Join Shelby Forums Today

Dumb Question about the Shelby Dodges

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by tesgt350, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

A Black 86 Dodge Hatchback Car rolled in at the Cruise Inn and the only way to tell that it was a Shelby was the "CS" Emblem on the Front Fender. It has a Turbo 4 Cyl but nothing under the Hood said Shelby and nothing in the interior said Shelby. Wasn't there a special Dash Plaque with a Number? Is there anyway to tell if this is a real Shelby Dodge just by looking at it?

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

That would have been a Dodge Daytona C/S model. In 1986, the C/S stood for Carroll Shelby but on later models it meant Competition/Street. These were built by Dodge with engineering from the Chrysler-Shelby Performance Center. This joint venture worked on engine performance and handling for production Chrysler vehicles.

Shelby Autos released a limited series of cars under their own nameplate. These were all based on the lightweight L- and P- body vehicles and not the heavier G-body Daytona coupe.

robin

3. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I know all this. I just thought that all Shelby Dodges had a Dash Plaque or something under the Hood that would readily tell you that "Yes, It Is Shelby". Anyone can put the CS Emblems on the Fenders and tell you it is a Shelby Dodge. All of the ones I remember seeing, had a Dash Emblem that said "Shelby", Door Seal Plate that said "Shelby" and a Metal Dash Plaque that had the Cars Number on it. The only thing "Shelby" on this Car, that I could tell, was the "CS" Fender Emblems.

4. DeLa1Rob

Only the Shelby Dodges that were built at Shelby Autos, Whittier, CA shop have dash plaques and engine id's. The Dodge built cars can be identified by the VIN.

5. jokersall

jokersall New Member

umm sorry dude being my first post in here i may be killing myself in advance. could i possibly be missreading that when you say none of the daytona's were shelby's. if i am correctly reading that then allow me to but in. i have a 1989 dodge daytona shelby. have the title to prove it. as far as badges go i dont know of any. i have shelby decals on the side but not c/s badges. check for the 2.5 turbo.

6. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Joker; Does the title say Dodge, or does it say "Shelby". Anyway, this same "title says" thing goes on with the 60's Shelbys too. My title of my 67 GT 350 says "Ford". Now what?
    Chrysler made a "Dodge Daytona Shelby", but Shelby did not. It was an option on the Daytona

7. DeLa1Rob

And the C/S was the Competition/Street package available on Daytonas and Shadows.

robin