Join Shelby Forums Today

When does a Shelby cease to be a Shelby?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mtrain, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

If restored, the car will be worth more than that great barn

It's terrible someone let this car go so badly but
    if you have another Mustang of the same vintage,
    and some Shelby parts you could put it together and it will be worth more than the barn in the background.

I could put a lot of cars in that barn....

2. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

I know a guy who had a 66 Shelby convertible "clone" built about 10 years ago. Every "Shelby unique" part of the car was real Shelby parts, from the all-steel hood, aluminum T10 trans, and real wood steering wheel, it was all NOS or perfect used parts. First-rate trailered-show-quality construction, too. I'd bet if Shelby himself ever laid eyes on the car, he'd give it a VIN.

I have seen a lot of "real" Shelby cars that were no where near as original as this fake.

3. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Except that that particular can never saw the inside of 6501 West Imperial Highway. It can never be on par with the cars that did. If Shelby did assign it a number it would be a "continuation car." I have looked at a number of very nice Mustangs that had a ton of Shelby parts. They all have one thing in common; they are nice Mustangs with Shelby parts. Nothing more.

4. 557

557 Well-Known Member

I would agree with that (and i own a real 67 shelby)but i think you(and whoever this person is that restored the mustang to the point that its probably undriveable)are missing one point:Be it a real shelby (or a shelbyized mustang)THEY ARE A KICK IN THE ASS(literally)TO DRIVE!!!!!!run what you brung!!!!!my 2 cents......Trent

5. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

Pretty good guess, considering it sold in the middle of the recession.

[​IMG]

6. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

With how much invested? Again,somethings remain to be seen as to whether a car is being sold with full disclosure (this one was not, at least not at the auction or within the paperwork presented to the new owner) or not...That and how much time and money is invested in the proper restoration (lost money on this one unless the seller had 100% of the correct original parts and did everything himself).

Bill S.

7. GoFastCars

GoFastCars New Member

IMO, A Shelby cease's to be a original Shelby when over 50% of the original sheet metal an fiberglass is replaced. If the vin tag, Shelby tag and such are removed an put on a 'Donor Body', in some states, it is cosidered, by law, an illegal car. With the price of Shelby's it is tempting for some to leave just a few panels containing the 'identification plates, vin number', use some original part's an then sell the car as a restored 'Shelby Collector Car', not disclosing the 'Re-bodied' history of the car.

Not disclosing a 're-bodied' Shelby may work in some sales venues or for some private parties, but when the Buyer learns they have been deceived an sold a 'Tony Branda Catalog' 'Shelby Erector Set Car', they are angry and must seek remedies. I am Not, at all, saying that Branda parts are not good,I am saying, that an entire car put together with new parts,new sheet metal an new Fiberglass, is no longer an 'original Shelby', but a clone wearing original Shelby Id tags.

Some may think it is 'Buyer Beware', but more and more States consider non-disclosure of a re-bodied car as Fraud. So, in opinion it is 'Seller Beware' of selling a re-bodied car without full disclosure. I hope this post was not to much for my first post. I am glad to be on your Forum. :evo: I have strong feelings an opinion's on this subject.

8. 2+2GT

2+2GT Well-Known Member

I agree, although some may argue the 50% figure would be impossible to accurately determine. If a 67 GT500 had a warranty replacement engine, and later on is was badly rear ended, requiring replacement of the car from doors to bumper, would it cease being a Shelby? The 50% rule says yes. Hard to quantify. In the film Laws of Attraction, one character asks his new mother-in-law "Is it true you're 56 years old? she replies "Parts of me are".

If, on the other hand, a Shelby runs off the road at a historic rally, and rolls through a ditch, and later gets all-new hood, fenders, roof, doors, and decklid, plus a new floor pan, I would call it a "re-creation". I sure as heck would not call it an original Shelby. Anything other than full disclosure of the extent that it is not original is a real problem for me.

9. CUAviator

CUAviator New Member

Thread revival from a newbie -
    I've got the opposite question - when can I put a cobra badge on my car without being a poser?
    I've got a 65 A-code that HAS seen the inside of the Shelby shop. The previous owner (who sold it because he's dying of cancer and cannot comfortably get in the car, has no kids, etc...long sad story) had some custom work done by Shelby for the crate engine that's in it and dressed it up like a clone. Now that i have it, I don't want it to be a clone and am removing the GT350 stripes. However, when can i put a Cobra badge on the car with sincerity (how much work needs to be done by Shelby)?

10. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

The basics fall down to your VIN, and the history of the car (is it a race car documented as prepped by Shelby?). If this is not the case, your car does not qualify to be anything but a clone at best. Sorry....