Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 GT350 on ebay - please educate me

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by crzy4shelbys, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

To me it looks like the plugs on the front apron but my eyes
    are not that good any longer.
    Texas Swede

2. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I think I see it now... that's a great observation. I didn't even notice it when I went back and looked the first time. I looked again after your post and now I see it.

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Josh ... I didn't see the note in the registry suggesting that the trunk battery was factory. Did I miss it in the notes?

4. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    I am on vacation without my Reggi, but as I recall, it was listed as a trunk battery car, an anomaly for sure, being so far away from the 330's.

Mike

5. crzy4shelbys

Hi Jeff,

It's not in the notes, it's in the resgistry portion (in the serial number grid code). SFM5S486 is listed as Y R R S S W 1, second position being battery location. In scanning the SA VIN's after S486, there's another late, non R-model with a trunk mount battery listed; 5S525. I knew there were some fliers outside the normal range, but I never realized there were some that were that high that still got a trunk battery.

Hey Mike - whattdya mean you don't have your Registry? You don't take yours on vacation with you? Priorities, man! :laf:

Josh

6. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Thought that might be where the idea that the battery location was FACTORY came from. Of course this does not indicate that the cars came equipped that way, only that the current or some past owner reported that the car had that feature.

The trunk mount battery thing, at one point in the past, was thought to be something that all 65s had and at some point one, both or none of these two may have been altered to fit that belief.

IMHO we have to hold any of this at an arms length. Too many owner reports/"facts" have been disproved over the years. ;)

7. crzy4shelbys

Jeff,

You had mentioned that earlier in this thread, and I probably should have been more careful with my use of the word "factory". My original comment was based on the owner being very thorough in his description of what had been changed and his statement that the plastic battery tray in the trunk was the original one that came with the car and not a reproduction. That statement led me to check the Registry, which also stated trunk mount. Based on other things I'd read, I thought factory Lemans stripes and wheel options listed in the Registry were based on factory documentation and I guess I made the assumption the same was true for battery location. I understand now that I was wrong on all accounts, but based on the seller's statements of what's original and what's not (and the fact that they match perfectly with the pictures he provided), I was assuming the information regarding the battery location was probably correct and just surprised that such a high numbered car got a trunk mount battery. Texas Swede's keen observation regarding the rubber plugs in the battery tray bolt holes leads me to think chances are pretty good this was a trunk mount battery car.

5S525? That's a different story.

You're point is well taken, though.

Josh

8. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

525 being a trunk car should be taken with a big grain of salt. BTW, I don't have to carry the Reggi with me anymore - I just memorized it (and the NYC Phone book as well) :)

Mike