Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 GT350 on ebay - please educate me

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by crzy4shelbys, Jun 14, 2008.

1. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

First off - I am not posting this here to trash the guy selling it or his car. I think this is a great car and I'd love to own it, I just noticed some things I'd like a little input on. Please take the time to read his listing as he explains many of the obvious things such as the front apron.

The factory LeMans stripes (Registry confirms it had them): Has anyone ever seen factory LeMans stripes with that kind of overspray at the trunk?

Trunk mount battery (again, Registry confirmed): in 5S486??? I realize nothing was clear cut at SA, but that seems pretty far out of the typical trunk mount range. Anyone have any input?

What's up with that radiator? I don't recognize it. Was something like that ever on a car leaving SA?

Any thoughts on why the front shocks would be blacked out? The engine compartment doesn't appear to have received a rattle can detailing job, it looks like it's seen 40+ years of occassional use.

Again, I am not starting a thread to pick on this listing since it really is a great car and a real opportunity for someone to get a relatively unmolested car, I just am curious about a few things.

Thanks,
    Josh

P.S. Can anyone spot me a few hundred grand? I'm good for it. :dance:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  2. harm

harm Well-Known Member

Left the money at the bank for,:thumbsup:You know the one not far from your house.Take a bag and a hand gun along and just ask for the 300 hundred thousand I left for you. They may ask or you may show them the gun so they know that you can get the money home safe. :doh:

LOL

3. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Looks legit - I see nothing in the pix that would indicate anything other than maintenance. He apparently has all the hard to find parts either on the car or in storage. The rear battery is just an anomaly, very cool "survivor" that would take very little to make a very decent driver. The tops of the shocks do look like someone tried to touch them up, and a few hoses would require replacement.

Mike

4. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

The tach pod in those cars sure take a beating. This one looks a little warped! But a rust free car with most all the goodies. Barn Find for sure!!! Not picking on the owner either. Just curious if the tach is working and the oil pressure isn't!!!
    No trailer queen but wanna have a little fun before putting it in a air tight bubble!!!!

5. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

He does mention the radiator in the listing:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  6. harm

harm Well-Known Member

I know it not in the 82 registry,
    When was it added to the registry,
    Even with him only being the second owner
    and with him living in TORRANCE, CA more
    people have to know this car

If it's true it be worth more that a newly restored car ,
    Did someone tell jay leno ?

The factory LeMans stripes
    Nice overspray photo. but then I never ever seen a factory LeMans stripes
    I love how rust can get under a tag.
    With more rust than the rest of the engine bay
    the monte carlo bar looks newly mounted

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  7. crzy4shelbys

Wow, guess I was asleep at the wheel on that one!!! :blush:

I read and reread that listing probably three times, just glossed over that, I guess.

There's something about a car like this one that I find incredibly appealing. Maybe it's the fact that it could be very carefully enjoyed without the major guilt I'd feel driving a concours car around. I would love to have this car and just correct a few things like the shocks and the radiator and the heater hoses, etc. and clean up a few things here and there but generally leave it as a time capsule.

If I were serious about it, I'd look carefully at the rear end for previous damage, though. That overspray at the stripes (since the Registry states they're factory stripes) doesn't seem right and the rear bumper sticks out WAY past the quarter panel extension on the passenger side. Since GT350's were built from mass produced Fords, fit and finish is not expected to be top notch, so perhaps that's the case with the bumper, but it would at least be enough for a serious buyer to focus on that area to avoid any future surprises. Again, I'm not bashing on this car, or the guy listing it. I'm definitely not implying that there's concealed damage, just observing things that I would look closer at if I were a potential buyer.

I really love this car. There's just something about it, aside from the obvious fact that it's a '65 GT350.

By the way, I went to go get that money you left at the bank for me, Harm, but I went on Sunday and they were closed... I'll try again today. :guns:

Josh

8. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I have a B&W Photo saved in my Computer that is of the Parking Lot at the SA Factory that is full of Cobras and 1965 G.T. 350's. A couple of the G.T.350's have Lemanns Stripes already Painted on. I will try to find the Photo and post it.

David.

9. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

Here is the picture i think David is thinking of. No - not too many cars got
    factory Shelby stripes.....my '66 was one of them and the over spray looked
    just like in that photo.......i spose 'paint em up and get em out the door' was their moto.....
    cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  10. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Looks like there is a number of "original unrestored" 65's turning up in Calif recently (looked at 5S193 a couple of weeks ago in the east bay area). Guess some owners figured they missed the top of the bubble and are trying to catch the backside ;)

Normally don't comment on ongoing auctions (VERY NEAT CAR- would like to see it in person) but just a couple of observations (BTW - the stripe overspray. You might be looking at to many "restored" cars ;)

Can the black Calif plates be original if the registry is right (first owner lived in OR)? Very small pretty unimportant detail mind you.

Also consider, the notes in the registry get there because someone sends them in not because they are always correct. Just because a listing reports a car as coming with air conditioning (just an example) does not always mean that it originally came that way. The registry is a great source but like everything man made it does contain some printing errors.

OK back to my not commenting during ongoing auctions

11. crzy4shelbys

Jeff & Snelly,

Thanks for the input on the stripes!!! I learned something new (not uncommon with all the knowledge on this site).

The Registry says it was originally sold at High Performance Motors (So Cal)and the gentleman listing it states it was originally owned by a friend of his fathers. My guess is the original owner lived in So Cal when the car was purchased and moved to Oregon before selling it. The original owner seemed pretty good at keeping anything taken off the car, so maybe he didn't surrender the plates when he registered it in Oregon. Like you said - minor point.

I thought the registry used factory records for stripes and Cragars based on what I'd read on http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/numbers.html, but that makes sense that it would be owner reported.

Thanks again for the input.

Josh

12. 6s524

6s524 Well-Known Member

Awesome car! It's amazing there are still 65's left out there that have basically been sitting for years without being restored to the hilt. I think the black California plates were issued alphabetically, and by region, My 66 convert has the original black TEW ... plates, so the SQY plates seem right. Perhaps the original owner had a home both in Oregon and California. Also noticed the day/night mirror. Maybe an early owner got tired of being blinded by those Corvette headlights while night racing! :thumbup:

13. steveshelbymustang

David
    I think the photo you are thinking of is the one without hoods with all the cobras. No stripes. [​IMG]
    This one has the LAX showing one car with stripes.
    [​IMG]
    This image shows stripe overspray somewhat!!
    [​IMG]
    Chuck Cantwell is with a car with stripes on the tarmac LAX
    [​IMG]

14. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

Great photos......thanks Steve !!! :thumbup:

15. steveshelbymustang

Photos are from Mark Hovander 1965GT350MUSTANG.COM I like to give credit where its due!! Thanks Mark for a great website for 65's

16. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

Wow! - I would do the absolute bare minimum to that car. Tidy the engine bay, change the shifter to stock, fix the driver's door armrest/handle thingy, and take the cover off the steering wheel.

I'd fix anything that isn't working properly, but otherwise leave it alone. Those battlescars tell a story that would be wiped out if it were to be 'restored'.

Proper car! :thumbsup:

David

17. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

My thoughts on this image tell me this is the arrival lot. Both the Cobra and the Mustangs are as they came to SA. Not on the mustang the K dress up kit on the engine, no cobra valve covers yet. Same with the missing hood, back seat, tach pod, welded export brace support, on and on. Even the battery is still in place.

I am currently scanning all of Dave Friedman's Shelby archive photography, as soon as I get to the GT350 batch I will have more info. For now I am in the middle of the FORD GT program, Cobra's and the Daytona Coupe design and build.

Attached Files:

18. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Correct, this is an arrival lot picture, before conversion into GT350s. But the export brace and welded support are on these cars and while it's not very apparent in that photo, the washer reinforced shock towers are also there. Those mods were installed at San Jose.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  19. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

20. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Most of the car moved through High Performance Motors (they were not registered then) and the registry listed the owner as living in OR.

Not that it is the case with this car (we don't know - but would like to see the original pink slip or early registration with the plate number) many owners purchase Calif plates for cars not originally sold there. Though years ago they often got the sequence incorrect. First letters indicate the year the next two would indicate where the car was registered (though I know of no one that has done a spread sheet of these - and doubt that after all these years it is possible from the records available)

Again .. a small point in the overall picture of this specific car