Join Shelby Forums Today

Aftermarket Stereo Shuts off

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by SHELBY GT, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SHELBY GT

SHELBY GT Active Member

Ok, just as background info I've been installing car stereo's for 22 years. I recently decided to replace my stock Shaker 1000 stereo with a new headunit. I purchased the C2R-FRD1 wire kit and plugged everything in. The stereo works great but when I crank the volume up the stereo shuts down but comes right back on in less than 8 sec and continues to play but then shuts down again. This only happens when i crank the stereo up loud.

I've turned the subwoofer off and crank the stereo up to the same setting and the stereo doesn't shut down. Not sure what it's doing that because this didn't happen with the stock Shaker 1000 stereo headunit.

Any ideas?

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

I'll take a guess that the aftermarket unit has higher preamp levels than the stock unit. At high volume, the stock amplifier is overloaded and begins clipping.

robin

3. 1967shelby

1967shelby New Member

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm curious if you ever found a solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same problem with the same setup that you described and have yet to find the solution.

4. SHELBY GT

SHELBY GT Active Member

I was told to buy a 5volt voltage regulator from radio shack. I did that and pliced it between the stereo remote wire and the amplifier remote wire. It stopped the popping noise but not the shut down. What have you heard?

5. Dingo2008

Dingo2008 New Member