Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 or 1966 GT350 with Rear Spoiler

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by markcruise, May 12, 2010.

1. markcruise

markcruise Member

I recently made a bet with a friend about the first American production car that came with a factory spoiler and I said that it was either a 1965 or a 1966 Shelby GT350.

It is my understanding that Shelby American put a rear spoiler on a couple 1965 or 1966 GT350's. Does anyone have any photos or information of these rare 1965 or a 1966 GT350's with the factory spoilers?

Please let me know and thanks!

2. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

The 67 was the first production Shelby to come with a rear spoiler.

When that came out, Berry Fiberglas made a rear spoiler kit for 65-66, with trunk lid and end caps.

Many guys put them on their early cars to make them look "newer"

I did. :p

I had a spoiler deck lid kit on my 66 GT350 back then.

3. markcruise

markcruise Member

Thanks for the quick response! I am aware of the 67's having spoilers.

However, I do recall reading somewhere that Berry Plastiglass (of Los Angeles) had made spoilers for Shelby prior to 1967 and that they installed them on a few GT350's at the factory. I am still hopeful that someone else may have some information about the cars with spoilers or better yet a photo...

4. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

This was the Berry kit prior to paint

[​IMG]

5. markcruise

markcruise Member

Thanks, looks good! I would have done the same back then...

However, I am still looking for information or photos from any of the original cars from Shelby that had rear spoilers on them.

6. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Didn't happen.

7. markcruise

markcruise Member

It was my understanding that Shelby American had initially ordered several hundred or more of the rear spoilers from Berry Plastiglass since they were planning to put these spoilers on the 1966's but as it turned out the spoilers didn't happen until 1967. However, I recall that Shelby had put rear spoilers on a couple of the cars including one of the 1966 prototypes... I am hopeful that someone may have some additional information or photos to back me up. Thanks!

8. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

To muddy the waters I remember seeing a picture of the shop where they were building r models or maybe trans am coupes and there is a 66 car with a spoiler in the back ground. Anyway, maybe they had one pretty early on the try out. Whether that car left to the 1st customer with it still on might be hard to prove.

9. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

The guy to ask about this would be Howard Pardee.....

10. markcruise

markcruise Member

I know that I had read about 65 or a 66 GT350 with a rear spoiler in the past and I seem to remember seeing a photo too... It would be nice if someone might happen to find the photo that you were talking about and share it with us. Maybe it is in one of the many Shelby books?

11. markcruise

markcruise Member

Yes, it would be great if someone could ask Howard Pardee or another expert about this... I am quite sure that there were one or more (65 or 66) that came with a spoiler from Shelby.

12. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Howard is easy to contact, go to the SAAC website and follow the bouncing ball. FYI, there were a couple of "one-offs" like the 66 Zagato & 65 # 10 with T-bird tail lights, 66 # 1 once had a blue vinyl top, but I don't recall any 65 or 66 with one.

Mike

13. g350t

g350t Active Member

This is a very interesting discussion. I have owned SFM6S009 for the past fifteen years and have documented the history of this car by personally talking with every owner of the car (sans the first owner), and this car had a Barry fiberglass spolier installed as early as 1968. It is not clear if the spoiler was installed on the car at the factory. I also have the car's original window sticker from Shelby American, and this document does not identify the installation of a spoiler, in fact this car was shipped the McFayden's Ford of Omaha, NB with NO options at all (no radio, no rear seat, no locker rear end and no optional Crager wheels). The list price was $4428.

When the car was restored in 1990, the Barry fiberglass trunk lid was taken off and sold at a local swap meet :(, and an original trunk lid was installed. I've attached two photos of the car taken in 1972 that clearly show the spoiler. While these photos do not prove that Barry fiberglass spoilers were installed on early cars, it does open the discussion as to the originality of the spoilers. I just wish the spoiler was left on the car in 1990!!

Attached Files:

14. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

As Mike mentioned you can easily contact Howard via the SAAC website or post this on the SAAC Forum.....

Dave

15. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Original installation possibility aside the rear spoiler trunklid was also available through Shelby Parts and Accessories and their dealer network. It was a division of Shelby American. It is the most likely explanation but you never can tell until you check it throughly out. Report back on what Howard says. Bob

16. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

An early/66 era rear deck spoiler IMHO would be one that would require that the end caps be bonded to the quarter panels (no solid mounting posts) and the trunk lid would not have the provision for the trunk lock (operated with a cable instead)

The first version was produced by Berry for one of the Grand American show cars built by the Anderson Brothers (toured with the Ford Motorcade) Have some period ads showing the rear of that car (later it was altered with a Fiberfab front end (in Central Calif the last I heard) - it was one of three cars built originally for the show duty during the period

My wife's 66 had (up in the attic) one of these early trunk and end cap combination when I first rode in it in the early 70's. The car had already been painted by that point but the original color (on the trunk lid under the weatherstrip) was still there but don't know if Peyton Crammer added it or if it was done by the first owner after the car (and others in the group) were returned to Shelby

17. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

The photo is in Shelby American #65 page 17.

18. markcruise

markcruise Member

Thanks for helping me with this... Is the photo that you are referring to taken of a 65 or 66 GT350 with a rear spoiler on it? I haven't seen this photo yet, do you have any additional information about about the photo including where or when the photo was taken?

19. markcruise

markcruise Member

Do you know where I can see these period ads that show the rear end of one of these 65/66 cars with the spoiler on it? Thanks!

20. markcruise

markcruise Member

It seems like I might possibly correct about rear spoilers coming on one or more 65 or 66 Shelby GT350's... Can you post a scan of the photo (Shelby American #65 page 17) that you are referring to? Thanks!