Join Shelby Forums Today

Carroll Shelby grand marshal of the Woodrow Wilson parade

Discussion in 'Shelby News Forum' started by rshelby, Apr 25, 2009.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Woodrow Wilson High plans 80th-anniversary festivities on Saturday

By MELISSA CROWE / The Dallas Morning News

Woodrow Wilson High School, a landmark in East Dallas, celebrates its 80th anniversary with a parade Saturday.

The school will also honor 20 new inductees into its hall of fame.
    Woodrow Wilson High School

The parade will start at 10 a.m. near the parking lot of the Lakewood branch of Wells Fargo Bank, at Gaston and LaVista. (A 9:15 "pep rally" will precede the parade.)

It will end at the high school, at 100 S. Glasgow Drive
    Link
    The grand marshal of the parade will be Carroll Shelby (Woodrow's Class of 1940), the legendary race car driver and creator of the Shelby Cobra and Shelby Mustang.

Lots of owners of Cobras and GT Mustangs have been asked to take part in the parade. Shelby, 86, will lead in a red 2008 Super Snake Shelby GT Mustang convertible.

Among those who will be inducted into the hall of fame are Ruth Allen Vail (1991), and Danielle Drury Petters (1985), Woodrow Wilson graduates who went on to serve as principals of Woodrow and J.L. Long Middle School, respectively.

Other inductees include Lawrence Good (1968), an architect whose projects include the master campus plan for the University of Texas at Dallas; '60s and '70s rock star Steve Miller (1961); and Lawerence Wright (1969), winner of a 2007 Pulitzer Prize for his book The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11.

“I wasn’t expecting it," Vail, the Woodrow principal, said of her induction. “Of course, I’m very proud of receiving the nomination, and I’m excited that people have thought of me as someone who has made a difference.”

Her father, Edward Allen, was a 1965 Woodrow graduate; her daughter, Karissa Vail, will be a freshman in 2010.

Also to be honored are the two longest-serving principals in Woodrow's history: G.L. “Pop” Ashburn (who was principal from 1929 to 1956), and Wayne Pierce (1971-1987). Between them, they contributed 44 years to the school.

Ashburn, who was Woodrow’s first principal, died in 1971.

Pierce, 83, is expected to be on hand to accept the honor.

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Are you going to be there Randall? Maybe you could snap a few photos for the gallery.

robin

3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it over there due to a previous commitment with my son. A friend of mine did check out the festivities and said it was a good time.
    Randall