Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 gt 350 r - Serial Number Question?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by karen, Mar 14, 2005.

1. karen

karen New Member

1965 gt 350 r - Question?

My name is Karen, I am a waitress in california. I have some questions about serial numbers? Do all fast backs have an R in there number? for example 5R070 on the door?

2. karen

karen New Member

Re: Shelby GT500 - Who's got one?

I don't have one but I have a question? my fast back has 5R070 on the door do all fast backs have an R in their numbers?

3. csx4756

csx4756 Member

Re: 1965 gt 350 r

Only the gt 350 "race" cars had the R in the serial number

4. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Re: 1965 gt 350 r - Question?

On 65 fastback mustangs the "R" in the Ford serial number stands for the plant in which is was produced, there for you car was produced at the San Jose plant in Ca. If it was a Shelby and in the Shelby serial number was an "R" such as SFM5R001, this would stand for Race version.

5. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Re: 1965 gt 350 r - Question?

By the way, the 07 would stand for "Hard Top Coupe" the 09 would stand for Fastback

6. karen

karen New Member

5R070

:huh: The serial number on my 1965 fast back door panel is 5R070, it has a bumper delete and the original bumpers in the front where flared, but I threw them away, I bought it from a family that had keep it in there garage for 25 years, and then there son sold it to me while his father was away, it had been in his name since he was a child. It is in pretty bad shape it has been rolled it looks like the roof has been welded back on and it has been stripped of every thing. there is a battery post in the trunk and a place where you can see a battery box has been cut out. There are two small holes above the tail light and it looks like there was a roll cage at one time, you can see where the welds were. can any one give me any information where I can look up this car and find out any history on it. I started reading information on R models yesterday and it really sounds to me that this car fits the description. All the original parts are gone and the engine I was told is a k block with the heads missing. The father had had another set of heads forged on which I was told brought the horse power to 550. does anyone no how I can find this serial number information? :confused:

7. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Re: 5R070

Karen, Do you have the full serial number?

8. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Re: 5R070

Just to let you know A Shelby R-Model would have a SFM5R070. This would be very rare and very valuable in the range of $300K. If the number looks more like 5R070K000000 this would be the Ford serial number and the R would stand for the plant in which the car was made and in this case would be San Jose. One thing is that Shelby didn't put the number on the door. It would be under the hood on the drivers side fender.

9. Chepsk8

Chepsk8 Active Member

Karen,

If the car could be a Shelby, have you contacted SAAC about it, as they have all the serial number info, both shelby & original Mustang.

I have a Registry at home if the car has a Shelby VIN Plate on it. If not, just a Mustang Race Car.

10. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

THERE WASN'T A R-MODEL MADE WITH A SFM5R070 SERIAL NUMBER, PER HOWARD PARDEE