Join Shelby Forums Today

2008 Shelby GT500 clutch problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by elliott, Jul 2, 2009.

1. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Cobrakelly333 since your car is "fixed" and you can't ever go back there for the clutch problem again. Would you please mind telling me who your dealer is?

I desperately need to get mine fixed and obviously going to have to find a dealer knowledgeable and skilled enough to handle the issue as my dealer is obviously not.

If I can't get my car fixed I will be forced to desecrate the spirit of the of the lamp and either A set my Shelby ablaze or B trade it in on a Volvo like the one that out ran me on the interstate the other day.

Dan.

2. cobrakelly333

cobrakelly333 Member

You are right- I can't get another clutch installed but i've had them work on my 03 GT and paid for it so they know i'm a good customer and have known them(service guys) for a long time...- my dealership is Bob Tomes in McKinney, Texas.....i don't know where you are located...i also deal with a performance shop (if you are local) in Lewisville called HPP racing and they have done work for me and they could install a clutch for you a better one (which i am eventually going to do as well) and they will match any price on the parts you find on any websites- lethal, summit, etc. if you need phone numbers- let me know- and don't buy a volvo- your Shelby was just having a bad day!!!!!!!

3. joesowens

joesowens New Member

Re: Clutch slip 2008 gt 500

My clutch started slipping at about 40,000 miles. The problem is most notable in 5th and 6th gears. I have an '08 GT500 and drive 100 miles round trip to work about 3 days a week in this car. I like to hot rod and drive the car fairly hard. I have never liked the clutch and it vibrates badly if you don't launch correctly. The recent slippage is most annoying. I plan on calling my dealer soon.

Joe in Salado, Texas

4. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Some dealers aren't honoring the TSB unless they "diagnose" a problem. Sounds like they have no choice if yours has gotten that bad. It's a shame you have to tear your car up in the process of waiting on the clutch to tear up...like I have to also.

They should recall those clutches for the 2007 to 2009 Shelby because they already know they have even replaced some more than once with the new spec clutch. And now they are using the 2010 setup as replacements trouble free.

They should issue a recall on the 2007 to 2009 Shelby GT500 Clutch and replace it with the 2010 setup and be done with it.

5. bigb427

bigb427 Active Member

The latest TSB for GT500 clutch issues is 10-03-08. TSB 08-16-04 is outdated and not valid any longer.

6. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Well, my 08 GT500 clutch finally bit the dust at 16000. I was traveling down I-25 to Albuquerque for an appointment, went to pass a truck and it revved to 5000 rpm and wouldn't accelerate. Knew then it had bit the dust. Wife looked at me with a very sick look. Turned around and nursed it back to the dealer which was very lucky. Wife called them in route and let them know they might have to tow it. Topped the hill to turn into the dealer and I did want to take it out of 2 gear and loose my momentum.

Went into the Service Garage and parked it right in front of the Service Rep Podium. Service Rep was to busy talking to a friend on the phone so I walked away with the keys and went to the waiting room and set down. They finally paged and asked if the owner would come to the service desk after about a half an hour. By this time I was a little pissed but I kept my cool! Service Rep tried to explain to me how the Shelby was a race car and I had to expect clutch linings wearing quickly. I chuckled and let him give his pre-recorded speech about the GT500. He went on and on about how they were made to race and not for daily use. He told my wife the clutches were made to dump not feather on take off.

After listening to him spew for about 15 minutes he said it would cost $2800 to repair. My wife explained to him that we had an extended warranty and preferred care until late in 2012. He told us the clutch linings weren't warranted after 12,000/1 year. I really began to laugh! I told the Service Rep "so, what I should have done was burn the clutch up between 5000 and 11,500 miles and got a new clutch, then repeated every 11,500. Instead I'm being penalized to the tune of $2800 for taking care of it for the 16000 miles and then having it burn up! Not to get any more frustrated over the situation, I told them to get it tore down and call me. Funny thing is, I walked out of the dealer and just threw my hands in the air and said "God when am I going to get a break?'

We got home and both of us made a several phone calls to the Service and Dealership managers, Ford SVT, Ford Complaints and even made an appointment with the Dealership Owner. His secretary kept asking about the issue I wished to discuss with him throughout our conversation. I told her it was regarding a clutch problem on my 08 GT500. I explained to her and the other staff members, I was aware of the two service bulletins Ford had released regarding the clutch problems. I explained, with Ford being aware of the problems I didn't want the same garbage or anything similar installed again. This isn't the first time I've road this horse!

I'd already made a phone call to C.J. at Shelby requesting his recommendations on a clutch that would preclude any future problems. I already knew the answer but wanted to confirm my thoughts. He stated quickly and with out failure "SPEC 2+, with their Aluminum Fly Wheel." Thanks C.J.

Well as God would have it, we got a phone call later that day from both the Service Manager and the Service Rep, they would be replacing the clutch and pressure plate at no charge to us. We thanked them promptly!

I suppose what aggravates me the most is, Ford and their Dealer Network reluctance to fix the problem under recall. They aware of the problems but they want to play on the good nature of most GT500 Owners, thinking if they don't know then we will charge them the $2800.00 and if they bring up the service bulletins and complain then we won't. This is just outright dishonesty! Believe me service managers and reps have been made aware of this issue, are well briefed and have the dialog to go along with it. What's even sadder is they are more determined to take advantage, then step up and deal with the issue honestly. Ford should deal with the problem outright instead of hiding it in service bulletins for there Technicians. They should recall them and actually fix the problem instead of ignoring it until an owner complains about it directly.

I'm very fortunate not to have been charged and I consider it divine providence but this still doesn't excuse the tactics Ford is using to deal with this issue. I still have to laugh being told "the GT500 being a Race Car and you have to be aware it's not really a daily driver!" I say to Ford and it's Dealers, "Oh, then I guess the 4800 already in production for 2011 should just sit in the garage awaiting a GT500 racing series not to mention the 2007, 08, 09 & 10's that were sold. Then Ford can jerk the warranties for tracking the vehicles." Sarcastic, yes but Ford needs to understand all the GT500's produced are daily drivers and should have been produced with this in mind! If Ford thinks for one moment I spent 50K to let it sit in a garage and only drive it on the third weekend of the month, so the clutch won't wear out abnormally then Ford is as stupid as they appear. I kick myself for giving them an opportunity and selling my 911 Carrera. Won't make that mistake again.

The funny thing is I've had numerous vehicles which produced high horsepower and were actually considered track vehicles. None of them ever needed a clutch replacement after 16000 miles of hard or normal use! Most after being hammered on the track, didn't require a replacement till well after the warranty period or sometimes never. I believe it comes down to substandard materials Ford is using in the GT500's drive train. Obviously Ford is aware of the substandard materials is using aren't able to handle the normal wear and tear of everyday use and that's BS. They need to man up and "Git'er Done!!!

Moral to the story, "Don't give up, pester the heck out of them about the problem! Call everyone that has anything to do with getting it fixed. Take it in and demand they replace it on Fords dime, as it is a Ford screw up which they're most certainly aware of." If you give up with out a fight your going to pay the piper to the tune of $2800. If you have to do it yourself, go see your reputable performance shop or Shelby in NV and have them put in a SPEC 2+ with their Aluminum Fly wheel for around 1800.00. It will solve the short and long term problems.:thumbsup:

By the way if your in Albuquerque, stay far away from Rich Ford, their after sale service sucks! If you have to take your vehicle to another Ford dealer for service they'll treat you like crap! They will lie to you and generally screw you over! Honestly they're like a three ring circus! :laf: You've been warned!

Mine is at Don Chalmers Ford and I'd like to give them the credit for stepping up and doing the right thing but...............after all the phone calls and stress I don't know if they're worth of praise. They have the GT500 and are replacing the clutch for nothing and I'm still very leery about their upgraded replacement. I'll let you know how things go and if they are worthy of praise.

Still pissed about having to spend $200 for a rental car for the week though! No loaners but they got a lot full of salesman demo's!!:mad:Sorry about the book! Just wanted to let you know how things are going!

Cheers

Jeffafa

7. G8R CHOMP

G8R CHOMP Member

Jeffafa, et al:

I'm experiencing the same issues with my '08. This is my 2nd clutch rebuild.

The first time was at the dealer where I purchased the car. I started 'slipping' at 12K miles. At the time, the dealer said 'no problem' to the rebuild and advised that I not be so 'easy' on it. I asked them if they could make some adjustments for 'daily driving' and they said they would.

The 2nd time just happened at 32k miles. I took it to a different (closer) dealership, who said that the car wasn't meant as a daily driver, blah, blah. You know the story. Rebuild cost would be $2500. My response, "Um...no. Go back to Ford and ask again. This time I want a clutch that will last at least 60K miles."

After a little back and forth, the service rep said that they found the proper TSB and would replace the parts free of charge with 2010 parts.

Having the wife in the car with a slipping trany doesn't make for good family harmony. "You paid what for this car? And now it's doing this...A SECOND TIME?" :grrr:

-todd

8. G8R CHOMP

G8R CHOMP Member

Update: I got my '08 back. Man, what a difference. Things of note:

-Clutch pedal is MUCH lighter. It's about the same as my wife's mini. I haven't decided if I like this. I'm used to my clutches being very resistant. I ain't used to that there new-fangled hydraulic stuff.
    -My car doesn't sound like a diesel truck when I idle. There was a lot of noise down there before.
    -Shifting is smooth and responsive. I feel much more together on WOT.
    -Starting in first gear is easier to accomplish. Before the fix, I can't tell you how much studdering I did out of first because I didn't want to peal the tires.
    -The clutch assembly is a bit heavier, so there is probably a small sacrafice in power to the wheels. No biggie, though.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions. So far, I'm very pleased. Time will tell.

9. moonlight

moonlight New Member

Wow. My 1st post & I see nothing but clutch issues.
    I have 30K miles on my 2008 GT500. No clutch issues. Nada so far.
    Just picked it up from the dealer - over heated on the freeway.
    Thermostat. Replaced. Car washed. New coolant. No charge.
    They even wiped down my rims. I tipped the wash guy $10.
    I am running Steeda cool air, Steeda pulley & JBA headers
    on their 3" stainless exhaust system with cats & mufflers & x pipe.
    Dyno 541 at rear wheel.
    Thinking about ceramic brake pads though.
    Before my rotors are toast.
    Moonlight

10. fastcarsted

fastcarsted Member

I too lost my clutch at about 16k miles on my Shelby Gt 500 2008. They, being Ford is covering it, as there is a slient re-call for a problem with the clutch. They are building a complete new clutch, but only seem to be repairing the problem, as it occurs. I have been waiting weeks for the replacement and I have been told that it will many more weeks. That sucks, so much for driving a convertable during the summer months. You may want to challenge them about this.

11. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Well don't hold your breath very long on the wait. I'm going on month two, still waiting for the rest of the parts. I was finally able to squeeze a loaner out of them but pleaseeeeeee a Focus! Oh well! We called back to Ford Customer Service and they have elevated the complaint to another unit which deals with parts availability. This is about as poor a service as I seen from any manufacture and spot on par with Government Motors.:thumbdown

We're suppose to receive an answer in 24 hours.:laf: I've been a FORD Customer for most of my life with the odd fling into a Porsche and Audi. Believe me when I say, it's time to make a permanent switch back to the latter.

Don Chalmers FORD in Rio Rancho hasn't been very forth coming in their assistance. We've had the odd few calls keeping us up to date on the parts availability but that's all. I called and asked the service manager to ensure my GT500 was kept under cover. He assured me it was and sometimes they would move it out for other vehicles to have service done. When I made a visit to the dealership over the weekend, there it set outside in the same spot it was parked on initial entry. I asked him how were they moving it into the shop every night when the clutch was out? He told me they were pushing it.:grrr: He just stood there with a, deer-in-the- headlights look! By now, the battery has gone dead because they left the alarm on so they'll probably have to replace the battery too, Ho Hum!

I suppose on a good note, FORD Customer Loyalty sent me a certificate for $750.00 credit on any new purchased 2011 FORD. I got a real kick out of that. It seems as if they want to sell me a new one, so I will forget about the GT.

If this goes on much further, it'll be hammer time with a lawyer and a civil suit against FORD. I wish I could invoke the lemon law against them but the situation doesn't warrant at the moment.

d.r.ireland: Call FORD Customer Loyalty and open a case number up with them against the Dealership.

moonlight: You're fortunate with 30K. I'd still force them to repair it on their dime under the TBS. You will get a better clutch in the long run. I don't wish any problems with your's but I would say you'll eventually have the problem and your clutch isn't going to last over 40K. It is an inherent problem on all 2007's and 08's.

G8R CHOMP: Now I'm really pissed! It took you three days to get your's fixed and I've been waiting almost 2 months??????WTF:grrr: I wouldn't wait for the next problem. You've now justification to evoke the lemon law against FORD. With two consist ant failures I would wait for the third. With the TSB's out you have more than adequate justification to file against them. Your choice certainly!

Anyway here we sit awaiting some word from Fix Or Repair Daily. I'm not very hopeful or happy at the moment.

FORD I truly hope someone from your organization is observing these complaints! They're on going and I personal believe it's time to make the National Safety Council, National Consumer Affairs, Consumer Protection and the BBB aware of the problems. This is a bad problem which is going to cause a serious accident and you are doing nothing. I suppose my first step will be to contact the above agencies, both my Congressman and Governor and enlighten them. Enough said it's time for some action!:mad:

Cheers

Jeffafa

12. fastcarsted

fastcarsted Member

I just called them to see whats up. The car has been awesome. But, I hear Ford is having to completely re-manufacture the clutch from the ground up. At least that is what I have been hearing.

13. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

No their not, they're feeding you a bunch of BS. The replacement clutch is a SVT 2010 unit. Their supplier is having trouble suppling the clutches. All the part other parts ie., input shaft, flywheel etc are available with exception to the clutch pressure plates. We've talked to FORD Customer Service and Customer Loyalty. At this point I've filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Consumer Protection Agency. BBB is next, NSF, my Congressman and Governor. This situation is more serious then FORD want's to lead on. Someone is going to have a serious rearend accident which makes it a Consumer Health and Safety Issue.:mad:

Cheers

Jeffafa

14. fastcarsted

fastcarsted Member

Can anyone with a clutch issues contact me? I just got a call from the Ford Dealership this morning, that the damn clutches are not even projected for a release date of around September 21st, a month from now.

My car has been sitting at the local dealership for 1 month now. But, I must still contine making my $1,000 car payments and ins.

It's an FN clutch, not some speck car, that parts need to be hand-made.

I am pissed. Someone at Ford, is going to pay my last 2 car payments.:mad:

15. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

You got that right every time I drive my Shelby I worry about rear ending someone or getting rear ended. And it is getting worse I know it's gonna happen so my car sits parked in my driveway. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of it. I am totally unhappy with ALL of this.

Regards

Dan

16. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Have you opened a case file with FORD Customer Service and Customer Loyalty? If so, you need to contact them and have them elevate the complaint. They have elevated the our complaints to the point of pulling off the production assembly line to acquire the parts necessary for the dealerships. If you haven't opened a case file with the them, you're at the mercy of your dealership. They aren't going to step out of the way to assist you at all. You're going to have to do this one on your own. I'm in the same boat but you have to keep bugging them about it. Or nothing is going to happen. I've actually filed a complaint with the NM State Attorney Generals Office. So we are waiting for an answers. Keep you posted!

File a lemon law complaint with the BBB to get started. If enough owners do this FORD will get off there stinking cooperate arses and have to do something. If you sit on your thumbs and do nothing, it's actually what you're going to get back "nothing!" You have to be proactive.

Cheers

Jeffafa

17. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

What bothers me the most is to me this is one of Ford's Flagship models...Ford's turnaround...The comeback kid...I just don't get it all.

At this point I am sure they are aware of the multitude of the problem.

I just don't understand why they sit back like Toyota.

They are going to get a pounding over this one and it doesn't have to be this way.

Sometimes given the current situation in the economy and auto market in general I don't understand how the would let this just happen.

Regards

Dan

18. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

The comeback kid can't make a turn around and make it stick if they have a large recall to contend with. Cooperate philosophy is reactionary and always has been. They can afford to take a wait and see posture. To maintain a profitable bottom line when faced with the possibility of a very expensive recall, one of two things can happen! They can suck it up and do what's right or find a way to make it profitable which includes lying and extorting money from the consumer and covering up a serious problem. They have chosen the latter. This is exactly why they are going to loose many customers over this. They lost enough when they screwed up with the initial allocation of the first GT500's in 2007. Then they were left with allot of 2008's priced well over dealer invoice. Dealers got greedy and tried selling them for over $60,000. and wouldn't budge off the price until late in 2008, into 2009 and the price dropped out the bottom. Now there doing it again, this time with a maintenance problem. FORD has done more to destroy their reputation over the GT500 than any other model next to the Edsel.

I email them twice this past week through their website email and as you guessed it no reply. I ask for Mr. Don Chalmers to contact me personally, nada! I guess he's to busy to talk to a pee on. I at least expected the Dealership manager to contact me. Didn't happen. Give a good indication of being part of the problem instead of the answer. Obviously their Customer Service is sorely lacking. What we used to call in the military "a no give a Sh*t attitude!" So my initial rating of Don Chalmers FORD is mediocre at best, pretty much on par with Government Motors. So I'll do this the hard way and have FORD Customer Loyalty and Service call them everyday until the get it into their heads to lend a hand.

19. G8R CHOMP

G8R CHOMP Member

Yeah, sorry to hear you're getting the run around. I would easily be as livid as you over this. There's no call for that sort of treatment.:(

I like to complain about SoCal sometimes, but one thing I can't complain about is the lack of 'customer focus' I've received since being here. Back home in Florida, the standard line tends to be, "We do things a little different around here." Here, the dealerships really care about that "Blue Oval/SVT" certification. My parts came from Galpin Ford, a dealership with a very prestigious and storied history--same place where I bought the car. They work hard to maintain that name. I was told I got the last available part.
    As far as the lemon law goes, that would be tough and not something I would attempt without a good lawyer.
    1. The law is specific to items that are covered under warrantee. Ford and the service techs have been very careful not to say specifically that this is a warrantee item.
    2. Other than warrantee, we then would have to look at this as a safety item. Not much to say here because NTSB hasn't weighed in on this--not to say that there isn't an argument to be made.
    3. Last item to consider would be if Ford has been given a reasonable number of attempts to fix the issue. I've had 2, so far. If this last one addresses the issue, I no longer have a case.
    4. After 4 years, the 'lemon law' no longer applies. Good luck to the garage queens.

-t

20. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Well I finally got a call today from the dealer. FORD has overnighted the clutch to them. Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll have it back. You were definately lucky. Here in NM a portion of the Lemon Law states; "If the auto has been at the dealer for 30 consecutive business days for the same problem without resolution, you may qualify under the lemon law." We went well past that weeks ago.

Anyway, I say to anyone with the slightest hint of a problem stick to your guns, bring up the complaints registered on the many Mustang Internet Forums, bring in the TSBs all of them and don't take no for an answer.

For me, I've learned a very valuable lesson. It's time to make a permanant change back to a Germany made vehicle. With those German manfactures I've always had exceptional care and customer service, which means a great deal in the long run. FORD and their dealerships just haven't grasped the concept of such service and in the process has lost a lifetime customer over this issue. I wonder how long it will take them to realize their bottomline is directly effected by such poor service and the value of losing long time customers like myself.