Join Shelby Forums Today

2008 Shelby GT500 clutch problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by elliott, Jul 2, 2009.

1. elliott

elliott New Member

Have a 2008 GT 500 with 16000 miles. Took it to the dealer for a noise on the r/rear side wheel on hard acceleration. They called me back 2 days later saying I needed a clutch. I drove it in fine. They said after they tried it it had no clutch. And the warranty won't cover it. Clutch alone will be $2800 plus labor. Any one else experienced this problem? Is a recall coming anytime soon? Any attorneys out there wishing to compile a class action against Ford? Any help I'll gladly appreciate. Elliott 305-219-8782:mad:

2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

It is more likely that your mechanic smoked the clutch on the "test drive" trying to hear the noise you brought the car in for, good luck finding out the truth.

3. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Member

ford is notorious for their P.O.S. clutches. that is why everybody upgrades their clutches with a performance aftermarket clutch. my 03 GT went through 6 clutches and 3 transmission rebuilds (true story) before i took ford to court for lemon law. i lost of course. anyways, new tranny and a ram performance clutch fixed the problem. i now have a 09 shelby 500....after 2000 miles...my clutch was already slipping, squeaking, and whatnot.....and i have yet to do a burnout!!! i went with the spec 3+....and love it. ford really needs to do something with their clutches. a 50K performance vehicle should NOT be having these problems!!! my buddy beats his vette to death....and after 30K miles.....not a single clutch issue.

4. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

that is why i purchased the extended warranty on my 2010.unlike the standard warrant with exceptions, this warranty covers everything, and i mean everything,thumbsup: bumper to bumper (6yrs 70k miles) no deduct.

5. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Member

a fellow firefighter, huh?

6. firetruck

you guessed it. ladder truck 41. Dallas Texas

7. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Member

awesome. me too. T603 Frisco FD. you must love your shelby as much as i do.

8. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Member

hey firetruck, have you done any mods to your shelby? and if so, what?

9. firetruck

I purchased a high flow filter. it will not work unless you re-program. still stock. I think a machined polish wheel would look better on my black beauty. can't fine 19s the same as stock size. i like the bullet wheel, but i prefer six fans. the stock exhaust sounds great when you get-on-it, but while cruising in top gear it's to quite:dance:

10. Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor Member

geez...where to start with mine. i just got back from iraq, so i had A LOT of money to throw around. i have all the mods now sitting in my garage...but no cash for the installs at the mod shop.

mods: jlt cold air kit, whipple 160 mm throttle body, 2.6 upper pulley and idler pulley, innovators west 10% OD pulley, jba 3" catback, 373 gears, shelby/eibach pro kit, sequential tail light, shelby short throw shifter, supersnake center gauge cluster, quarter window deletes, carbon fiber mirror covers and front splitter, supersnake hood, supersnake alcoa wheels, 3d carbon side scoops, supersnake stripe kit, afco heat exchanger, moroso intercooler tank,......along with everything else on the wishlist.

now all i need is some money, the install, and a good tune.......then, prepare for takeoff!!

11. amar3549

amar3549 New Member

hey man yah my clutch went at 14000 kms about 9000 miles at first they said no to warranty but then they did cover totaly cost was about 7000 dollars just for parts

12. venomus

venomus New Member

13. allsu34

allsu34 Member

Clutch slip 2008 gt 500

HAVE HAD CLUTCH CHATTER FROM THE DAY I GOT THE CAR . FORD REPLACED CLUTCH AT 1,000 MILES NOT WITH 15,000 THE CLUTCH IS SLIPPING . THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN HOT RODDED . TRIED TO PASS SOMEONE THIS MORNING AND THE RPM SHOT UP BUT THE CAR DIDNT GO ANYWHERE. THEN I NOTICED THAT IT WAS HAPPENING IN ALL THE GEARS. CHECKING TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM AND ALSO IF TSB-08-16-4 WILL MAKE REPAIRS:angry:

14. rah1950

rah1950 New Member

Re: Clutch slip 2008 gt 500

the same thing had happened to me with my first shelby ford where very good and had the clutch changed free of charge this problem occured at 7,500 miles this seems quite common alot of reports of clutch failure sorry can't help any further than that see your dealer:(

15. d.r.ireland

d.r.ireland New Member

Hello. I saw your post and share your concern. I own a 2007 Shelby GT500, it has just over 9,000 miles and I replaced the clutch 3 weeks ago.

I was FURIOUS! Initially, Ford told me it would be a $3,000 cost to me, as it was now out of warranty...BUT, because the car had so few miles, they "Gave me a deal" and only charged me $954.

I am seeking advice for how to proceed with regards to a refund of my $954. After driving the car with the "new" clutch, it is COMPLETELY different!!! It NEVER clutched like this, so I have to assume the clutch was bad from the beginning, I just didn't know it.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?
    Thank you, and my deepest regret for all those who are experiencing this same problem.

Danielle

16. amar3549

amar3549 New Member

Hey man yah i replaced mine at the exact same miles. The dealer ship was very nice they replaced my clutch put a 2010 shelby clutch in, changed my transmission bearing for free. Their cost was 7 thousand dollars. You should have got it for free. The svt dealership in vancouver said that all the earlier 2007 shelby gt500s had this clutch problems and that if no dealership covers it under warranty they will (brownbrotherford) vancouver. But yah man fight to get your money back, when you go into a dealership with a problem like this go in there pissed off and just choked thats what i do. When i went in i was like wtf is this bullshit i spent 70 grand on a car and it cant even go 8000 miles without breaking down. and they were all like sir dont worry well help you rightaway get it all fixed up for you. Gave me a rental car that I put 3k on in three weeks as well lol. Good luck getting your money back though man.

17. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I am sure there are many threads on this issue. I started one called Shelby GT500 2007-2009 TSB's. I took mine in they said was fine and not to worry because I had the long extended warranty in case "something happens" later. And even put on the maintenance history "no problem at this time".

I am on my 6th mustang I've owned a 1979, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1997 and now a 2007 and all standards and I know how a clutch should sound and feel like.

If mine goes out before they fix it proper I will write nasty certified letters to everyone involved with the car and any attorneys I can find that are interested in the case PLUS I will call the national news station and also bring my own recording and have the car towed to the dealership I will pour gas over it and set it on fire and tell everyone not to buy a $60,000 car from Shelby/SVT because this is what will end up. Then post that on my YouTube page.

Thanks, Dan.

18. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Also I want to add some volvo out ran me the other day from start. After a couple of miles I finally blew past him on the interstate. Him and his girlfriend were laughing at me.

And I know how to drive a stickshift. I will say this NEVER happened in my 1989 LX 5.0 with the powerdyne blower on it. I don't understand.

Thanks, Dan.

19. amar3549

amar3549 New Member

at the last two posts the first guy is all business i like your atitude man.... the second guy a volvo beat you and it took a couple of miles to pass him thats a long stretch of road before you passed him. Somthing must be terribly wrong with your clutch man

20. cobrakelly333

cobrakelly333 Member

I just got my car back from Ford last week for the same reason. I have an 09 Shelby that just turned over 15,000 miles. They replaced the TSB sensor, clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder...but listen if you have a performance tune or chip- they will be able to detect it- even if you set it back to factory. My dealer covered me under warranty but the service manager was stern when he said" we'll cover it one time only"......i owe him a case of beer....yeah it was close to 2500.00 worth of work- however....when i got the car back- the clutch is so easy, not like my last one so i don't know what they put back in...

Ford is well aware of the TSB sensor issue- but there is no re-call as of yet....