Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 GT350 - Original Blue with White stripes?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by A1965GT350, Jan 31, 2008.

1. A1965GT350

A1965GT350 Active Member

Gentelmen,
    [1] I thought that I knew "FOR SURE" that ALL 1965 GT350's were delivered in white with blue rocker stripes and optional blue Le Man's stripes. I found SFM 5S379 (looks like that # on my computer) saying it was a "true original" Blue with white stripes. Is this correct? Any other color combo's out there?

[2] Here the web site address:
    http://www.hamannclassiccars.com/listing/1965_Shelby_GT350-3832.html

[3] This is the site description:
    1965 Shelby GT350
    Beautifully restored true original Shelby GT350. This car is the only Shelby GT350 which was delivered new through the dealer in Denver, Colorado in blue with white stripes instead of the standard color scheme of white with blue stripes. Only two owners from new and fabulously restored.
    The 1965 Shelby GT350 is one of the most competitve cars in todays Vintage racing and qualifies for many important events including the Tour Auto. The car is presently with it's 2nd owner in Germany with current registration and all EC taxes paid.

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Steve Yates 66 Green carryover car (factory supercharged ) is the first other the White Shelby according to the factory docs I am aware of . Many were painted other then Wimbleton White after Shelby delivery for racing purposes so they would stand out in the pack but they all started out white from San Jose. I guess a ford dealer could paint one if a customer wanted to pay for it. The provenence would be up to the owner on something like that. I can only imagine how poor a quality a color change paint job would be back then.I believe the adv is inaccurate.

3. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

So...you don't think that metallic blue is the original color. ;)
    [​IMG]

4. 1966GT350-5

1966GT350-5 Active Member

According to the 1997 reigistry, the car was purchased by the original owner..."11/20/65 painted blue/white stripes. Maybe the car was discounted or painted since the 66 models were in the showroom by that time. Or maybe the original owner liked the blue/white but didn't like the scoops or quarter windows.

5. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

The registry states that this car was delivered 8/16/65 to courtesy motors in white with blue stipes. It was then bought be original owner John Albright and was painted blue with white stripes three months later on 11/20/65. It has been repainted twice to white and then back to blue. So this car is not factory......obviously.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

6. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Whoops....ya barely beat me to the punch!:thumbsup:

7. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

"fabulously restored"....painted fender bolts, wrong finish on just about everything else I can see, no name rad, no pix of the undercarriage.

Bob - what do you think about that buck tag and export brace welding?

Mike

8. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

The skip welding details of the Export brace reinforcment plate in the photo is not consistant with the method done at the factory. The buck tag doesn't belong there, and from the the same photo the what would be the stamped in the fender apron serial number does not appear to be present. There is however some irregularities in the photo that could possible be the stamping, but cannot confirm without a better photo shot. (I attempted enlarging the pic but could not confirm). To me it looks like a re-body, if the vin numbers check out, or a nice looking clone in Blue. By the way; wrong radiator.~Earl

9. 339

339 Member

Gentlemen perhaps you could address the discrepancy with the export brace mount with greater specificity.

Within the limitations of the photo, the 10 rather expedient welds shown appear unremarkable from my original. After I cleaned some of that whitish goop which was slathered over I remember thinking: 'That's why they plastered all of that sealant, and it must have been done by the same ham-handed worker.'

Your '65 GT-350s are different?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  10. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected on the brace - after reviewing other pix and various sources, it may well be correct. Entirely possible the restorer could not duplicate the beautiful sealer job from the factory. :rolleyes:
    The other stuff....Seller Hyperbole and poor workmanship along with minimal knowledge of how a "Fabulous" car should look. BTW, I just looked in the Reggi - there is a "Check" mark indicating there are some questions the registrars have.

Mike

11. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Surely shouts more investigation IMHO.

The buck tag ?????? Wonder what it could tell us. At least some of the sheet metal has been replaced.

12. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

300+ thousand dollars .. and yellow ignition wires??? ...loomed by Jr Samples):p . What looks to me like a repro hood. (cat fur FBG not weave) . I don't like the look of the valve covers. The export brace bracket it too neat looking for my taste. I'll bet it is a real car with a new front end.

at least the air cleaner doesn't say "Moroso"

lot of money..

I do like the color ++++

jimbo

13. striperacer

striperacer Member

FYI: back in the 70's David Castle purchased a 65 GT 350 from the original owner in Blowing Rock North Carolina that was John Deere Green with no stripes. Seems the owner took delivery of the Shelby and was pleased until he saw another one just like it (go figure) and took it back to the dealer to get it repainted a color that guaranteed he would not see himself going down the road. David painted the car back white and sold it to Lew Latham in Virginia Beach where it became one of the Shelby autocross regulars. Don't recall the #
    I agree something is fishy with the one you saw, keep both hands on your wallet if you go look at it

14. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Hmmm… I could lace into the detailing of the engine (more accurately the lack of it). But it would be sufficient to point out that although they are asking $325,000 for the car, they used a really cheesy $20 air cleaner, which won't even accept a repro air filter, just the cheap auto parts store filter to match the cheap air cleaner. I wonder what other corners they cut on their way to dreaming about a 1/3 million dollar payday.

I have seen fake Shelbys at local club events more detail-correct than this one. Heck, I know of a fake 66 that probably has more original Shelby parts on it than this one.