Join Shelby Forums Today

Phil Hill movie? Anyone know which studio?

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Sep 7, 2009.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

On a website I found this story which they said is from Autoblog. I didn't change a word. I think Tobey is great for Phil Hill, I think he looks like young Phil Hill. My question from a Cobra POV is how much of it would be Cobras and GT40s? And who would play Shelby?
    Anyhow I hope it's for real because DRIVEN was so bad, it set back the chances for all car movies for decades.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tobey Maguire To Play Phil Hill In Biopic

While poking around for background info on another car story I came across this little bit of (what could be) great news: Hollywood will be doing a biopic about Phil Hill, the first American world driving champion, and Tobey Maguire is going to take the lead.

Like all announcements of upcoming racing movies, I look upon this with an equal mixture of hope and dread.

Hope, because I love a good movie, and maybe, just maybe, they can make a good one about racing this time around. And dread because … well Sweet Jesus, have you seen Sylvester Stallone’s “Driven”?

Racing movies, by and large, suck. They take the one thing that racing has in spades, unpredictability, and hammer it flat and paint it beige. Is the young up and coming bad-boy racer going to work his way through the pack with a magical drive to win the big race and get the girl? Well duh! People didn’t pay ten bucks to see Tom Cruise NOT win, now did they? Or Kip Pardue, if I want to keep the “Driven” thing going. But I don’t. Because up until “Redline” came out, “Driven” was the worst racing movie ever made. Yeah, “Redline” wasn’t exactly a racing movie, but it was centered around racing, illegal street racing, illegal street racing run my high stakes gambling rap moguls and Mafia types, but it had all the clichés plus a few new ones and really, really stank up the screen.

But a biopic about Phil Hill … now that could be an entirely different affair.

From what I could gather, the plans for the movie are to focus on Hill’s championship season of 1961, and his relationship with, and competition against his teammate, friend and closest rival Count Wolfgang von Trips. Right there you got something that sounds made up by Hollywood, but it’s true: the guys name was really Wolfgang von Trips, and he was an honest to God Count, but everyone called him Taffy, due to the color of his hair.

Many, many racers, and von Trips was among them, are very simplistic people. They have a desire to go fast, an uncommon amount of bravery, and a sense of competitiveness that makes fighter pilots look like nuns.

Apart from those basic traits Phil Hill was NOT like that. Hill was a hugely complex person and was dubbed early in his career as “Hamlet in a helmet” and they weren’t kidding. The son of a postman, born and raised in Santa Monica, California, Phil rose to prominence in the West Coast post-war sports car racing boom. He was friends with, and competed against the likes of Dan Gurney and Masten Gregory and Ritchie Ginther and Carroll Shelby when Shelby was a driver and not a car builder. More importantly, he regularly beat those guys, and seemingly everyone else he came across. But unlike those guys, he wasn’t your typical racer for the time.

Moody, quiet, introspective, he was most often described as “sensitive” and that pretty much hit the mail on the head. You could see that “things” would have an affect on Hill that would barely register with other drivers, but then in the next instant, you’d see that Hill would somehow subsume whatever external forces were causing him distress, and then go even faster.

And by “things” I mean typical events racers had to face in the 1950s and 60s. “Things” like seeing a friend and fellow competitor trapped and burning alive in his car, or having to talk with a team manager about a rival not just going off the track, but going off the track and mowing down a few kids like they were weeds.

Back then, most racers would just shrug and get on with the next task at hand. Death was everywhere, so why get worked up about it. Hill would, but only for the briefest of moments. You could see the shock and recognition on his face like you were reading an open book. Then just as quickly, the book would close, and Hill would go out, and everybody else on the track had bigger problems to face: Dealing with a now faster and even more determined kid from Santa Monica.

I won’t spoil the story (for those of you who don’t know it) about Hill & von Trips and the 1961 Grand Prix season, but suffice to say that if I were to present it to you as an idea for a movie, and you didn’t know it already, you’d think I was joking.

There is enough drama and twists and politics and pressure and, ultimately, blood on the tracks to make you think it’s the product of the overworked imagination of a Hollywood screenwriter. But it’s all too real, and hopefully, Hollywood will get it right this time, and the guy that seems to have enough suppressed quirks of his own (Maguire) can bring the story to the big screen with some integrity.

Source: AutoBlog

2. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I went to Autoblog, not same story but it's Maguire's own company

I'll have to see that book if it's inthe bookstores..
    ------------------------------------------------------FROM AUTOBLOG
    Tobey Maguire to play Phil Hill in The Limit
    by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Apr 2nd 2009 at 5:20PM

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines. The late, great Formula 1 racer Phil Hill is poised to come back to life in the near future on book shelves and the silver screen. First up is "Limit", a book by Michael Cannell that chronicles the relationship between Hill and his Scuderia Ferrari teammate Wolfgang von Trips over the course of the 1961 F1 season. That season saw (spoiler alert!) Hill crowned World Champion and von Trips killed in crash at the penultimate Italian Grand Prix. But for those of us who are too A.D.D. to crack the spine of a book, the movie rights are already being acquired for big screen production.

The project is being spear-headed by Maguire Entertainment, the production company headed by Tobey Maguire of Spiderman fame, who is slated to take the wheel as the legendary Phil Hill. Screenwriters and producers are already being lined up, but no word on who would co-star as the ill-fated von Trips. Given all that goes into a major Hollywood production these days, don't expect The Limit, as the film will be billed, to come to a theater near you quite so soon, but when it does, we hope it'll be closer to McQueen's Le Mans than to Stallone's Driven.

[Source: The Hollywood Reporter | Image: Noah Graham/Getty]