Join Shelby Forums Today

2008 Shelby GT500 clutch problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by elliott, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Mustangmike

Mustangmike Member

Got the same BS with my 08 Shelby, car only had 1780 miles when I bought it, and noticed the problem almost right away.

Got the same BS its a race car its going to shudder when you take off, just give it more gas. Ya OK. Took it back the same week I was up for a CAI and tune, and just thought I better get this issue fixed first.

Drove in into the dealer, told him to please check my car. Told the guy if they tell me the same thing again, race car etc, that we're going over to the lot and I'm gonna drive two new Shelbys if the don't do it, I'm calling Ford... Got a call 4 hours later, telling me they found a problem and will fix it.

The car drives like a dream as it should for the price right?

2. ajeight

ajeight New Member

Hi all, took my 2008 shelby to maroone ford of ft lauderdale yesterday,putting 2010 updated clutch assembly in.

3. Lifter583

Lifter583 Well-Known Member

My 08 GT500 just turned over 8K and I have no problem with the clutch at this time..but I know I will soon have...so for me I have decided to not F*** with Ford and just replace it soon with a Spec Stage 3 plus...the clutch with steel fly wheel is about 825.00 and I can get it installed for about 500.00...

4. spyderbw

spyderbw Member

Hey Lifter583, let Ford pay for it, they screwed up!!
    Your SHELBY looks just like my 2008, Black with Titanium stripes, good color choice...I have never seen another.
    Back to my repairs, Galpin Ford did a great job!! Car turns over, starts faster becauce of the new aluminun flywheel, revs quicker, and the engine seems more responsive. Hope this is the final cure!!
    Any body needing a cure for their Shelby clutch, transmission, input shaft, and synchro problems...see Leonard at Galpin. He's the resident Shelby Gt500 & Ford GT expert, with more repair and care experiance than others. Galpin is a certified SVT dealer, I found that most others arn't, causing all the headaches because they don't seem to know what the problems are or the cures. Good luck on your Shelby, If I were paying myself, I would go the Spec Route.
    These cars are a real _____ of ____! But I forget the headaches when I'm behind the wheel and hit the gas!!

5. Lifter583

Hey thanks for the reply...but I am in North Idaho...a long ways away from a Galpin Ford...I have about a month left on warranty with no problem as of yet...and I have modified it to putting down 547 rwhp last dyno pull...so even though the dealer here knows of the problem...they wont get money back from Ford doing a change out...so the money I will spend will be better then all the crap I would have to go through...

6. ajeight

ajeight New Member

Hi all,
    Well got my car back yesterday,boy what a difference,ford installed 2010 clutch upgrade,total bill 4400 and no charge to me,The car drives completely different,it actually a pleasure to drive now...

7. cobra2008

cobra2008 New Member

Hi check out cobra2008 message. There is a TSB that will cover the clutch/fly wheel problem..but ya gotta fight for it!

8. Jim Spence

Jim Spence New Member

Just ran into the same problem this past Monday July 4, 2011. Brought it in because something was not feeling right. They said I needed a new clutch. They did tell me it could be around $2,800 to fix but now the estimate it at $3,400 but they said it could me more. I have 2008 Shelby with just under 25,000 miles. They are good people who I deal with. They will be getting back to me next week. Hopefully something can get done.

9. FiXXXer024

FiXXXer024 New Member

Just to share a horror story, my GT500 has 16,800 miles and just passed the 3 years on the factory warranty in March. Last month the clutch just suddenly started slipping and knowing what I know, I brought it in, calmly explained the history of the problem, the fact that I drive it sparingly and mostly on the highway, etc... was told that it would be $2600 to fix, dispite the fact that it's been defective since the first rotation of the engine. I took it to Ford, the owner of the dealership, the service manager, the service advisor... basically everyone ignored my requests for help. Ford offered to pay for half, but what's that if not an admission of fault? I said no and took the car back today, I'll put my own clutch in... they won't get another dime of my money.

Do not buy from JACK MADDEN FORD in Norwood, MA. They don't care about their customers enough to go to bat for them. I paid $4,000 over sticker price for that car and they couldn't reach into their pockets to keep a customer happy. Their service manager, Al Brown, is a wiesel. I chased him for three weeks while he ignored my phone calls, just for him to ignore my arguments in person and send me away without any resolution. 2012 Camaro ZL1, here I come!

10. M3-GT500

M3-GT500 New Member

Hey all-

I am on my second clutch with my 08 GT 500 and Im under 30K miles. Im done with Ford clutches. Any good recommendations for an after market clutch? SPEC? Centerforce? Can anyone tell me which has worked best? Any comments help!

M3-

11. Lifter583

I have 9500 miles on my 08 GT500 stock clutch is still doing fine...but I have a Spec STAGE 3 PLUS sitting in my garage ready to go! The clutch and steel flywheel was around 800.00 from American Muscle and the Ford guys quoted me 450.00 to install when the time comes...quite a few GT500 guys are running this clutch and love it..

12. LEMON GT500

LEMON GT500 New Member

LEMON GT500
    I am the proud (ha!) owner of what I think is the only GT500 convertible with 80K+ miles. ('03 & '01 SVT 'verts before it) As such, I unfortunately have more experience dealing with this clutch "issue" than any other GT500 owner. This vehicle was purchased new in 07. If memory serves me correctly, I am now on my 4th clutch and 2nd tranny. Every 15-20K miles, I go through the following:
    1) Bring vehicle to Ford
    2) Get told I don't know how to drive the car and that this is a wear and tear matter
    3) Provide evidence showing that this is a known problem
    4) Fight Ford tooth & nail to get them to repair it
    5) Succeed in having Ford cover the repairs they should cover
    However.......My most recent repair was done prior to the last issued TSB. As such, I am, again, having the same F'ing problem. The problem surfaced again just after the 12/12 dealer warranty which should have covered the work performed. Despite my efforts, Ford and the dealer refuse to stand by their product. I retained counsel and filed a claim almost 2 months ago. Of course, Ford is fighting it. Thanks Ford. I have made no modifications to the car and expect to win. In the interim, it's getting worse by the day. :mad:

13. joan.henderson@netapp.co

joan.henderson@netapp.co New Member

My 2008 Shelby's clutch gone at 11,400 miles. Appealed to dealer. Dealer appealed to Ford to cover. Ford said no. I appealed to Ford Customer Care and spoke to robots who could only repeat the same thing, "Ford doesn't have any programs to support your issue" Translation: "Ford will not stand behind this faulty clutch and ha ha, YOU, our customer will have to pay, and we don't care how many people you are able to negatively influence with your personal poor experience with Ford products". I asked Customer Care to send me their refusal reasons in writing but they said they had no email, fax or mail ability. Hmm -- seems like a defensive legal maneuver.

Dealer where it is being replaced was very positive about the big improvement with the new clutch and how happy I am going to be with it. I responded that it should be MY choice to upgrade the clutch when I am ready, not be forced to because of Ford quality issues.

I took a lot of ridicule for buying a Ford from my friends, family and work colleagues. But I was determined to show my patriotism and support the one American auto manufacturer that didn't take bail out money. Duh, now I know why Ford didn't need bail out money -- they pass along the cost of their mistakes to their customers. Brilliant!

Any advice? Anyone interested in a very low mileage 2008 Shelby vapor grey with black stripes?

14. spyderbw

spyderbw Member

Well, I got rid of my GT500 ,clutch, trans, input shaft, lack of ford support head ache with 26,000 miles. This was my first truly American built car in 20 years (not Canadian or Mexican built), and I truly loved the car, even to the extent that I was in denial that it was a P. O. S. Now with the passing of this overpriced headache, I'll go back to buying IMPORTS!!
    At least they are reliable, the manufactures and dealers support their products, and no more Found On Road Dead headaches!! Good luck GT500 owners!!
    I still think Carroll Shelby is the greatest....but he needs to dump ford......
    Maybe an import halo car this time...

15. spyderbw

spyderbw Member

I am thinking Camaro ZL-1, but I'm scared.....
    GODZILLA (GTR), maybe that's the answer!!
    0 to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds, 24 mpg hwy, fast!!!

16. TiCkLe

TiCkLe New Member

I called American Muscle today regarding the SPEC STAGE 3 PLUS clutch for my 2007 Shelby GT500 and they said that this clutch isn't compatible. They said the only clutch they can recommend to me is the RAM POWERGRIP HD Clutch.

After the Ford clutch going out with less than 10K original miles and Ford not helping at all with the replacement, I'd like to replace the clutch with something more solid.

Can anyone confirm that the SPEC STATE 3 PLUS clutch will work with the 2007 Shelby GT500? If not, Is the RAM POWERGRIP HD a good replacement?

I'd like to get this clutch ordered and installed within this next week so any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

17. 2009 Shelby

2009 Shelby New Member

Well it looks like it is now my turn to deal with Ford regarding a slipping clutch in a 2009 Shelby. It has only 19200 miles and hasn't been driven hard whatsoever. Its hard to believe Ford knows their clutches fail prematurely and won't back up their product. Any advice?

18. shelbyjay

shelbyjay New Member

I've had the SPEC Stage 3+ in my 2007 GT500 for a couple years now and did not have any problems whatsoever, until lately. But I have raced my car a lot in the past couple years, so I don't think it's any type of issue other than wear and tear. It feels great and is completely streetable, IMO.

19. madpersian

madpersian New Member

;)

20. madpersian

madpersian New Member

I have a 2008 GT500 with identical problem with 24k mi. Drove to dealer, drove fine. only had slipping under hard acceleration. dealer called and said I needed a clutch. Went to pickup car and return next day but car would not drive. Clutch was shot. I was told that is how it was when I took it in and my high$ extended warranty does not cover wear items, clutch,brakes,etc. Clutch is only covered by original warranty for 12 months. I had car towed away. I still think problem was in limited slip rearend. I quess I'll find out soon.:mad: