Join Shelby Forums Today

1965-66 GT350 Front Brake Specs

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by SoCo66, Oct 6, 2012.

1. SoCo66

SoCo66 New Member

Greetings:

I am in the process of compiling information regarding the differences between the stock 1965-'66 Mustangs and their GT350 counterparts, as my plan is to limit my Mustang's "upgrades" to period-correct Ford Cobra and/or Shelby mechanical specs.

For all of you Shelby gurus, my specific question is in regards to the front disc brakes. I have seen a number of references to "bigger brakes" being installed on the knock-down Mustangs delivered to Shelby American (possibly borrowed from the Galaxy?). While I am aware that the calipers were the 4-piston type Kelsey-Haynes units, were there any changes to the corresponding rotors or were stock Mustang rotors used with the "larger" calipers?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

pws

2. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

The used 2 1/2 rear metallic brake shoes and drums. They used the same K/H calipers as the Mustang excpt they used metallic pads.

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Stock 65/66 GT350's used stock 65/66 disc brakes. The" big brakes" were not race legally used until 1968 on the Trans AM cars .They were large KH calipers from the larger car line T bird and the like. The larger calipers used larger rotors too. The big brakes were retro fit upgrades on 65-67 cars or are considered "cheater" brakes by many vintage race venues on 65-67 cars.

4. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

As noted above the GT350 changes were:
    Front – replace stock pads with metallic “racing” pads
    Back – replace the stock drums & shoes with larger 2 1/2” wide versions
    The replacement rear shoes had metallic linings to match the front pads

If you use original type metallic pads & shoes on your car get ready for a little excitement the first time you come to a stop. When cold, they are quite ineffective. You’ll find yourself pushing the brake pedal harder and harder wondering if you’re ever going to start slowing down. I don’t recommend them unless you absolutely must have that original GT350 experience. There are much better materials to pick from today.

Steve

5. turbonut48

turbonut48 New Member

Heck Yea ! I remember the first stop I did with my 1968 GT350. I rolled right past the stop sign by over a car length.

You Have to drag them for a while when you leave your driveway.
    Get some heat in them, they work great !
    After the first scare, you never forget.

The Nut