posting about this.

From what I have been able to gather to this point is that we know of one 1965 Shelby GT350 (1966 prototype) that came with a rear spoiler on it from the factory. Howard did say that he has another photo of this car and it will be in the new registry.

Does anyone else know of other photos or information about rear spoilers on 65 or 66 GT350's?

Mark Cruise

9. g350t

g350t Active Member

OK, Mark, Here is another photo of a spoiler, but the car (identified in the 1982 SAAC Registry as 5S247) is too early to be considered for your "smoking gun". This car's body appears to be highly modified, and the spoiler was probably added later. Russ

Attached Files:

10. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

11. markcruise

markcruise Member

Thanks Russ. this is a great photo showing what looks to be a spoiler from that time period... Do you know any of the history of 5S247? I am interested.

Mark

12. markcruise

markcruise Member

The spoiler looks quite nice... Thanks for including the photo. Does anyone else have any early photos that were possibly taken in 1965 - 1966?

13. steveshelbymustang

for those wondering about #319.. it will be at auction at Mecum Monterey in August..found this link
    http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0810-96543&entryRow=82

[​IMG]

14. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

15. steveshelbymustang

Roy
    Note the rear seat is not there..just the carpeted shelf ..the shelf does not have the spare tire cutout on the rear door..the latch cover is still in place.

16. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Steve,

The capeting threw me. I don't recall that either the '65 or the '66 package try had carpeting. However, if you look closely at the tray, you can see what looks to be ribs beneath the carpet which would make it a '66 style tray without the spare tire cutout. Anybody know what the prototype features of this car were supposed to be?

17. steveshelbymustang

Hey Roy
    Check this link for the Mecum auction car information
    http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0810-96543&entryRow=82

There is a list of the prototype items that's featured on this car.
    Not sure of the actual items originally installed that's mentioned but being a car Shelby modified as a prototype and then sold after 1967.. makes originality hard to authenticate. The restore shows painted cowl above export brace that should be white..a Hurst Shifter ??? A Mallory distributor??
    and to mention the side stripe is a 66 not 65 but who knows what came original there. Mentions over ride brackets and under ride bars??? Interesting car to say the least!!

18. 66prototype

66prototype New Member

Yes, I do have plenty of information about this 1965 Shelby GT350 used as a 1966 Prototype since it is our car.

The rear shelf (tray) is a carpeted 1966 shelf that even has wood attached to the underside for reinforcement. We have been told that Shelby American was considering carpeting these shelves for the 1966 models so it is my understanding that this is how our prototype came from the Shelby factory.

Besides the prototype spoiler and shelf, this car also came with a very rare 1966 factory Ford am 8-track stereo with black speakers in the door, a 1967 wood Shelby steering wheel and a Shelby Cobra badge mounted on the glove box door (see photo)...

Attached Files:

19. 66prototype

66prototype New Member

Shelby American owned this 1965 GT350 for 2 years covering 3 model years (65-67) of GT350's and this car was used as a factory engineering prototype for the 1966 Shelby GT350. According to Shelby records, as a 1966 prototype, this car received a rear spoiler, rear quarter windows, side scoops, underride traction bars, battery under the hood, 1966 side stripes, 1966 AM 8-track Stereo... (Since the car is actually a 1965 GT350, the override traction bar brackets still remained after they converted it and took off the other bars.)

As an engineering prototype this car came with a carpeted rear shelf with wood reinforcement, 1967 Shelby wood steering wheel and horn button (see photo), Shelby Cobra badge on the glove box door and Shelby records confirm that it did have an automatic transmission on it for a period of time in 1966 but it was then converted back to a 4-speed before it was sold by Shelby.

Hurst shifters were very popular in the 60's and we aren't sure if Shelby put the car back with the original shifter or if they were experimenting with the Hurst shifter on it. However, we have verified that the car has had this Hurst shifter on it since at least the mid 1970's and the car does have the aluminum T-10M transmission.

Attached Files:

20. 65gtfastback

That is one cool car.

Can you tell us how you lucked out and came across it.