Join Shelby Forums Today

07 Shelby GT Stripes

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by landostar, Jun 28, 2009.

1. landostar

landostar New Member

Howdy All!

I recently noticed some rust colored looking stains on the racing stripes on my Shelby GT, the Stripes are silver/grayish and I am not sure if it is a rust stain or what not I just know it is rust colored and it is all over my stripes from the hood to the trunk and most prevalent on top of the car a friend of mine thinks it could be associated with uv damage of some sort either way I would really like to get it off. So hopefully someone on this board can help me out I assume my options are:

1) replace the stripes - is it covered under warranty, if not how much can i expect to shell out

2) clean it off some how - I read somewhere online that clay baring removes stains like that but I'm not sure if it is good to use on my stripes as they are not painted on

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated THANKS!

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Send Amy at SAI an Email about the Stripes and you could also try cleanning them. Most likely, the Stains are from Trees. Try using a Claybar on them.

3. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Landostar:

As far as I've been able to determine, the reddish (rust looking) spots that develop on the Shelby's with metallic silver stripes are not from anything dropping onto the car. I've tried clay bar, and a number of Mothers & Meguiars cleaners on my stripes, nothing works and the "rust spots" keep getting darker and appear to be developing from the inside out. The spots are probably due to a reaction within the stripes to ultraviolet radiation. These spots occur even though I use a car cover almost all the time and have no trees anywhere near where the car is parked.

Ford knows about the problem and will generally replace the stripes. I believe the people at Shelby are also aware of the problem. I took pictures of my "rusting" top stripes yesterday and will post them to show what they develop into. This is the one item that I've found to be less than satisfactory on my Shelby GT. I believe the ultimate solution will be to strip the stripes off and have them painted on and then clear coated. The side stripes do not appear to be similarly affected.

4.6 SHLB

4. tesgt350

Hummmmmmm I rarely Sleep and the other Night I was thinking about the Stripes........ Could the Rust looking Spots actually BE Rust?????? Possibly from Rail Dust?

I had a White Mustang that was coated with the stuff. Rail Dust is Red Hot when it lands on the Cars and it burns itself into the Paint, and possibly in this case, the Vinyl Stripes.

Just a thought.

David.

5. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Tesgt350:

Interesting thought re the "rail rust" idea causing the spotting on the silver stripes. It could be a possibility. I live in Southern California, about 7 miles from the beach and there are no rail roads anywhere near. However, my back yard opens up onto the Los Alamitos Armed Forces Reserve Training Center (AFRC). The AFRC is an active military training airport, with helicopters frequently overhead and F-18's, etc. landing & taking off on most weekends. Because I live down wind from the base, maybe something in the jet fuel is reacting with the stripes.

Attached are a couple of photos of the "spotting." Note: the spotting starts out as a slightly grayish blemish and eventually turns a pretty bright red spot and interestingly enough is concentrated at on top of the roof nearest the windshield.

4.6 SHLB

Attached Files:

6. Deedee

Deedee Member

I have the Black and Sliver 07 Shelby and have had the stripes replace last Oct. 08 hasn't been a year and the spots have returned I am trying to find someone who will help me with this. I have talked to The Ford Store. Where I purchased it and they did help the first time. The Ford Store is now saying it's Shelbys problem. Gave me a number to call did that and talked to a couple of people who are aware of this problem. After talking to them and Ford e mailing pictures of the discoloring of the stripes. Shelby is saying it's caused by fall out. I belive this is not my problem. Shelby put a lot of thought and work in the package except for not puchasing the top of the line stripes. Low grade. I am very upset with this. On my 67 no problems at all. I bought the 07 to enjoy it and to show it because of the 40 year diffrence. Helpp

7. tesgt350

"RAIL DUST" happens when the Cars are on the Train being Shiped to Dealers. I am not sure how they get to SAI in Vegas or how they get to the Dealers from SAI, but if it is by Train, it is a good possibility that Rail Dust could be a problem. I know that VW, Merdedes, Porsch, Jag, and others cover the whole Car in Plastic to keep off the Rail Dust. Take a Magnifing Glass and look closely at the Stripes to see if there are any small dark Dots.

8. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

The stripes on my 07 Hertz car looked terrible when I got it,May 09,had a local
    graphics company replace the stripes,they look great and are the same type used on my 97 F-150 that still look good after 12 years.
    Steele

9. gary brown

gary brown Member

I bought my 07 black w/ silver stripes SGT new, and as of yet, have not any problems with fadeing or spotting of the stripes. Early on I was told about a product called 303 aerospace uv protectant for vinel and i apply it on the stripes between washes. I live in a beach commuity where the salt air destroys everything and my SGT still looks better than show room condition. You can find this product on-line or at your local pool and spa retailer. Hope this helps.

10. Deedee

Deedee Member

I am having my secound set of stripes put on. I am waiting for the dealer to call. I called and talked to Shelby and explained a few times that my stripes are discolored. I finally am having it taken care of again. But I would like to know how to stop this from happening again. I don't know what to do. I show my two shelbys together and don't like the negative feed back I get on my 07. I am so happy this is taken care of or going to be taken care of. Dee (Eleanor)

11. tesgt350

From the Photos posted above, I would have to say the the Shelby Stripes, are what I call, "Two Piece" Stripes. The Top Part of the Stripes are flaking off where the Wind hits it. The only thing I can think of to do is to have New Stripes cut from Silver High Performance Vinyl. The problem with doing that is, the Silver is has smaller Metallics and it is a few shades off from the Silver Stripes from Shelby. I am told that the Silver on the Scoops is Painted on so you would also need to repaint the Scoop if you change the type of Vinyl used.
    OR, you can bite the Bullit and get the Paint Code for the Silver used on the Hood Scoop and have a Shop Paint the Stripes on.

12. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

I just got my newly restriped 08 Shelby GT back from my Ford dealer. They had the car for 5 weeks. I'm happy with the new stripes and hood scoop. However, I am going to take the suggestion to use the 3M product 303 aerospace uv protectant. I talked to another SGT owner at a local show and he's used it since he got his car and the stripes have not discolored. The next time time, should there be a next time, the stripes will be painted & cleared.

Bob
    4.6 SHLB

13. Barricade07

Barricade07 New Member

My 07 Shelby GT has the same problem...it started with the roof stripes and now the trunk stripes are starting to oxidize as well. The rear part on the top is really bad though. It seems only the silver stripes have this problem??? I havent heard or seen anyone with different colored stripes have this problem..

14. Barricade07

Barricade07 New Member

was this covered in your warranty or did they make you pay extra??

15. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Barricade07:

The Ford dealership replaced the stripes under warranty. They did so without question, as I kept them aware of the changes taking place over time. It is interesting and unfortunate that the Ford factory produced
    GT 500's with silver stripes do not experience the same problem (per conversations with the dealer service manager). I'm cautiously optimistic that the replacement stripes won't suffer a similar discoloration/rusting that the original ones did. I'm also using the 3M product 303 aerospace uv protectant on the stripes every 2 - 3 weeks as suggested by another SGT owner.

Love the car, but the little quality control issues are a concern.

Bob
    4.6 SHLB

16. burkcs

burkcs Member

My 07 Shelby has this same problem. The stripes are so spotted and faded its ridiculous. Replacement of my stripes were denied at 8K miles when i first noticed the problem. The stated reason was due to fallout. I bought my car in April of 2008. No damn way my $40K car should have this kind of problem.

I see that some of you are getting your stripes replaced. Please provide info on how you are getting your stripes replaced under warranty.

I am gonna take my car to every Ford dealership in town until I get an approval.

17. HertzSoGood

HertzSoGood Member

I'm so glad I found this thread! I took my car to my local dealer and was told that the stripes are not covered under the warranty. I was given a price tag of approximately $300 for the trunk lid, or $1000 for the entire car, "plus a few hundred for labor". After reading the posts above, I took my 2007 Hertz to another dealer nearby, they said the stripes are covered, and ordered them from Shelby yesterday. The timing isn't great because the car is entered in a show this weekend, but at least I didn't have to pay for the new stripes!!

18. burkcs

burkcs Member

Did the dealer that approved the replacement of your stripes take pictures and send them to FORD prior to your approval?

When I went to the dealer they took photos and sent the to Digital Imagining at Ford where they denied the replacement under warranty.

19. HertzSoGood

HertzSoGood Member

The first dealer took photos and called me with the bad news a few days later. At the second dealership, I worked with the service manager and he said he just needed to notate that all portions are damaged so that they'd all be covered under the warranty. All pieces have to be replaced so that they match. I was not given any grief at all, no photos were taken, and he seemed genuinely pleased that I'd brought my car to his facility. In addition to replacing the stripes, I need a bit of repair to a crack in the front bumper and a scratch on the rocker panel. We're going to have everything done at once.

20. burkcs

burkcs Member

That an approach I hadn't considered. Do you know how the service manager described the damage? Stickers peeling back is all I can think of. I wonder if my stickers started peeling back on the corners if Ford would replace them.

How many miles do you have on your car? I have 13K.